curling tips

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Shave4Fun

curling tips

Post by Shave4Fun »

I have a badger brush from a reputable seller and the tips of the hair are curling. They are only making a half circle, at most. Anyone have any ideas why?

Thanks,

Roger
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Did it come like that or has it developed? I had a Rooney 3/1 that came with barbed tips. Really, really scritchy.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Did it come like that or has it developed? I had a Rooney 3/1 that came with barbed tips. Really, really scritchy.
It was fairly scritchy when I got it, but it seems like there is more curl now. I just wondered of this was fairly common with some brushes with coarser hair.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Curling or "barbed" tips are not that uncommon; I have a couple of brushes like that which are top quality brushes. I don't have any idea why they do that, some people say it because the tips were overheated and some say it's because some bristles may come from a different kind of badger or maybe even related to the weather. In any case it hasn't adversely affected the use of brushes at all, plus it confirms that the tips weren't trimmed to obtain the shape of the knot.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree with Bob. We've seen these sort of tips before, most often with the old Somerset Simpson Supers. As he said, the only thing that 'does' that to bristles that were not that way to begin with, is the use of excessively hot water.
Regards,
Gordon
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

1. The hair is coarser on this one than my Omega 620 silvertip. And since I do not want to make the seller look bad, the name is being kept private; but he did say that Omegas have the softest hair he has seen.

2. I do soak my brush in hot tap water while showering, but I would not say that our water is excessively hot. I soak all my badger brushes the same way and the others have not curled.

3. The scritchiness really does not bother me and the curling does not seem to be worsening.

4. Someone mentioned that this is a sign that the tips had not been trimmed to shape the brush. I thought about trimming them but was afraid that would probably ruin the tips.

Thanks for all the input.
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

I have read the same problems with badgers in one of the other shaving forums, due to excessive hot water. The solution suggested there was to dip the brush in ice cold water and allow to dry and repeat till the curling reverses. It seems this advice paid off for quite a few who experienced this problem. Hope it works for you too !!
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I will give the cold water treatment a try and report back.
Thanks,
Roger