The March 1st post you have been waiting for! Jagger update!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Zach wrote:..when used properly with soap, boar is unbeatable for both the sensory experience as well as the final shave (the result of the best lather possible).
'Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Congratulations, Zach, on revealing such self-evident truth! For me, I don't know if it's good news or bad, for, I know I shall not be finding your Truth, but, I'm consoled by the words of Aldous Huxley - 'Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad.' So, I shall remain completely ignorant of the Truth that you speak of, yet, remain completely thrilled and enamored with what is obviously a sub par sensory experience, final shave, and in being denied of the 'best lather possible!'

Hooray to your findings and revelations, and may you continue to spread the Truth!

In the mood for François Lemoyne's beautiful 1737 piece in oil...

Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

John,

Why cherry-pick Zach's quotation? When quoted in its entirety, we see that he is expressing an opinion, and not making some generalized statement of TRUTH.
Zach wrote:IMHO, when used properly with soap, boar is unbeatable for both the sensory experience as well as the final shave (the result of the best lather possible).

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Zach

Post by Zach »

I learned this in 6th grade at Greek school, from Mr. Kazepis:

"Much Learning Does Not Teach Understanding"

I didn't respect him as much as he deserved at the time; probably because he kept smacking me in the back of the head so much...
Last edited by Zach on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Ren, I'm not cherry picking...he states that he is of the opinion, an honest one at that, that 'when used properly with soap, boar is unbeatable for both the sensory experience as well as the final shave (the result of the best lather possible). The IMHO qualifier just states the obvious, that the forthcoming statements are his, and he honestly believes what he is about to reveal.

I could say, lets say, IMHO, the United States provides the best sensory experience, as well as the overall best life (that results in the best life possible).

The IMHO qualifier does not modify the statement. Now, if I say, for some, or, for me, the United States provides the best sensory experience, as well as the overall best life (that results in the best life possible), then the meaning might be more aligned with what Zach wanted to say, that is, unless he really is of the honest opinion that boar offers the best final shave!

Ok, enough fun with words for me...but, my original impression of Zach's statements remain the same...he believes boar is better, and proudly proclaims it so... :lol:
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I don't know about this guys... Then there is that old saying "Only the Greeks know the truth".
Regards,
Jani
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Zach wrote:I learned this in 6th grade at Greek school, from Mr. Kazepis:

"Much Learning Does Not Teach Understanding"

I didn't respect him as much as he deserved at the time; probably because he kept smacking me in the back of the head so much...
Very well, Zach. I tried, as best I could, to participate in these threads. I even overlooked what I at first perceived as lightly off-colour and not of my predilection in that other, shall we say, more animated thread involving whales, invasions, and such, and just played along. Chose to see it as grown men playing with a strange mix of hyperbole and brushes, and was not content when I heard about a growing voice that found some of your contributions unpleasant. The dialog never bothered me, hence my presence around here still. However, if such dialog is to be had, then all playing should have the same faculties of dissent and or hyperbole at their disposal.

Alas, for reasons which are self-evident and implicit in your quoting of Heraclitus up above, I am seriously considering from now on on passing, and cease participation in all of the animation and abstract hyperbole present in your threads.

Besides, its much too tiring to delve into matters of explaining linguistics, semantics and predicate logic in defense of a good spirited post, when all I want to do is shave, and enjoy good ol' comradery with the fine gentlemen here.
Last edited by John 5 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrm2012

Re: The March 1st post you have been waiting for!

Post by wrm2012 »

I've been happy with a VDH boar brush for over a year I've never used any other brush. Are the other boar brushes really noticably better? If so why? I've been tempted to order a $ 12 ish Omega a few times and just haven't done it.
Thanks, Bill
Zach

Post by Zach »

John 5 wrote: Very well, Zach. I tried, as best I could, to participate in these threads.
I even overlooked what I at first perceived as lightly off-colour and not of my predilection in that other, shall we say, more animated thread involving whales, invasions, and such, and just played along. Chose to see it as grown men playing with a strange mix of hyperbole and brushes, and was not content when I heard about a growing voice that found some of your contributions unpleasant. The dialog never bothered me, hence my presence around here still. However, if such dialog is to be had, then all playing should have the same faculties of dissent and or hyperbole at their disposal.
Agreed; and I have always been grateful for your participation, and not quiet about it; what good is an Ahab without a whale?

