Rooney 3/1 Super - Need Advice

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
gagarin

Rooney 3/1 Super - Need Advice

Post by gagarin »

I recently purchased a Rooney 3/1 Super in faux horn from Vintage Blades. It's a gorgeous brush, and it's workmanship is outstanding.

After five shaves, I have a couple issues with the 3/1, however. I'm having a hard time getting used to it's performance characteristics. I have been perfectly happy with my C&E Best Badger until now, and figured to upgrade to a somewhat better brush. The Rooney's tips are very soft, which, as a face latherer, I should appreciate. However, I like a 'scritchy' feel, not the velvety softness the Super delivers. Furthermore, I have to reload the brush after a couple of passes. My C&E Best seems to produce an unending torrent of lather compared to the Rooney. Possibly because of the Rooney's density, I find the soap dribbling down the handle, making for slippery hands. It's almost as though the density is repelling the absorption of lather into the core of the brush.

I don't want to give up on the Rooneys. I'm considering ordering the same brush in Best to get a bit less velvety feel.

Any advice? I've had good results with the C&E Best for quite some time now, so I'm quite perplexed.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chuck, I'd give it a bit more time. In addition to the fact that some brushes benefit from a brief break-in period, you said it yourself; it's a different kind of brush and might take some getting used to. When I first got my Plisson #14 EW several years ago, I was perplexed, and not overly happy. It was very different from the brushes I had become used to, and it required some time to get a sense of how to use it comfortably and effectively. The Rooney is much denser, and has finer gauge bristle, so, the soap/cream to water ratio will play out differently, and it will tend to hold more water, and more lather, in it's core then you are used to. Try shaking out a bit more water and build a denser lather....which will tend to stay more toward the bristle tips. In the end, you may, or may not, wind up liking the Rooney, but use it for a few weeks at least before making that decision.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

There's more than one way to look at it. Lather in the core of the brush is not doing any good. A brush keeping lather out of its core, and on your face where it belongs, is probably a positive feature.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, Well, yes...that's the virtue of 'flow through' that I keep yakking about. But, although I've only used one of them, I don't think that the Rooney Supers are so dense as to present a real problem in this regard. Hopefully, with some adjustment in his process, and some practice, Chuck can get the best out of his new brush. If, after a few weeks of experimentation, he's still not getting what he wants from it, then maybe it will be time for something else. I know that when Dominic switched from one of those C&E numbers to a higher end brush, it took him a little while to get used to the new one.
Regards,
Gordon
goose

Post by goose »

Any new brush tends to hold onto the lather more than one that has been used for a little while. I would stick with it another week. It is doubtful that switching to the Best grade would change your experience.

Clint
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

bernards66 wrote:David, Well, yes...that's the virtue of 'flow through' that I keep yakking about. But, although I've only used one of them, I don't think that the Rooney Supers are so dense as to present a real problem in this regard...
I might have misinterpreted the original comment, but I thought part of Chuck's dissatisfaction with his new brush was that it won't take lather into the middle of the brush like his old one does. I meant to point out that from my point of view this alleged defect was really an advantage.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, Okay, yeah, I re-read it, and that's what he seems to be saying. But 'flow through' is a pertinent concept in either direction. I think his problem will diminish as the brush is 'broken in', and it would also probably help if he incorporated a few healthy pumps of the brush into his lather making routine.
Regards,
Gordon
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

Thanks for all the good advice, guys.

I shaved again this morning with the Rooney, and tried to put Gordon's suggestions on technique to work. I started with a drier brush and loaded it aggressively, including pumping. The lather still remained largely on the surface, dissipating after a couple of passes.

As Gordon suggested, the brush may open up better following a longer break in period. Or maybe I'm just a floppy brush flow-through kind of guy.

Still not sure if I'll keep this particular brush. At the end of the day, I enjoy a more rustic 'scritchy' feel to the tips.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

My Rooney 3/1 was the same way when new. It really softened up after a month of use so I suggest you stick with it for a while. The 3/1 really is a nice brush once broken in.
Slant-Fan

Post by Slant-Fan »

If you want the scritchy feel you need a two banded finest. They are scritchy even in taller lofts.
Regards,

jimmy
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

Guys,

By way of an update, I'm starting to enjoy the Rooney.

I'm a bit ashamed to admit this, but I made the most common mistake of rank newbies by rushing to judgment based upon very limited experience. After a half-hearted attempt to sell the brush, I have continued to alternate it with my C&E Best. While the brush seems to be settling in and grabbing the lather better, I've also become more accustomed to it's soft yet firm feel.

Thanks for encouraging me to persevere. This brush is clearly a keeper.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chuck, Glad to hear it, and thanks for taking the time to update us on how you were getting along with this issue.
Regards,
Gordon
goose

Post by goose »

Chuck,

I saw that you had the brush listed. Sometimes its better when these things don't sell right away. Gives you some time to think it over. Glad to hear that it is working out for you. It should only get better from here.

Clint
OneRand

Post by OneRand »

I am a recent 3/1 user as well. With soaps I shake it three times and load like hell. With creams I use more creams. I enjoyb the feel of it on my face mroe and more every day.
-Roman
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Rooney makes great brushes.
Regards,
Squire