Question: Simfix two band quality issues?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
fisherc

Question: Simfix two band quality issues?

Post by fisherc »

Gents:

I recently acquired several of the two band Simfix shave brushes. One in particular, a CH2, I lathered once (with no problems, shedding, etc) and posted to the FS forum and sold to a fellow member. I decided I didn't like the bulb shape cut of the CH2 two band.

He is claiming that the brush is shedding excessively (in excess of 50 hairs in one use). I am inquiring to see if anyone else has noticed problems with these two band brushes or for that matter shedding problems on any Simfix brushes (since Vulfix acquired Simpsons). I have personally owned five Simfix brushes including three of the "two band" variety and none have shed a single hair. And previous Vulfix brand brushes have always been of impeccable quality.

I have not seen any complaints about quality or specifically shedding issues with Vulfix made Simpson products but am curious to hear if others have had issues or noticed more recent production problems. I did note that some of the recent "two band" brushes had uneven trim of badger hair resulting in asymmetic knots (beyond the normal variations of a handmade product).

If anyone has noticed a problem in this area please let me know.

regards,
Chris
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

I didn't "claim" that the brush lost over 50 hairs in one use- it actually did lose 50 hairs Chris.
Velomane

Post by Velomane »

Hi guys,

I'm pretty that one of the shave forums has a thread going regarding this matter. Sorry, I can't recall which one, I've been up about twenty hours and sorely in need of rest.

Mike
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i haven't lost a single hair from my polo in best. i bet the vendor or vulfix would take care of the problem for you.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I agree that Vulfix will most certainly take care of this if it is in fact a defect or quality issue. I am just curious to know if others have had a similar problem as based on my first hand experience and knowledge the Vulfix quality is among the best of all the shave brush mfr's.

Chris
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I haven't had any problems with mine shedding but their shape leaves a little to be desired. We all know these freaky shedding brushes show up once in awhile,seems like it should be easy enough to swap the money back for the brush,send it back to Vulfix for replacement and then just resell the new brush.
Bob
brothers

Post by brothers »

I agree with Bob... Refund, get the brush back, then take it up with the manfacturer.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Churchill wrote:I haven't had any problems with mine shedding but their shape leaves a little to be desired. We all know these freaky shedding brushes show up once in awhile,seems like it should be easy enough to swap the money back for the brush,send it back to Vulfix for replacement and then just resell the new brush.
+1
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
msandoval858

Post by msandoval858 »

I've had no problems with any of my Vulfix made Simpsons, two band or regular.
Mike
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

Bob hit it right on the head. That is how it should be handled (or at least how I would handle it).
Danny
superbleu

Post by superbleu »

Velomane wrote:Hi guys,

I'm pretty that one of the shave forums has a thread going regarding this matter. Sorry, I can't recall which one, I've been up about twenty hours and sorely in need of rest.

Mike
Is this the thread you were referring to Mike?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103946
Matsuey37

Post by Matsuey37 »

Churchill wrote:I haven't had any problems with mine shedding but their shape leaves a little to be desired. We all know these freaky shedding brushes show up once in awhile,seems like it should be easy enough to swap the money back for the brush,send it back to Vulfix for replacement and then just resell the new brush.
I Agree. The customer is always right.
Matt (Matsuey37)
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Matt, not quite, but the customer always has the right to be right.
Regards,
Jani
Velomane

Post by Velomane »

superbleu wrote:
Velomane wrote:Hi guys,

Mike
Is this the thread you were referring to Mike?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103946
Affirmative
AFG

Post by AFG »

I had a 3 band CH2 in super that shed quite a bit and was replaced. The new one is fine. Neither of the two bands I bought have any shedding problems. I read of a Tulip 2 on another forum that was shedding heavily.
Al
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

My Polo 10 Super in two band is shedding about 4~5 hair per shave.

I am letting it go for a while but if by month's end it hasn't stopped I am going to be contacting Brett at Vulfix to discuss options.

So far I have about 50 hairs that have accumulated over 10 or so shaves with the brush.

Also see my 'wet noodle badger hair' thread because that is what many of these shed two band hairs are like. I hope mine calms down soon.
笑う門に福来る。
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Hello all:

My Chubby 2 Super (two band Vulfix) loses a hair or two each shave, but nothing out of the ordinary yet. I have a few other Vulfix/Simpson two bands, and so far they are solid brushes. I agree with Bob and Chris that the lofts can be a bit "uneven," but they are otherwise fine brushes.
Lynn
superbleu

Post by superbleu »

AFG wrote:I had a 3 band CH2 in super that shed quite a bit and was replaced. The new one is fine. Neither of the two bands I bought have any shedding problems. I read of a Tulip 2 on another forum that was shedding heavily.
here is the thread
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105975

I have been using my 2 band T2 non stop since I got it. Just the last couple uses it has lost a hair or 2, but hadn't lost any hairs till then.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I've got several of the new two bands and so far no shedding problems whatsoever.
Regards,
David
jhclare

Post by jhclare »

I have a recently acquired Chubby 2 in Best and it has been shedding 1-2 hairs per shave. Really annoying - I love the brush otherwise.

I will be returning it to Shaving Shack for a replacement.

John