Kent BK4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

I just picked up a BK4 and I really am finding it hard to used to after using my beloved CH2 Super exclusively for 6months or so. The BK4 is REALLY flexible and not very dense. Mine is the faux ivory one and it does have the new label on the handle. I'm wondering if mine is less dense than usual BK4s because I'm not finding this brush dense at all. I don't think these brushes vary much from what I've read, but it would really annoy me to handle another BK4 and find it to be more dense than mine.

I've used the brush twice and if I don't get on with it after another use or so, I might be making someone a nice deal on the thing and just stick to my Chubby.

Best,
Marion
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

The BK4 is very soft. A different kind of denseness especially compared to a chubby (which is much much denser and has a shorter loft).
Richard
goose

Post by goose »

Marion,

The BK4 is a big change if you have been using a CH2 exclusively for a period of time. They are not nearly as dense as a Chubby, the hair is a much finer grade, and as Richard said the loft is much longer as well. They do make lather very easily and have a lot of flowthrough, but they do not provide any of that scrubbing sensation you are used to.

Clint
Antique Hoosier

Re: Kent BK4

Post by Antique Hoosier »

FLASHBACK!!! I posted in this thread back in 2008 lauding the merits of the Kent BK4 having used it with Trumpers Rose soap and what appears like a Merkur 38C.... My newest BK4 arrived today and it really brought back memories! Here is the photo buried in this thread... IRONICALLY, the Edwin Jagger soap I used was in this very same lather mug!!! Just realized it after I posted and just had to add that in the edit...quite a bit of longevity for any shaving item in my den...the bowl that is!
Attachments
2008kent.jpg
2008kent.jpg (359.18 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Mike
brothers

Re:

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:My birthday falls just a couple of days after Christmas. This year I am going to put all of the specific shaving items I want/need on my list(s). The BK4 is already on my list. Thanks for the positive review. It reinforces what I've read from others.
Just following up also, I did get my BK4 as I had hoped back in 2008, I've still got it and continue to use it although not nearly as often now as in the past. I should remedy that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Nice looking lather in that photo....indeed. I have noted your current posts re: the EJ soaps. I'm not sure if I could get with the fragrances they use but they sound like a good product.
Regards,
Gordon
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Gordon, I agree, the Edwin Jagger while produced in the manner of a hard English shave soap has some interesting scents such as the Sea Buckthorn and the Limes & Pomegranate which are sort of outside our traditional comfort zone. Since my once beloved Trumper Rose is a pale shadow of its former self I have adopted other lathering agents in its place. Gosh how I wish it would still produce such a great lather even the post tallow veggie version wasn't bad at all. Perhaps they will follow what appears to be a recent formulation of the Penhaligons soaps and become a performer again! I would be happy to use it exclusively if that ever happened. I am going to use Trumpers Coconut oil shaving cream with the BK4 today and I expect grand results!
Mike