Vintage Rooney needs ID please

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
churchilllafemme

Re: Vintage Rooney needs ID please

Post by churchilllafemme »

I like it a lot, especially the handle shape. And I think you improved it a lot with the re-knotting.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

I remember thinking, at the time, wow, I've never seen a Rooney brush for sale anywhere, other than on-line. I knew I'd never see another one either, so I latched onto it, and paid the guy's asking price, because he wouldn't budge.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ockhams's razor

Re:

Post by ockhams's razor »

brothers wrote:Here's what's happened with my vintage Rooney since I first posted about it a month ago.

I listed it on ebay with a starting minimum bid of $40. Someone else decided to list an identical brush but they also had a box and the instructions/information pamphlet from Rooney to go along with it. I ended my listing early and the other guy eventually sold his for around $73 I think.
looks like no appreciation in the intervening years. http://tinyurl.com/vintage-rooney-auction. http://tinyurl.com/vintage-rooney-auction2
"always act like you belong to be here." (serge storms, hurricane punch by tim dorsey).
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looks like somebody got themselves a nice new old brush! That's about what I've got invested in mine, counting the purchase price and the cost of the new knot a few years ago. It's still going strong.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ockhams's razor

Post by ockhams's razor »

love those handles; have 2 of them, don't know why I never reknotted them.
"always act like you belong to be here." (serge storms, hurricane punch by tim dorsey).
river1

Post by river1 »

Very nice Gary and even more important, it pleases you. The butterscotch is a wonderful color.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up after 10 + years since I re-knotted this brush. It's been a stalwart, has taken the back seat to dozens of other brushes over the last decade. It's a very good performer, never lost a single bristle, if memory serves. I'm fortunate to have it. One of the half dozen or so badger brushes I still own and use after all these years. Hard to believe I was trying to sell it at one point. Thankfully that didn't occur.
Gary

YokohamaGaijin

Post by YokohamaGaijin »

I would love to see a recent picture.
brothers

Post by brothers »

YokohamaGaijin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:50 am I would love to see a recent picture.
I'm happy to oblige! Welcome to SMF!
Big Rooney 07032020.jpg
Big Rooney 07032020.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 6682 times
Gary