Kent BK4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Dave T

Kent BK4

Post by Dave T »

I recently got a Kent BK4. I should say I finally got one. I've admired the shape - it's one of my favorites - but put off getting one in favor of Simpsons, Rooneys, Plissons, Shavemacs, etc. I've used it for a week now with creams, and I'm very impressed. I'm not sure why it performs so well. It's not dense; the hairs aren't stiffly firm, though they do seem to hold up; the hairs are quite flexible but not at all floppy. The hair is very soft but with good backbone. Amazingly, at least to me, the hair retains water nearly as well as much denser brushes. I have to shake it before creaming up. The middle of the brush retains lather very well, yet it gives up the lather freely. The brushing experience is something to look forward to when I get up in the morning and think of what's ahead of me and think of lathering up with the BK4.

The point I'm getting to is that with the exchange rate moving so much in favor of the US dollar, the BK4 is a bargain for Americans if ordered from somewhere overseas, such as The Gentleman's Shop. Robert sells the BK4 without VAT for 34.04 English pounds, which is in the range of 55 US dollars (as of today). So, my high recommendation for anyone looking for their first high quality brush, or for anyone, is to go in search of the BK4 from an overseas vendor. I don't think you'll find a better bang for your buck. It's a very good brush for anyone.

Dave
brothers

Post by brothers »

My birthday falls just a couple of days after Christmas. This year I am going to put all of the specific shaving items I want/need on my list(s). The BK4 is already on my list. Thanks for the positive review. It reinforces what I've read from others.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Dave hit it right on the head and the only thing I could add to his description of the BK4's peformance is that the brush also works very well with triple milled soaps. I hadn't realized the price had gotten down to $55. At that price, it is an absolute steal.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
goose

Post by goose »

Dave,

I totally agree with your analysis. I put off purchasing a BK4 for quite awhile because I thought it would be too floppy for my tastes. Like you, I had tried several brushes that cost 3 times as much, but the Kent is my favorite. As you said it lathers creams very well, but it also great with hard shave soaps.

Clint
rgc

Post by rgc »

After much consideration it was the first brush I bought . . . it is the only brush I have to use and I could not be happier. I still look at other brushes and I am considering a Pilson in brass, but, I don't need another right now.

If the $55 is correct, that is a steal as that is what I baid for a used one.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, I concur, and have frequently posted similiar for awhile now ( well, since I got the BK4 a year or two ago ). There are a couple of interesting things about it. From looking them over, I always assumed that they'd do a bang-up job with soft creams; afterall, Vulfix Supers do also. The real surprise was how good the thing was with high end hard soaps. That seemed to defy the conventional wisdom. My Kent BK4 will whip up more soap lather, faster, than my Plisson #14 EW. The lather will be slightly less dense, however....but still first rate. Another thing is that, actually, the BK4 is packed fairly densely. It's misleading because, due to the very fine gauge bristle used, and the considerable loft, the brush is quite flexible. But if you look closer, and compare it with, say, a Vulfix 2234, you'll see that the BK4 is denser than you probably thought. It's a rather intriquing brush. And at the price you quoted, a newcomer looking for his first higher end brush would be almost foolish to get anything else. On top of everything else, the Bk4 is just so damn easy to use well; no 'tricks', special techniques, or hoo doo required. It's the Schick Injector of shave brushes in that regard.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

one of these days I'm going to fold, but until then its the IK for me :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Gordon,

I'll look at the brush's density closer tonight. What you said about the brush actually being quite dense with hair that's finer than usual would explain its water- and lather-holding qualities. I couldn't understand how it could do that with a less dense knot. You hit the nail on the head about its being so darned easy to use. It's the most foolproof brush I've had.

