A horn handled Plisson #24 in HMW and some of its siblings..

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

A horn handled Plisson #24 in HMW and some of its siblings..

Post by drP »

Once again i let my SBAD prevail and pulled the trigger for one of those three #24's Plisson manufacured at the end of 2008.
I hoped for a two band HMW but couldn't exclude that it turned out to be three band...then again for such an expensive specimen Plisson simply couldn't afford to use three band. If it had been three band i would have returned it immediately.
Two band it is as you can see....
As for the horn: the patterns and the color of this #24 are rather...well..."explicit " if you catch my drift...not very "subtle"...frankly i prefer the dark and blond horn of the two ##20; but oh well..such a special brush ought to have a special handle and i already have three of those blond horn beauties...

Here are some pictures to give an impression (light conditions are not good at all in the winter in my bathroom...)

The four brushes in a row are fltr: #12, #16, #20, #24
(a #18 is on its way to the Netherlands.... :wink: )

PS: i wonder who bought the other two ##24.... :?:
Peter
Zach

Post by Zach »

On the top of the list as far as the brush being an expression of beauty.
Use them in good health!

Zach
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Gorgeous family of brushes Peter - congratulations! I can't recall but what are the knot sizes of the #16, #20 & #24?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Gorgeous family of brushes Peter - congratulations! I can't recall but what are the knot sizes of the #16, #20 & #24?

Ravi, here they are:

#16 24 mm
#20 28 mm
#24 32 mm (according to Plisson 31 mm, but i measured 32 mm)
Peter
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

drP wrote:
Blue As A Jewel wrote:Gorgeous family of brushes Peter - congratulations! I can't recall but what are the knot sizes of the #16, #20 & #24?

Ravi, here they are:

#16 24 mm
#20 28 mm
Simple - add 8 to the Plisson number to get the measurement. Must be some sort of French code.
Numereau Plisson = (taille - huit)

Stunning brushes, every one of them.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

drP wrote:

Ravi, here they are:

#16 24 mm
#20 28 mm
I have what I would guess is a #24 HMW set in plexiglass. I don't measure it very often, but it can be either 31 or 32 mm. With that much hair, I can easilly see how atmospheric conditions could cause the calibre of the knot to change from day to day.

Buzz
Amyn

Post by Amyn »

Beautiful brushes!!!
Nice to finally see some 2 bands from Plisson.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Congratulations, Peter. I know you've been waiting awhile for that one to make it's appearance. It is one hell of a nice collection of horn handled Plisson HMWs that you have. I'm glad that of the three made, one of them went to a SMF member ( I knew that we could count on you....chuckle ), and I too wonder who got the other two.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Beautiful array Peter. SLCSteve might be one I am guessing, or Chris Fisher?
Ken

Post by Ken »

ichabod wrote:
drP wrote:

Ravi, here they are:

#16 24 mm
#20 28 mm
Simple - add 8 to the Plisson number to get the measurement. Must be some sort of French code.
Numereau Plisson = (taille - huit)

Stunning brushes, every one of them.
The sizing is like that--+8-- only for the larger brushes. For example, the 12 is 22 mm (as is the 14 which has a longer loft). The 10 is 20 mm. The 6 and the 8 are both 17 mm (again the 8 has a longer loft),

Ken
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Peter, beautiful. I'm afraid to ask what a 32mm HMW in horn goes for. Must be some sinful amount.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Well, these were Plisson's 200th anniversary commemorative brushes, and only three were apparently made. Peter can correct me if I am wrong, but I think they were around $700.
Regards,
Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

bernards66 wrote:John, Well, these were Plisson's 200th anniversary commemorative brushes, and only three were apparently made. Peter can correct me if I am wrong, but I think they were around $700.
Regards,
Gordon
€665,-/$905,- including shipping costs to be exactly (current exchange ratio $/€)
(but there was a 10% discount.... :wink: )

dr :oops: P
Peter
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

€665 ???!!!! :o :o :o

Why these things cost so much?! :?:
Regards,

Elias
razorsedge

Nice

Post by razorsedge »

DrP

That is very nice..

BTW, does any one know how long a delivery from Plisson takes to the US. I have a couple on the way ( not Size 24) and according to them it shipped on Dec 21, I am still to see it on the East coast yet? The tracking numbers from France Postal service don't offer much help.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Re: Nice

Post by drP »

razorsedge wrote:DrP

That is very nice..

BTW, does any one know how long a delivery from Plisson takes to the US. I have a couple on the way ( not Size 24) and according to them it shipped on Dec 21, I am still to see it on the East coast yet? The tracking numbers from France Postal service don't offer much help.

Dec 21 was on a Sunday last year...so i guess they made a typo?
I wouldn't worry though...transit through France could have been delayed because of the holidays..i would take 3 weeks for your order to arrive, so in the next week i think.
Peter
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

drP wrote:
bernards66 wrote:John, Well, these were Plisson's 200th anniversary commemorative brushes, and only three were apparently made. Peter can correct me if I am wrong, but I think they were around $700.
Regards,
Gordon
€665,-/$905,- including shipping costs to be exactly (current exchange ratio $/€)

However...if it had been bought from a non-EEC country it would have been...what?...17% less expensive because we don't by VAT.

Buzz
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

M6Classic wrote:
drP wrote:
Regards,
Gordon

However...if it had been bought from a non-EEC country it would have been...what?...17% less expensive because we don't by VAT.

Buzz
Exactly €493,85,- /$672,48,- including 10% discount and shipping and without 19% VAT
Peter
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

That's a beautiful brush, Peter....and a fine collection indeed! I'm glad you got the two band that you were hoping for. I suspect that all three brushes were two band.

Here's how the pricing and delivery would work out for a hypothetical US customer:

Base price: 650.00 €
Holiday discount: (65.00)
Delivery to US: 22.00
VAT exclusion: (96.22)

Net price, incl. shipping: 510.78 €
Lynn
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Lynn, obviously you wouldn't have to pay VAT, but is there not an import duty to pay when the brush reaches the USA?