John 5 wrote: Alas, for reasons which are self-evident and implicit in your quoting of Heraclitus up above, I am seriously considering from now on on passing, and cease participation in all of the animation and abstract hyperbole present in your threads.
I hope that you reconsider; these threads would suffer without your participation. The quote simply refers to all the intelligence within your post, yet its lacking your simple understanding of the topic at hand: boar. "Much Learning Does Not Teach Understanding"

John 5 wrote: Besides, its much too tiring to delve into matters of explaining linguistics, semantics and predicate logic in defense of a good spirited post, when all I want to do is shave, and enjoy good ol' comradery with the fine gentlemen here.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance"
(also Kazepis)
Zach

Post by Zach »

dbtoe wrote:I've been happy with a VDH boar brush for over a year I've never used any other brush. Are the other boar brushes really noticeably better? If so why? I've been tempted to order a $ 12 ish Omega a few times and just haven't done it.
The VDH boar is an OK brush; the main complaint is that it's a shedder. I own a lot of brushes that cost a lot more than $5 that are not as good as the VDH boar.
If you try Omega Professional #48 or #49, you will find it superior, but not life changing. And if you like a better handle, you can try an acrylic Omega, or a Vulfix.
If you're interested in the end result, you're fine with what you have.
If things like variety and style matter, or, if acquiring brushes make you happy, then try a better boar brush.
wrm2012

Post by wrm2012 »

Zach thanks for your response. The VDH did and even still does give up a hair every now and then. It doesn't really bother me at all. I may still order an Omega just for the heck of it.
Thanks, Bill
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

dbtoe wrote:I've been happy with a VDH boar brush for over a year I've never used any other brush. Are the other boar brushes really noticably better? If so why? I've been tempted to order a $ 12 ish Omega a few times and just haven't done it.
Hi Bill -

If you have been using a VDH brush happily for the last year, then you have learned to exploit its virtues to greatest effect and you have developed your lathering technique around those virtues.

A different brush will behave differently, and you may, or may not, like it (at least, at first).

If you are interested in trying something different and making the adjustment in your technique to get the most out of it, you may be pleasantly surprised. If it turns out ultimately that it isn't the brush for you, it won't be an expensive mistake and it will help you to determine what qualities you seek in a brush. (I have bought some expensive badger brushes that didn't work for me, which did cost a lot.)

By the way, how are you using the VDH brush? Do you build lather in a bowl, in your palm, or on your face?

- Murray
wrm2012

Post by wrm2012 »

CMur12 wrote: Hi Bill -

If you have been using a VDH brush happily for the last year, then you have learned to exploit its virtues to greatest effect and you have developed your lathering technique around those virtues.

A different brush will behave differently, and you may, or may not, like it (at least, at first).

If you are interested in trying something different and making the adjustment in your technique to get the most out of it, you may be pleasantly surprised. If it turns out ultimately that it isn't the brush for you, it won't be an expensive mistake and it will help you to determine what qualities you seek in a brush. (I have bought some expensive badger brushes that didn't work for me, which did cost a lot.)

By the way, how are you using the VDH brush? Do you build lather in a bowl, in your palm, or on your face?

- Murray
I melt VDH soap the pink one, in a small bowl so it is stuck to the bottom of the bowl. I only do this one time then the bowl and soap is good to go. I wet the soap and let it set for a min or two, dump out the water. I twist the wet brush in and on the soap until it seems to have alot of soap on it and the lather is starting to form. Then I brush it on my wet face until I am happy with a nice layor of cream and then shave and repete one more time. That is it.
Thanks, Bill
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Bill, since you are building lather on your face, you might prefer a boar brush with a shorter loft than the Omega Professional models, such as the 48 and the 49. Omega has a number of models that fit this description, and the Vulfix boar brushes currently available at <connaughtshaving.com> should also be good for your purposes.

