Does anyone know who Simpson's make brushes for?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
edgebreakdown

Does anyone know who Simpson's make brushes for?

Post by edgebreakdown »

On Simpson's web site it says that they make brushes for other companies. Does anyone know who sells re-labelled Simpson's. I have often seen it mentioned on this forum that , for example Vulfix make brushes for whoever, and Kent for so-and-so, but never a mention of Simpson's on this subject. Surely one of you eagle-eyed shave fans has spotted something. Anybody?

Here's the quote from the website:

For many years Simpsons have offered a range of 21 shapes in a variety of sizes using three grades of badger hair ? ?Super?, ?Best? and ?Pure?. In all there are some 80 different standard brushes currently made. In addition, a number of retailers have their own exclusive shapes and stamps registered in the factory.

Alasdair
Just one one more stroke on the hone and it will be perfect....... Oh $****
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i have a catalogue that shows some names on the back inside cover as follows:

bullocks
bloomingdalges
butler and crispe
crabtree and evelyn
john bull london
paul smith london
swain adney brigg
boots
j.jno.baker, sydney

dont know if that is current or not

sam
dirtdude

Post by dirtdude »

The John Bull line of shave brushes are Simpson. They are sold by Cambridge Chemists. The prices of the John Bull brushes are higher than Lee's, Em's and Charles Roberts.
Dennis
Bastida
Our friend from Spain

Post by Bastida »

Hello, I believe that some Trumpers brushes are indeed Simpsons.

Regards,
Bastida.
Virtus Omnia Vincit
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening, That list above is pretty old. Some of those firms are no longer even in business, although some of them, like Swaine Adeney may indeed still sell Simpson made brushes under their own name. Some of the more expensive Trumper brushes are, indeed, Simpsons. The ones labelled 'Best Badger', which includes several sizes of the Simpson 'Harvard' model. Although they are not in their catalogue, Gavin, of Trumpers, once informed us, on Wetshavers, that Trumper also has a few of the silvertips. And I must say, in all the years that I've frequented C&E shops ( since the mid-1980s ), I have never once seen a C&E brush that was a Simpson. Regards, Gordon
kal

Post by kal »

Quite right, I bought my Super Chubby 3 and major from Trumpers, they also offer Persian Jar silvertips but come to think of it I never noticed a Polo.
regards
Kal