Dave
jayb

Post by jayb »

I agree with everyone here! The BK4 is a splendid brush to say the least. From the way that it's packaged to its performance, it's top-notch English quality. For me, it works better as a bowl-latherer, not so much for lathering on the face. This is probably due to the fact that I am a small-framed guy and my face doesn't have the real-estate as others. :oops: I would not hesitate to recommend this brush to anyone. It's very versatile.
Justin
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

jayb wrote:I agree with everyone here! The BK4 is a splendid brush to say the least. From the way that it's packaged to its performance, it's top-notch English quality.
Just a point of fact, as I see this mentioned quite often on here: Kent is an English company, but the brushes are made in Italy.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
goose

Post by goose »

TBoner wrote: Kent is an English company, but the brushes are made in Italy.
Are you sure about this? What's your source?

Thanks,
Clint
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

By the way, the BLK4 is the same as the BK4 but with a black handle, and an attractive one at that.

Dave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Hmmm -- methinks the BK4 will be added to my shaving wish list -- right up there with a Chatsworth and Moss Scuttle (small, of course -- it hugs the brush better according to user reports..... :wink: ).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
goose

Post by goose »

Wendell,

Only makes sense. The BK4 is thought to work wonders with MWF.

Clint
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

goose wrote:

Thanks,
Clint
I believe this stems from an assertion made by Giovanni on his forum that Kent has subcontracted out production to an unidentified brush manufacturer in Florence. Joel, in a thread on Zenith brushes, has refuted that assertion. Neither has provided any substantiation for his respective position to date that I am aware of. At least a couple of the English retailers state that the brushes are made in GB. I shot Kent an e-mail asking for its position and eagerly await a response sometime in the next century.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
jayb

Post by jayb »

TBoner wrote:
jayb wrote:I agree with everyone here! The BK4 is a splendid brush to say the least. From the way that it's packaged to its performance, it's top-notch English quality.
Just a point of fact, as I see this mentioned quite often on here: Kent is an English company, but the brushes are made in Italy.

Regards,
I've never heard of that before.
Justin
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Thalay Sagar wrote:
goose wrote:

Thanks,
Clint
I believe this stems from an assertion made by Giovanni on his forum that Kent has subcontracted out production to an unidentified brush manufacturer in Florence. Joel, in a thread on Zenith brushes, has refuted that assertion. Neither has provided any substantiation for his respective position to date that I am aware of. At least a couple of the English retailers state that the brushes are made in GB. I shot Kent an e-mail asking for its position and eagerly await a response sometime in the next century.
Chris, you're right: I did get the information from Giovanni. I was unaware of the B&B thread, but it's hard to believe Joel and Gio would disagree on something.
That said, I suppose I offered the fact without substantiation, so I'll retract as best I can and say that I await further evidence (I'd edit the post but none of the rest of this exchange would make sense).

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Zach

Post by Zach »

Tim, my wife has a dark plastic hair pick; it looks like an afro comb; I bought it for her to replace a 'Goody' pick that I broke; it's from Kent.
I don't have the packaging any longer but I recall my surprise that it said something like "sourced in Italy" on it.
I have also read that Kent is outsourcing production in Florence.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I wonder if Kent's boar brushes are made in Italy while their badger brushes are still made in England?

Dale
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

TBoner wrote:
Thalay Sagar wrote:
goose wrote: Are you sure about this? What's your source?

Thanks,
Clint
Chris, you're right: I did get the information from Giovanni. I was unaware of the B&B thread, but it's hard to believe Joel and Gio would disagree on something.
That said, I suppose I offered the fact without substantiation, so I'll retract as best I can and say that I await further evidence (I'd edit the post but none of the rest of this exchange would make sense).

Regards,
Joel and Giovanni disagreeing on something? Will wonders never cease! I'm just waiting for their discussion to be held in 30 point font. Frankly, I could care less where the brush is made so long as it works, lasts and meets the desired specs. A company like Kent stopped being a cottage industry some time ago and subbing work out is to be expected. And who knows, both could be "right" in that Kent makes its hairbrushes in Italy and maybe some of it's shaving brushes, but reserves the higher end for production in GB, as Dale suggested. At the end of the day, the BK4 is still a hell of a brush.
Best,
Chris