Kent BK4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

If you have one with an ivory handle, surely you have to have a black handle as a matching mate. This way, neither one is a backup and you use both interchangeably, depending on your whims. And at the current exchange rate, you can afford one now more than ever, and you can pick up other English goodies at the same time to take advantage of the shipping charge and the favorable exchange rate.

:twisted: Dave :twisted:
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

The cookies will be at your house the second tuesday of this week. :D
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I feel like an enabler. The Shaving Shack (www.shaving-shack.com) is selling the BK/BLK4 for 37.99 UK pounds. With the 21% US discount plus shipping charges of 10.95 UK pounds, the brush comes to 40.96 UK pounds, which is about 63 US dollars at today's exchange rate. And I'm sure you can find some more goodies to include and take advantage of the flat shipping charge.

Dave

Edited to correct shipping charge
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

how does one get this 21% discount?

Scott
jayb

Post by jayb »

Hodari D. wrote:how does one get this 21% discount?

Scott
I think it's minus the VAT. But there was, at one time, a discount code. It was how I bought my first BK4.
Justin
Mr. Igg

Post by Mr. Igg »

Holy cow: at the stated prices ($55-$65 US), this top performer with both creams and soaps truly is a steal! To think I came **this close** to selling mine...

(I came to my senses, kept it, and fell in love with it again.)
Bryan
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Dan posted the promotion in the Shopping forum under a subject title something about 3 for 2 Taylor's lavender sale and 5% discount. Here's the link, I think: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33616

The discount is 5% for Europeans and the code is DISC5. The discount for Americans - and Canadians, I suppose - is 21% and the code is DISC5US. The extra discount is to make up for the VAT which is included in his prices. There are some good deals for the US considering the discount, the exchange rate, and the flat-rate shipping.

Dave
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Inspired by this thread, I ordered a Kent BK4 and it arrived safely in Tampa today from the UK.
goose

Post by goose »

Is this the third time you have purchased a BK4? Perhaps you just enjoy the experience of opening up a red tube with a Kent Brush in it so much you want to live it over and over again. :wink: The packaging and presentation is truly top-notch.

Clint
Antique Hoosier

goose wrote:Is this the third time you have purchased a BK4? Perhaps you just enjoy the experience of opening up a red tube with a Kent Brush in it so much you want to live it over and over again. :wink: The packaging and presentation is truly top-notch.

Clint
Yep..Third time but my FIRST New BK4...as mentioned the other 2 times was the SAME brush, purchased, sold, purchased and sold again. I hope to utilize this one as my sole shaving brush in 2009.
goose

Post by goose »

Did you sell your Plisson HMW in horn? I seem to remember you had settled on that one after you had collected quite a few Simpson's.

Clint
Antique Hoosier

goose wrote:Did you sell your Plisson HMW in horn? I seem to remember you had settled on that one after you had collected quite a few Simpson's.

Clint
I have NOT sold it yet. I do have 3 guys interested whenever that day comes.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Mine is on it's way :-)

Maybe Saturday.

Yep, all because of this thread. And that 21% discount didnt hurt either...
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Antique Hoosier

goose wrote: The BK4 is thought to work wonders with MWF.

Clint
I lathered my new BK4 up with a series of TABAC and Trumpers Violet shaving soaps to attempt to relieve it of that "fresh badger" scent... But tomorrow I will use the Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap and see how it performs!
goose

Post by goose »

MWF doesn't lather well for me and my water, but for those that it does seem to enjoy the combo of Kent/BK4. For me, the combo of the Kent BK4 and Trumper's Rose work exceptionally well for some reason. I also recently acquired a HMW and the Kent and Plisson have become my two favorites although it is odd that they are the least and most expensive brushes I have owned.

Clint
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Seeing this thread keeps on going and going and besides, I need to boost my posts if I want to reach 1000, I might as well add that I too have a BK4 and enjoy it very much. It's great with soaps and creams though I've become very fond of soaps.... I can't say I have found any differences between the scents of any brand of soap though. I have all the Trumper ones, nothing seems to stand out one way or the other.... they are just plain my favorites. I've got both Taylors, the T&H, MWF, AOS and DRH Lavender + about 6 of the QED soaps and a handful of the lesser known ones.... They all respond well to the BK4 and like someone else said, it's a real treat to open that red case the first time... it's a classy brush!

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

How does the BK4 compare size-wise to other brushes -- small, medium or large? I know there are sizes on-line, but I have a hard time picturing that in my mind's eye.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

jww wrote:How does the BK4 compare size-wise to other brushes -- small, medium or large? I know there are sizes on-line, but I have a hard time picturing that in my mind's eye.
Medium+ in my book. While the knot size isn't all that large the brush splays out quite a bit. When it is full of lather the brush feels much larger than it actually is.
Richard
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

9.22 am?? Doesnt smf change time automatically? YIKES...you guys are an hour ahead.....tell me the winning lotto numbers...I'll split the winnings with you :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I agree with Richard, though I'm at the office and don't have brushes at hand to compare directly. I can make a better comparison at home sometime later. I'm not sure that I'd add a "+" to the medium size description of the hair, though Richard is correct in that it performs like a larger brush than it is. The handle, of course, is more of a personal issue. It's long enough for me. The CH1 handle is too short for me and I hate that because it's such a good brush otherwise. The BK4 handle feels different because of how much it tapers at the base and it takes a mite getting used to, but it's not been an issue for me.

Dave