BAD advice

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
daedalus

BAD advice

Post by daedalus »

I want another brush or 2.

I've been into this "high end" stuff since May this year. Before that it was 43 years of what I could get...mostly boar brushes and Williams soap.

I have 3 brushes_ in order of purchase:
Rooney 1/1 in Super
Simpson PJ2 in Best
Rooney Emillion

What I use:
Harris Shave Soaps
Arlington
Almond
Lavender
Harris Cream- Arlington

TOBS
Rose Cream

Trumper Shave Soap
Limes
Rose

The Emillion is good for either.
Rooney 1/1 is my fav soap brush
Simpson is my fav cream brush, a little too floppy for soap although it will do.

Want another cream brush and another soap brush.

Thinking about several:
Rooney 3/1or2 Super or Best?
Vulfix... Model???
New Simpson... Model??? What grade?
BK4
Shavemac Model???

Have at it all you enablers!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Alibaba 2 (if you like soap brushes on the smaller side)
BK4
Simpson Chubby 2 Best (either old or new)

If you are interested in the $200+ range, you have a lot of options. :) Have fun deciding!

Warm regards,
Dale
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

daedulus, I bought my first brush, a badger, in 1974, and used it for over 25 years. I enjoyed it, of course, or else I wouldn't have used it for so long.

However, I really enjoy the Omega Sintex 90049 I am using now, and it cost only 15 bucks! It is surprisingly soft, yet refreshingly scrubby when I face-lather.

(Part of my enjoyment is due to the fact that I know what I'm doing now, thanks to this board and Mantic's videos. For all those years I didn't know how to shave or create a lather properly.)

I bought it on a lark, because I didn't think that a synthetic could possibly be as good as a natural hair brush. What put me over the edge in my buying decision was Mantic's comment that it is between a boar and a badger.

I haven't used it yet with a hard soap, but I have used it with the Proraso cream and the St. Charles Shave Wake Up! soft shave stick. Excellent results with both.

So I'm suggesting that in addition to the two top tier badgers you intend to get, you should also spend a trivial fifteen dollars for your own education, and call Giovanni to order one of these Sintexes like mine.
Last edited by GA Russell on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
goose

Post by goose »

If you haven't tried one, you might want to consider purchasing one true-white brush? Rooney Finest or Plisson HMW? I personally don't tend to prefer these brushes, but they would be quite a bit different than what you currently have in stock.

Otherwise, I would suggest a Kent BK4 for a cream brush that also performs surprisingly well with soaps and a Simpson's Polo 8 in Best. With the Simpson's it is best to speak with any vendor before ordering so you know what you are getting in advance.

Clint
Last edited by goose on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

+1 on the bk4
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

New Simpsons Chubby 2 Best

One of my favorites. Does an outstanding job with both soaps and creams.
Mike
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

My best all around brush is a Polo 8 in Best. As best I can tell, the new ones from Vulfix are still excellent brushes with soft bristles, a goodly amount of backbone, and a large enough knot to be luxurious.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Since you have a Simpson, a Rooney, and a Rooney Heritage, try a Shavemac. They are well built and have a luxurious feel with no floppiness. A Saville Row (from QED) is also excellent and well reviewed.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, I'm willing to go along with Clint and Bob; a PL8 Best and the very versitile Kent BK4. Why go nuts with this?....these are two superlative brushes, as almost all members who have them agree.
Regards,
Gordon
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I agree with the guys above as to the BK4- you just can't beat it as an all-rounder and it doesn't cost a fortune. Or a Saville Row xx20 from QED. I have one and love it for both creams and soaps. The biggest difference in use that I find between the SR and the BK4 is the size of the brush on the face. The SR's knot stays tighter and feels more nimble, whereas the BK4's knot opens up more. For the second, go with a PL8, best as Gordon and Bob recommend.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Scorpio

Post by Scorpio »

new Chubby 2 in Best excellent performer in both areas

Raf
"A well lathered face is only half of a good shave"
AFG

Post by AFG »

One of my favorite brushes is Simpson's Duke 3 in best. it has just the right amount of density for me and is a great all around brush. You might consider getting in on the group buy that is being proposed. If you like a longer handle, the Polo 8 is close to the same brush. The Rooney 3/1 in super from Vintage Blades is hard to beat for price. It really is a great brush but you already have a couple of the Rooney brushes so you might want to consider something different.
Al
daedalus

Post by daedalus »

Well, I decided to go with the PL8 but haven't purchased it yet. I just saw the thread about the Duke 3 group buy. Hmmm. In the meantime I gave my brother my Rooney 1/1 Super as he is brush challenged (read, boar brush for decades) and I feel obliged to bring him over to the light!! I replaced the 1/1 with a 3/1 as I like a bit more handle.
I am steamed that I missed the Simpson sale at Lee's Razors. Does this happen periodically?
goose

Post by goose »

Check out the Shopping forum. It looks like the 15% off sale at Lee's has been extended.

Clint
daedalus

Post by daedalus »

I did and it is. I thought I would check on it this morning after making that post and lo and behold. I couldn't get there fast enough. SO, the deed is done. A new PL8 Best owner to be!! Yahoo, hope it is a good as all of you say it is.

Donald