What is this brush?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
JackieMartling

What is this brush?

Post by JackieMartling »

I was browsing Classic Shaving and found that the Vulfix #406 is called "The Burlington." I did a double-take, because my first shaving brush was also called "The Burlington," and I had no idea it was from Vulfix. I dug out my old one, and compared it to the 406. There are two major discrepancies between them: first and foremost, my Burlington is definitely labeled Pure Badger, whereas the 406 is classified as Best Badger. Second, the 406 diagram shows a bristle loft of 55mm, and a knot of 22mm. I measure my Burlington as having a loft of 45mm, and a knot of 20mm. However, the handle is identical on each model. Do I have a Vulfix, and if so, why are the specs so different when they have the same name? Could mine be an older version that is discontinued? I have only had it for around one year, but who knows how long it was sitting in the cutlery shop in the mall where I bought it. (I was not nearly so enlightened about brushes back when I bought it.) On the other hand, if Vulfix also puts out a Burlington in Pure, with different measurements, why doesn't Ray have it on his site?

On another note, the quality of my Burlington is lousy. The brush head is rather skimpy, and the knot does not feel densely packed at all. It also has shed since the day I bought it, and in fiddling with it just now, it lost a good 5-7 hairs out of the knot. Does this sound typical of Vulfix? I must say, I am a bit discouraged over this discovery, since I have been looking seriously at certain models in the Vulfix Super range.
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

JM,
Not so sure about the brush, but I have a low end Vulfix pure badger and I seem to recall some bristles falling out early on in the life of the brush. But it has been a couple of months (say 7 or 8) since I've seen another bristle fall out.
Randy