Zach has a lot of experience in this area, so hopefully he will offer some advice, as well.

- Murray
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Zach wrote: On the Taylors brushes, they don't currently offer anything that Paul doesn't already have in stock for 1/2 as much (they offer 4 brushes), and his continued efforts to expand what will be available to all of us (9 new brushes) is worth our appreciation, no doubt.
Again, thanks for the kind words, despite the shortcomings; we'll get there!
Zach, yeah, I spent a good bit of time seeking out the "better" Vulfix boars, and found that even Taylor only has the four Paul has (and they mark them up, as you said). They have brushes that might be boar (and the handles look like the ones you linked to), but they are labeled as "imitation badger" and described as containing a "mixture" of imitation badger hairs. And, since the "pictures" of Taylor brushes seem to be artists' renderings and not actual photos, how could you ever know? Besides, the cheapest imitation badger, such as they are, is about $36; I'm guessing if Vulfix offered them under their own brand name at present, they'd be cheaper. Thus my excitement at the prospect of that happening.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Zach

Post by Zach »

CMur12 wrote:Bill, since you are building lather on your face, you might prefer a boar brush with a shorter loft than the Omega Professional models, such as the 48 and the 49. Omega has a number of models that fit this description, and the Vulfix boar brushes currently available at <connaughtshaving.com> should also be good for your purposes.

Zach has a lot of experience in this area, so hopefully he will offer some advice, as well.

- Murray
Well, you could start with "what would you like better from your brush" and go from there;
softer? Vulfix
stiffer? 49
more luxury? 31064
smaller? one of the colors brush, or vulfix
stiffer? Jagger

If you're happy with the brush, and you're happy with the VDH Deluxe soap (IMHO the best of the VDH 3), that's wonderful; happiness can be had for under $10 for both.

If money is not an issue, you might want to try some woolfat; I think you'd be happier with woolfat and your current brush than with your current soap and the best brush; meaning, you'd see more of an impact by upping the soap and keeping the brush. If you can do both, then try the woofat and the 31064 :D
Zach

Post by Zach »

TBoner wrote: Zach, yeah, I spent a good bit of time seeking out the "better" Vulfix boars, and found that even Taylor only has the four Paul has (and they mark them up, as you said). They have brushes that might be boar (and the handles look like the ones you linked to), but they are labeled as "imitation badger" and described as containing a "mixture" of imitation badger hairs. And, since the "pictures" of Taylor brushes seem to be artists' renderings and not actual photos, how could you ever know? Besides, the cheapest imitation badger, such as they are, is about $36; I'm guessing if Vulfix offered them under their own brand name at present, they'd be cheaper. Thus my excitement at the prospect of that happening.

Regards,
I saw that too; I thought that since they bothered to make the distinction between 'pure bristle' and 'imitation badger' that the latter was some sort of nylon synthetic.
In addition, Paul made a point about the preference towards the Vulfix Old Original label on his brushes; I can see that too.

thanks,

Zach
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Keep up the good work Zach!

John 5, I hope you keep on. I really enjoy your posts! :D
Eric
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Earl of Boar is an understatement; Highpriest of Boar/His Boarness would be more suitable.... :wink:
Peter
yayavarman

Post by yayavarman »

CMur12 wrote:Bill, since you are building lather on your face, you might prefer a boar brush with a shorter loft than the Omega Professional models, such as the 48 and the 49. Omega has a number of models that fit this description, and the Vulfix boar brushes currently available at <connaughtshaving.com> should also be good for your purposes.

- Murray
Is a brush with shorter hairs a must for face lathering? I am a face latherer myself and I am interested in the Omega 48. I was just wondering if I would make the wrong choice.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

yayavarman wrote:Is a brush with shorter hairs a must for face lathering? I am a face latherer myself and I am interested in the Omega 48. I was just wondering if I would make the wrong choice.
The longer the bristles on a boar the softer it will feel on your face as the bristles are thicker, the brush will open up more but will still be resilient.
Richard