Rooney brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Shavemac thread? I have to admit to thinking about these Rooney's at some point during the day since they were to come on the US market. However, I can't wait for our friends review of the Finest with a few thoughts thrown in with regards to the 220 Shavemac that Chris has informed is now hand knotted.

Max
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Fellas'
Maybe I am not understanding something here, about the "plug"....

I have checked my SMF brush a couple of times this has come up and just checked it agin now. I followed Gordon's directions from some time ago about checking down through the center of the bristles for a "plug" that sticks up a bit from the height of the handle.

I can't feel any "plug" only tioghtly packed hair. It seems to me (unless I am not looking in the right place) that there is only hair in the brush handle opening..... ? Does that mean mine is "hand-made"? Or... am I not looking in the right place?
I have a ShaveMac 377 in finest, I can plainly feel what seems to be a "dowel" or something in the center of the hair, down close to the handle (sticks up just a bit higher than the handle).

Thanks.

- Gramps

PS... nice pics and review Peter... I look forward to your assessment of their latherability and use.
~~ Larry ~~
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Het Fijnste Handvat van Rooney. Plastiek of Hout?

Post by guenron »

Peter, is het zo lelijke handvat Rooney aangezien het verschijnt? Is het hout of hars?
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
mike

Re: Het Fijnste Handvat van Rooney. Plastiek of Hout?

Post by mike »

guenron wrote:Peter, is het zo lelijke handvat Rooney aangezien het verschijnt? Is het hout of hars?
That's why Ron's posts are always so helpful. They are clearly written and to the point!
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Ron

Holy cow, you should'nt even try to put a post in Dutch!!!! [-X
You embarass the guys on this respectable forum!!! :wink:

The handles are made from polyester, like the Simpsons and Vulfix handles are.

Aber, ich mochte gerne eine Anwort in Hollandisch geben, ware es nicht, das keiner dieser Leute diese Sprache verstehen wurde; daarom geef ik toch een antwoord in het Nederlands, om jou een plezier te doen; en ehhhhh...doe de hartelijke groetjes aan je vrouw Ron!!!
C'est vraiement une tres grande plaisir de responder votre question en Hollandais monsieur Guenron; j'aimerai bien de communicer avec vous en Hollandais, ou en Allemagne ou meme en Francais; comme vou voulez mon ami!!!!!

Peter
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

drP wrote:SNIP..

Aber, ich mochte gerne eine Anwort in Hollandisch geben, ware es nicht, das keiner dieser Leute diese Sprache verstehen wurde; daarom geef ik toch een antwoord in het Nederlands, om jou een plezier te doen; en ehhhhh...doe de hartelijke groetjes aan je vrouw Ron!!!
C'est vraiement une tres grande plaisir de responder votre question en Hollandais monsieur Guenron; j'aimerai bien de communicer avec vous en Hollandais, ou en Allemagne ou meme en Francais; comme vou voulez mon ami!!!!!

Peter
You do and you'll clean it up mister!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

ravi: i think that is solid, not liquid, so cleanup might be easier

sam
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

It's this kind of stuff that makes me want to turn my notifications off.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

nate, i am sorry. i was just trying to riff off of what ravi posted. sometimes what seems funny to me, is, after reflection, juvenile, and this is one of those instances. again, i apologize and feel free to let me know when i am being juvenile, for that is a bad trait i have

sam
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Sam, actually it wasn't your post I was objecting to. I have the worst bathroom humor of anyone I know besides my best friend; believe me, you don't want to be around us when we're going off! No, I was referring to all the stuff in French, German, and Danish. I can read some of it, but I can't help but see the posts as somewhat pedantic and exclusionary; I don't know that that is how they meant it, but that's how it comes off, at least to me. If they wish to PM each other in a foreign language, by all means they should. For the public forum, though, I think it's nice if they would converse in a language we can all understand. Just my .02.
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Peter, For God's sake a review!

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Larry, Now that's odd. Some other owners of the SMF brush have clearly felt that plug ( 'dowl' is a pretty good description, really ) down in there. But you do not, even though it is clearly perceivable in your other Shavemac. So, I don't know. It would seem like your speciman is not exactly like some of the others. Given that some of the others have plugs, it would seem unlikely that some others are hand knotted, but anything's possible. There is a third way to do the attaching of bristle to handle, that is occasionally used (PLEASE, do not ask me to try and explain it in writing ). I wish I could see the thing in person, sounds interesting.
Regards,
Gordon
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Thanks Gordon,
I don't know... I have little experience with these High-end brushes (some would say the SMF isn't High-end).

Is it possible that the hole in the handle, on my brush, is just a bit deeper so the plug is deeper? I checked again and I don't feel anything but the bristles. I don't think I want to cut it open to find out, though... LOL

It seems really packed-in, there.
~~ Larry ~~
guenron

Post by guenron »

Gramps wrote:Thanks Gordon,
I don't know... I have little experience with these High-end brushes (some would say the SMF isn't High-end).

Is it possible that the hole in the handle, on my brush, is just a bit deeper so the plug is deeper? I checked again and I don't feel anything but the bristles. I don't think I want to cut it open to find out, though... LOL

It seems really packed-in, there.
Me too Larry...
Regards,
Ron

guenron

Post by guenron »

drP wrote:Ron

Holy cow, you should'nt even try to put a post in Dutch!!!! [-X
You embarass the guys on this respectable forum!!! :wink:

The handles are made from polyester, like the Simpsons and Vulfix handles are.

Peter
Dank.
Danke.
Merci. :wink:
Regards,
Ron

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Larry, No, I suppose not. Actually, at one point I had toyed with the idea of doing that very thing, i.e. getting ahold of one of the SMF brushes so that I could saw it in half, and see what's what. I really didn't have the money to spend though, just to satisfy my curiosity. And now, it seems that the experiment would have been of only limited value anyway, if some of the brushes are made differently then are the others. Anyway, glad that it's working well for you. That's the most important thing, when all is said and done.
Regards,
Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Peter, what size is that Plisson in your pictures? I'm guessing it's a size 20, with a 28mm knot. How close am I?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, You're right on.
Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Gordon,

You know me better than i myself....and your memory is superbe.. :)

Peter

BTW: two more Vulfixes (Vulfices?) added to my collection; one of them is silvertip.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Peter, Thank you. Watch the forum here over the next several days, as I will have something just especially for you ( chuckle ). BTW, I have a Vulfix 377 Silvertip, have had it for months, but couldn't post about it.
Regards,
Gordon