A horn handled Plisson #24 in HMW and some of its siblings..

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Re: A horn handled Plisson #24 in HMW and some of its siblin

Post by brothers »

I was hoping this revival of an older discussion of Plisson brushes might entice the good dr.P to join in. It's been so long since we've heard from him.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, they certainly are something worth posting about.
Regards,
Squire
ben74

Post by ben74 »

I believe DrP has quite the interest in cigars now...

As for my Plisson brushes they are starting to see much more frequent use (all except my 2 genuine Ivory brushes (size 20 HMW and size 14 EW).
Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 2.23.28 am.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 2.23.28 am.png (218.33 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
Ben
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Ben, I know that you've much experience with Simpson Manchurians. Might you compare them to EW? And to Simpson two-bands as well, if you please? Thank you.

Kind regards,
Daniel
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've handled a Manchurian and owned a two band Persian Jar. I would like to hear a comparison with the EW also.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I can compare two Chubby 3 Manchurians (one vintage, one 2012) I have owned to three High Mountain White (all vintage) PlissonsI have owned. Nothing compares to the Plisson hair, especially the HMW set in the plexiglass handles. The newer HMW is not as long nor as fine as the vintage. The EWs and HMWs hold enormous amounts of wter and can create more lather more easily than any other medium I've encountered. They also have a feel on the face that I will describe as just plain wonderful...cosseting, really. There is no accounting for the Plisson mystique, it just is and it is real.

That said, the Manchurian is great hair, indeed! It is sturdier than the HMW/EW and requires a little more work to develop an equal volume of lather. Also, its feel on my face is more therapeutic (in a good way) than cosseting. Of course, both of the Manchurians I have used were over-stuffed C-3s and the badger may behave much differently in a less dense brush.

Further, I strongly believe that the shape and mechanics of the knot when wet has more to do with how well one can make lather and how it feels going on your face than does any variance in the qualities of these uber badger hairs. Buy the whole package, not the individual characteristics of the parts.

Buzz
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Buzz, your observation about the 'whole package' is insightful. Incidentally, I've had my eye on this Plisson in #12 for some time:

http://blaireauxplisson.com/fr/blaireau ... opeen.html

I find the handle appealing. Unfortunately, it isn't available with a #14 knot. Were I to opt for that, I'd probably choose the 'forme traditionnelle', as Plisson bills it:

http://blaireauxplisson.com/fr/blaireau ... opeen.html

From what I understand, your experience is limited to the HMW in the plexiglass handles. Nevertheless, as one of the Plisson experts on this board, I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Daniel
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

I perused Plisson's website and could not find any models with a plexiglass handle. Have they been discontinued? Buzz has ascribed the superlative performance of these brushes to the manner in which the knot is set into handle.

Kind regards,
Daniel
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Plisson has done this in the past, eliminated something from their line only to restore it later. About eight or ten years ago they ceased production of plexiglass handles, but they brought them back, albeit with European White and European Grey, as opposed to High Mountain White badger. Who knows what's up with Plisson? It does seem for now that they are no longer producing plexiglass brushes which is very, very sad. All I can say about other Plisson brushes is that I saw a few HMWs set in horn at Colonial Drug and they appeared to be exceptionally well made. I had seen some poorly made Plissons a few years ago, but they appear to have solved production problems or else Cathie is able to hand pick the brushes she stocks at Colonial. The badger in them is not the same as the HMW in the plexiglass handles, but nothing ever will be and we have to get over it. I would be interested to see if the knot one of these new brushes when wet forms the same candle-flame shape as the vintage HMW and EW brushes. Perhaps Gordon can now advise us on this matter.

Let me note that a vintage #20 HMW plexiglass brush recently sold on the bay for more than $1,000. Egads! No shave brush is worth that kind of money. One giant Plisson is not worth four or five times more than a nice Manchurian Polo or Chubby and it is certainly not four or five times more gratifying. If you have that kind of money to drop on brushes, my advice is to buy one #14 Plisson in ivory acetate, one BK 8 or 12, and one Chubby 3 in Manchurian instead of the plexiglass brush...you'll be much happier and can spend the change on soaps. On the other hand, there is that Plisson plexiglass mystique...it is a powerful force.

Buzz
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

You can get a Kent, Shavemac, or Thater in plexi, too, and they're supposed to be all be cushy and soft from what I've heard -- but of course they'd be nothing like the Plissons you describe, Buzz. But for a modern plexi* fix, there's that option. I appreciate what you and other plexi fans have done to keep this style up front in our collective awareness. I'd love to have one.

*The block-handled plexi, a la Plisson, particularly.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Daniel, Well, from my very limited experience there seems to be something to what Buzz has always maintained regarding the Plexiglass handled Plisson models; to wit, they seem somewhat different even from other Plissons of the same hair grade and size. The #12 I recently received from Stan has a different feel and behaves somewhat differently from my other two Plisson whites. For one thing the knot is not as dense yet it holds exceptional amounts of water. In use, on the face, it feels more like a Kent BK than anything else. Both Buzz and I suspect that the knots may be set differently on the Plexiglass handled models. These handles never particularly appealed to me aesthetics-wise, but the performance seems exceptional. For the record, I have no idea when this #12 was actually made. I'd assumed it was relatively recently but I don't really know.
Regards,
Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

M6Classic wrote:Let me note that a vintage #20 HMW plexiglass brush recently sold on the bay for more than $1,000.
Guess who bought it... :mrgreen:

BTW: i have indeed still quite a passion for Habanos nowadays...but i simply couldn't resist that huge HMW Plisson.
Peter
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

drP wrote:
M6Classic wrote:Let me note that a vintage #20 HMW plexiglass brush recently sold on the bay for more than $1,000.
Guess who bought it... :mrgreen:

BTW: i have indeed still quite a passion for Habanos nowadays...but i simply couldn't resist that huge HMW Plisson.
Okayyyyy...then how much will you pay for my #24?

Buzz
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Welcome back, Peter! Glad you're still operational.
Ron
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Welcome back, Peter!
57 thumbs up on the sentiment

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Good to see you back Peter. Another great brush acquisition, congratulations. :mrgreen:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote:
Welcome back, Peter!
57 thumbs up on the sentiment

clive
59 thumbs up!
woodsrider