Kent BK4

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

The Kent BK4 was one of my first finer brushes. I purchased one on the Badger and Blade BST and enjoyed it so much I later purchased a BK8 and a BK12. I sold all three of them eventually, ( actually bought BACK the BK4 and the BK8 that I originally owned from the guys I sold them to....and then of course sold them once again...LOL).... Long story short, I have been recently considering acquring a BK4 once again and this thread pushed me over the edge. JUST purchased one online and await its arrival from Jolly Old England!
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Antique Hoosier wrote:The Kent BK4 was one of my first finer brushes. I purchased one on the Badger and Blade BST and enjoyed it so much I later purchased a BK8 and a BK12. I sold all three of them eventually, ( actually bought BACK the BK4 and the BK8 that I originally owned from the guys I sold them to....and then of course sold them once again...LOL).... Long story short, I have been recently considering acquring a BK4 once again and this thread pushed me over the edge. JUST purchased one online and await its arrival from Jolly Old England!
That BK4 is a magical brush. :lol:
Seriously, for the money, it is fantastic. It's one of my best lather making brushes.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

goose wrote:Wendell,

Only makes sense. The BK4 is thought to work wonders with MWF.

Clint
I knew that there had to be a connection -- only I don't think that Kent's brushes are manufactured in Yorkshire. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I bought, sold and then bought a BK4 again also.

As far as them being made in Italy, who really knows. There is no way Kent make all of their products in house, there is a lot of lower end products with the Kent name on that can't possibly be made in England. You can't tell me that Kent make everything from toothbrushes to cosmetic brushes. Italy isn't exactly what I would call 'off-shoring' in the way that India and Chinese products are.

The BK4 is an "easy" and excellent shave brush. The only other brush I have owned that behaves in the same way, only stiffer, is my Two Band Tulip 2.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, Some of Kent's more mass produced lower priced shave brushes, and other items are possibly outsourced to Italy, but the BKs are made in their facility in England, as are their classic boar hair brushes.
Regards,
Gordon
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

After reading this thread i went and looked at my bk4. It didn't say on the brush or the case, however on the little book it says they are made in England by warrant of the queen or something.
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hraefn, Well, Kent has held a Royal Warrant as brushmakers to the Crown for a number of reigns. On the inside of the case mine came in, it also says, Made in England, and a couple of long time reputable merchants have told me the same. The BKs are, of course, Kent's top of their line models, however.
Regards,
Gordon
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

must...resist...
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

iancevans wrote:must...resist...
Well, it is a very soft brush, so if that isn't your thing resistance is a little easier.
Richard
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Richard

On the subject of soft and delightful, how is the princess doing????

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

fallingwickets wrote:Richard

On the subject of soft and delightful, how is the princess doing????

clive
She is doing great, nearly 20 months old now, running, attitude, and saying lots of words. Thanks for asking!
Richard
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Resistance is futile.....

:D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

rustyblade wrote:
Well, it is a very soft brush, so if that isn't your thing resistance is a little easier.
Or:

It's a very soft brush, so if that's not your thing up to know you owe it to yourself to try one and find out... :wink:

I don't have a BK4, but I'd never rule one out. It definitely has a place in the canon of brushes.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

come to the darkside we have cookies. :D
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Oh, a soft brush is my thing, believe me.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

Hraefn wrote:come to the darkside we have cookies. :D
Okay. Mine should be on a plane tomorrow...when do I get the cookies?
:)

Serg
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

The BK4 cured me of a mild case of SBAD.

I started with a boar brush, then I got an C&E BB (good) and then I got a Vulfix Duke 2 (disappointed). Then I got a BK4.

My next brush will be another BK4 when it needs replacing. Then again the BK8 looks nice...

Pete
goose

Post by goose »

At their current prices I have thought about getting a backup BK4. I know...serious shave geekery.

Clint
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Clint, I have backups of my Simpson Commodore, my Duke 3, and my Vulfix 2234. I see nothing geeky about it. Indeed, it's among the most pragmatic things I've ever done. :wink: :roll:

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim, Sure it is....righto....no flies in your oinment, by George....( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon