Just a thought......

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Earl Gray

Just a thought......

Post by Earl Gray »

As most of the badger bristles for shave brushes come from China,does anybody know how these animals are reared and treated?
China has a shocking record for human rights so I was just thinking how they treated the poor old badger!

Cheers,Richard
Less is more .............. more or less
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Richard,

This topic has come up here more than once, and I think the bottom line is we don't really know for sure if they're hunted wild or reared on a farm.

If they happen to be reared on a farm, I really prefer not to know, much like I don't want to know how chickens and turkeys are treated here in the US.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

There are lots of badgers in China and in some parts they have reached nuisance levels. I will defer to others who have more facts about the Chinese badger industry, but I imagine most are killed in the wild. The irony is, badger farming may end up having a more humane approach to their slaughtering techniques than those gathered in the wild. How they are treated up to that point is a different matter.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

It would be my guess that badgers are trapped like many other fur bearing animals and indeed are still trapped in North America. As such there should be wildlife management practices in place including those initiated by the trappers themselves.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
JimR

Post by JimR »

GollyMrScience wrote:It would be my guess that badgers are trapped like many other fur bearing animals and indeed are still trapped in North America. As such there should be wildlife management practices in place including those initiated by the trappers themselves.

Wildlife management?

You do know we are talking about China, right? Where the national symbol, the exceedingly rare Giant Panda, is still sometimes sold at Shanghai street markets to be eaten? Where people routinely cut open a living snake to drink its gall?

Somehow, I doubt there's any attention being paid to badgers...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Do kindly check our archives as this subject has been hashed over at great length several times in the past, including quite recently. Shouldn't be too difficult to find at least that most recent thread.
Regards,
Gordon
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Good point Gordon.

Often new threads get started that are repetitious of previous information (heck, most new threads are like that), but serve a good purpose to generate newer, more varied responses and revisit the subject from time to time. This subject is probably best suited for the archives.

Thanks, Larry
ichabod
Mackem

Re: Just a thought......

Post by ichabod »

Earl Gray wrote:As most of the badger bristles for shave brushes come from China,does anybody know how these animals are reared and treated?
China has a shocking record for human rights so I was just thinking how they treated the poor old badger!

Cheers,Richard
I'll save you the archives search with a one word answer - badly.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Occam

Post by Occam »

Yep... one of the most memorable animal cruelty videos I've watched is from my childhood watching men clubbing baby seals to death.... white animals with white snow drenched in steaming blood...

I'd say the badgers are probably bludgeoned to death too... but the consolation is that the meat is undoubtedly used in some form... whether that be as food or talisman...
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

I dunno.
I don't think even I'm crazy enough to engage a cornered badger in melee combat.
A chin / Where barbed wire / Bristles stand / Is bound to be / A no ma'ams land / Burma-Shave
Crag

Post by Crag »

Sarge wrote:Good point Gordon.

Often new threads get started that are repetitious of previous information (heck, most new threads are like that), but serve a good purpose to generate newer, more varied responses and revisit the subject from time to time. This subject is probably best suited for the archives.

Thanks, Larry
I have noticed that people tend to write the "Look in the archives" (no one in particular mind you...) response when new posts have the propensity to become riotus. How come no one ever says "Look in the Archives" for someone asking a question about a Rooney 1/1? The answer is simple...There is no organization called "People for the ethical treatment of Rooneys" PETR for short...

Invariably someone reading this thread will get offended by what someone else says about how or why they kill the Chinese Badger, and will make a comment which will then inflame someone else, and before you know it there is a riot, and the thread will need to be closed...

Just seems so funny to me...we all use BADGER HAIR BRUSHES or BOAR hair brushes but some of us get REALLY NASTY when we mention how we get those brushes or how the animal that produces those brushes is killed. (Usually not with Boar because we have Bacon, and Ham!)

Suffice it to say that is usually the reason why someone would point you to the archives and not urge you to start a new thread...

This has been a "tongue-in-cheek' post, and is not intended to be taken seriously... Hardly anyone takes me seriously anyway...

Just my $.02...
Matt

"The 'Path of least resistance' is what makes rivers and Men crooked."
--Ezra Taft Benson
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... arm+europe

Okay, kids, rather than argue, just click and enjoy. IT is obvious that many members found this topic absolutely fascinating...yours-humble-truly included.

Buzz
Crag

Post by Crag »

Adeptus_Minor wrote:I dunno.
I don't think even I'm crazy enough to engage a cornered badger in melee combat.
These are not your run-of-the-mill American Old West type badgers...they are more like ferrets or Pine Martens except with GREAT fur.

Check them out on Google...Chinese Ferret-Badger
Matt

"The 'Path of least resistance' is what makes rivers and Men crooked."
--Ezra Taft Benson