Is a 7-day shave brush set a bit excessive?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
TorzJohnson

Is a 7-day shave brush set a bit excessive?

Post by TorzJohnson »

I currently have 5 brushes. I like having a rotation, and SBAD urges me to get two more. That would give me one brush per day of course, which seems rather neat and tidy to me.

However, when I see those 5 brushes on my dresser I start to realize how crazy that must look to a regular person. 5 brushes??? Who the heck needs 5 brushes, let alone 7?

Do you think I should get two more and kind of hide them away so I don't look so obsessive, or embrace my obsession like Dr. P and proudly display them?

Notice that I didn't ask if I should buy two more brushes. I already know the answer to that.
Jim

Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Jim,

First off, at this forum I can't imagine anyone feeling seven brushes is excessive....no, no, not at all. As you pointed out there is Dr P for comparison. Dr P's collection "might" be considered excessive. Also let's not forget msandoval858 who has a large collection of Simpsons. While I currently have 7 brushes, I have sold or traded 3 others....not excessive at all. Embrace them and enjoy. In fact, do not hesitate to add more.

regards,
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, Hiding and skulking is not the answer. It just compounds the guilt, and the obsessive-compulsive stuff remains anyway, and you know it. So, who's kidding whom? So, if you're going to act out, and buy two more, then own it, by displaying them......if you have the room to, of course ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

7 brushes seems perfectly reasonable to me - as long as they are not all the same make and model that is - this would be a bit excessive I think. As for display, a case protects them from dust and if designed properly can limit expansion of the collection, unless it's modular of course!

I have managed to keep my collection at 12 brushes for more than a year, although I have a passing interest in an Alibaba, I don't plan on adding any more.
Rick
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Who the fi-fa-fonzarelli is this guy anyway, drP with his excessive collection...some kinda obsessive-compulsive lunatic or what... :shock:

One brush is more then enough...jeez... any more is blatantly decadently redundant.... :evil:
Peter
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

7 day? Perfectly reasonable.

I'm considering making my 41 day rotation extend out to around 42 here soon :lol:
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

By design, I am quite brush-deprived. I own only 2 brushes at the moment - both badger.

Vullfix 1016 OEM with The Rose and Co. Apothecary branding
C&E/EJ Super Badger

The Super Badger gets all the use now -- I can't imaging having more than one or two additional brushes, but am sure there is some logic to it. I just haven't figured it out yet. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendell, Logic has nothing to do with all this.....you know that ( chuckle).
Regards,
Gordon
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

bernards66 wrote:Jim, Hiding and skulking is not the answer. It just compounds the guilt, and the obsessive-compulsive stuff remains anyway, and you know it. So, who's kidding whom? So, if you're going to act out, and buy two more, then own it, by displaying them......if you have the room to, of course ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, you make a good point. Skulking and shame will get me nowhere.

I will buy them, and display them proudly... and I will take up a truly bizarre hobby so that when normal people see my seven brushes, I can divert their attention to my collection of potatoes shaped like Larry Storch's face.
Jim

AFG

Post by AFG »

For quite a while I got by with 5. Actually that was a good number. I don't like having more than I can reasonably use. But then I saw a good buy on a brush I wanted and I had been using those 5 for quite a while so I bought it. I did put one up for sale but no takers and that's okay. And I have one more coming so that's going to be 7. But there's one more I want. So if I keep one as a travel brush does that count? I should think not so therefore if I do buy another and have 8, I really will only have seven. Perfectly logical don't you think?
Al
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

At this point, the only correct answer is "whatever makes you happy". :lol:
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

notthesharpest wrote:At this point, the only correct answer is "whatever makes you happy". :lol:
Yes, I'd agree. If 7 makes you happy, no reason not to.

I have 5. But I find myself going to the Rooney 3,1 most of the time. I like the others, but the Rooney just is the MWF of brushes for me: it's got supernatural properties. :shock: :lol:

Hmm. Maybe 7 Rooney 3,1s.... 8)
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I use one brush and have three copies of it, more or less (not exactly), in the cupboard. Not much need to rotate. :)
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

One brush. One wife. I am a happy man. Same brush and same wife for many, many years.

Buzz
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Buzz, Yeah, and one shave soap brand and scent for over a decade. God knows what you're doing hanging out with this crowd. You're obviously too sensible for the SMF gestalt ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Jim, I should think seven would be a minimum.
Regards,
Squire
IanM

Post by IanM »

Okay, here's my two penn'th.

I do think that a brush for every day is excessive. I only own two brushes, and only use one of those regularly, but that's just me. There are some people of this parish who think that I am brush deficient!

However, if you want more brushes, why the hell not? As long as buying them isn't going to compromise you financially, buy them, display them and use them in good health.

Ian
Last edited by IanM on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

IanM wrote:
However if you want more brushes, why the hell not? As long as buying them isn't going to compromise you financially, buy them, display them and use them in good health.

Ian
Sic.
Peter
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Well this is all subjective stuff so far. So here is the rational, logical, carefully-thought out objective answer to your question:

No.

8)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

Bargepole wrote: No.

8)
This advice certainly has the virtue of brevity to recommend it! Image
Jim