In praise of the Semogue 730

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Kyle76

In praise of the Semogue 730

Post by Kyle76 »

I have been using this acrylic-handled brush for nearly a month now, and despite its low price of <$50 for silvertip badger, this is a very nice brush. At first I thought it wasn't dense enough, but the way it produces and releases lather has increased my appreciation immensely. In fact, I have come to the conclusion that dense brushes are by nature lather hogs that really make you work to access the rich, creamy lather that hides near the base. This brush, on the other hand, releases that lather much more easily. The brush itself is soft, and it has some backbone, but not like a Rooney Heritage or a Shavemac D01 or a Plisson HMW. But I find it easier to use than any of those brushes, and at the price, it really is a steal. If you were a single-brush man, it could be one that you could stick with. Don't let the price fool you. I got mine from vintagescent.com, which has shut down temporarily while the proprietor changes locations. This Portugese vendor has excellent prices, very reasonable shipping charges to the US and quick service. When he sent me a boar brush by mistake, he told me to keep that brush and he immediately shipped out the proper replacement. I recommend the brush and the vendor.

Here is a link to the brush: http://vintagescent.com/shaving-brushes ... -brush-p-6

I have no affiliation, blah, blah, blah.
Last edited by Kyle76 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Jim, thanks for the review. I'm relieved that your experience of this brush is so close to mine!

It seems as though Semogue carefully worked out just the right combination of silvertip grade, density, shape of the brushhead, knot size, and loft to achieve the soft, luxurious feel and the efficient, effortless performance.

- Murray
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

+1 to the feedback above. The 730 is the only badger in my arsenal, the others being boars, I use it sparingly with some lanolin creams in India. The build quality is simply awesome. I got mine from shavingessentials.net
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I might as well give this thread a bump along with its companion thread.

The prices have gone up for Semogue brushes, but they still represent good value in my opinion and they remain my performance ideal in silvertip.

- Murray
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wow, the prices really have jumped -- from under $50 to $68.50. I wish I had ordered a couple more earlier.
Jim