Rooney brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Well, Gordon, now that you've let the cat out of the bag, can you post about your Vulfix silvertip now? Don't tease us!

Dave T

Edited later: I wrote this before I saw your posting in the Shopping forum, Gordon, so don't bother responding on my behalf, though I'm sure there's more you can add about the brush, and, besides, I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

Dave T
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Peter, you have a PM.
formula1monaco

Re: Rooney brushes

Post by formula1monaco »

Hi...I know your post is very old, but I have a Rooney Style 2 Size 1, just like yours, and it is currently the only brush I have (have had it for 8 years, and still perfect)

I am in the market now to obtain a few more brushes (3-5), and having enjoyed my Rooney so much, but had nothing to compare it to, I thought it wise to join your group, and get honest, objective assistance / opinions firsthand, as opposed to speaking with vendors.

So, I'm looking at Thater 2-band silvertip, Plisson HMW size 12, and I'd like an excellent Simpson.

Do you have an opinion on the Plisson High Mountain White vs their European White...most of the pics I see display the European White having obvious whiter bristles than the High Mountain White...could that be simply the ones I see are not characteristic? Do you know the difference in quality / attributes between HMW vs European White?

Do you have an opinion of Simpson stubby vs Rooney Stubby (both size 3..largest)

Thanks in advance,
Kenny
formula1monaco

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

When I saw this thread I thought the good Doctor had posted. Until I saw the original date. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Kenny, welcome to smf

Hopefully for your sake one of the good docs on the list see your question and chime in,,,,,,they are 'expert' in their plisson knowledge. I've used a simpson tulip 3 for years and so cant comment myself on the subject. My little plisson was used a few times and then benched :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
formula1monaco

Post by formula1monaco »

Oh, Clive:
Thanks for responding...I did not have my machine set to alert me with responses...I just did that.
So, I ordered a Plisson High Mountain White in size 14, because their website said that is the largest they had available, and I'm a bit disappointed, and I'll tell you why.
I also ordered their size 18 European White with Rosewood (special wood) handle, and it is ENORMOUS...LOL...but, it also seems to be whiter than the HMW.
Each brush was about $350, incl. shipping (averaged out)
Also, I already had a HMW from WSP (Wet Shaving Products), which seems to be whiter than the Plisson as well, and was pnly $120.
So, rather than return the size 14, I'm trying to work out a deal with them on a size 20 European White with Ebony handle (special wood), along with 3 plastic stands...I have extra stands, but none to hold the size 18, it is so big.
If they make the deal I'm offering them, the 2 European whites with special woods in enormous sizes, averaged out, will be about $400 each for the, and bring the size 14 down to $200...that I guess I can justify to myself...$1000 total for 3 Plissons with stands.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Colonial Drug had a few larger Plisson HMWs set in horn, Call Cathie or JP for details.

Buzz
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Nice classic thread dig....(some first ballot SMF Hall of Famers)

Welcome to SMF Sir. I just purchased my 7th Plisson (over the past 9 years). I would love to see the #18 you snagged.

Cheers...Mike
Mike
formula1monaco

Post by formula1monaco »

These are what I have so far, and I'm waiting for a Thater 4292 cocobolo 2-band silvertip, and another Frank Shaving 28mm knot...so far
Plisson size 18 with rosewood is far left
Attachments
image (2).jpg
image (2).jpg (420.67 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
formula1monaco

Post by formula1monaco »

sorry...here it is
Attachments
shaving brushes.jpg
shaving brushes.jpg (32.51 KiB) Viewed 4031 times