How many hairs are there in a Chubby 3 brush?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
ghart

How many hairs are there in a Chubby 3 brush?

Post by ghart »

My Simpsons Chubby 3 Super is ~4 years old and it loses 3–4 hairs every time I shave. I don't use it that often and it still has a huge knot, so there is no need for me to get it fixed. But I might notice the difference eventually, which has prompted me to do some quantitative predicting! If I use it 20 times a year, how long will it take for it to lose one-third of its hair?

George
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Dear God! You think about these things? Why don't you just send it back? It's not supposed to shed.
Regards,
Jani
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

There would be about 15000 bristles in an average knot so it seems...
Peter
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

drP wrote:There would be about 15000 bristles in an average knot so it seems...

I started to count them once but lost count after bristle 3,167. Besides, I other important things to do like watching some paint dry.
Richard
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

rustyblade wrote:

I started to count them once but lost count after bristle 3,167. Besides, I other important things to do like watching some paint dry.
That's what Bernd Blos did when he finished counting...
Peter
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

3 to 4 hairs is not a big loss for some brushes but for a Simpson that is not ordinary.
Call the retailer and send it back or get a hold of Vulfix and tell them of the problem.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Cicerosecundus

Vulfix will Replace for Free

Post by Cicerosecundus »

I had a C1Best that shed. When I read in this Forum that Vulfix was replacing shedders without charge, I sent mine in with a letter that stated that it had shed quite a few hairs and that I was concerned. Two weeks later a new C1B showed up that is as good or better than the pre-Vulfix Chubby.
Cicerosecundus
ghart

Post by ghart »

That's a reassuringly high number, Peter! Many thanks.

George
diggity

Post by diggity »

<sigh> I lose a hair a day when I use my Duke 3. I am hesitant about contacting Vulfix about this as I have read the new Duke's are not nearly the same as the old.
Nathan
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

rustyblade wrote:

I had the same problem, but got around it by tying a small paper tag to each hair with its own individual number on it. Voila, problem solved! :lol:
Jim

glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

I started out losing a few hairs each day and now I am practically bald!

eric.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I keep shaving stuff in our office bathroom and the girls think my shaving brushes are an anachronistic throwback on my part like my insistence on writing with a fountain pen. Lori has been around long enough that her baby, whose diapers I changed, is now in college and taller than me.

I clicked on this on this thread mid day and when she brought me lunch saw I was on my shaving board. She asked "what are ya'll talking about?" I said we're counting the number of hairs in a shaving brush.

Without missing a beat she said "you guys are f....ing nuts"
Regards,
Squire
RetroGrouch

Post by RetroGrouch »

And she's right! But I wouldn't have it any other way...

Great story, Squire. But you made me lose count! Okay, I think I left off at 12,457.... or was it 12,458? Crap. I guess I'll start again.

Mike
95%

Post by 95% »

Not sure that the OP's question was authoritatively answered, but I can believe there are more than a thousand hairs in a typical badger knot. Fifteen thousand sounds incredibly high.

Has anybody ever seen an estimate of the number of hairs in a man's beard? I'd guess no more than a thousand.
Porter
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Here's an answer...

From the same page on the Shavemac website:

"The diameter and the weight of the materials for the brush head required are initially determined through the borehole of the brush handle. For example, approximately 14 grams of badger hair are needed for a 21 mm diameter.
The badger hair required is weighed using precision scales with weights upwards of 0.1 g. Incidentally, one gram of badger hair is made up of approximately 1000 hairs."
Peter
95%

Post by 95% »

Good show, Peter. Your estimate of 15,000 works out - and indeed, it's for a smallish brush.

In light of this, I need to revise my estimate that a man has only a thousand hair follicles in the beard area. The number must be much greater.
Porter