Vintage Rooney needs ID please

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Vintage Rooney needs ID please

Post by brothers »

While in south Louisiana over the Thanksgiving holidays, stopped in at an antique shop, and couldn't pass this one up. It's in great shape and both decals are completely intact. Does anyone have information on this brush? The knot is 24mm, and the handle is enormous, 1 5/8" across the base. Whatever the material is, it's solid and heavy. The decal on the back says "sterilized bristle and badger hair". If it's an heirloom as is, I'll either put it away or sell it. If it's not a museum piece, then I'll re-knot it with the biggest and finest badger knot I can find, then I'll either use or sell it. Thanks for any information you might have.

Last edited by brothers on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary, it appears to be usable as is, why re-knot?
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:Gary, it appears to be usable as is, why re-knot?
Good point. Your question took me by surprise. I'm used to any old brush needing to be redone, and just presumed this one would, plus the new bristles would be about twice the size of the original, and all badger. Is a small combo bristle and badger any good? I like a good lather generator like my BK4, and most recently I rebristled one with a huge UK Silvertip, and it's awesome.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary, why don't you use it and let us know.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:Gary, why don't you use it and let us know.
I might just do that. Meanwhile I'm still wondering what they called this brush when it was first put on the market, and approximately how old this brush is.

Speaking of considering this old brush a useful tool in its present condition, I think a $20 Tweezerman might be a better lathering brush. It would be as large as this one, and all badger. So I don't know. I'm judging from the small size, that it is very old.
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, I agree with Squire; why not at least try it first. It may not be to your taste, but I do know shavegeeks who actually hunt down these vintage brushes, that are in good shape, to actively use. Nathan loves that vintage Coate's brush he got, for example. Doesn't look like it will be a 'luxurious' brush, admittedly, more like maybe a Simpson Duke in Pure Badger. I think that Rooney used to supply those combo. badger/boar brushes to Taylors at one time. It's only a guess, but that one is likely from the '70s or maybe the '80s. No idea about model designation, price, etc.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

bernards66 wrote:Gary, I agree with Squire; why not at least try it first. It may not be to your taste, but I do know shavegeeks who actually hunt down these vintage brushes, that are in good shape, to actively use. Nathan loves that vintage Coate's brush he got, for example. Doesn't look like it will be a 'luxurious' brush, admittedly, more like maybe a Simpson Duke in Pure Badger. I think that Rooney used to supply those combo. badger/boar brushes to Taylors at one time. It's only a guess, but that one is likely from the '70s or maybe the '80s. No idea about model designation, price, etc.
Regards,
Gordon
I'm game. I'll give it a try.

Edit: I do have a concern about using such a pretty brush, decals intact and everything. What if I rub or knock the decals off, then I've taken away some of the inherent vintage attractiveness in such a way that a collector or afficianado might find unfortunate.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary, if I had second thoughts about using it I'd sell it and buy something I would use.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure that you have brushes that still have their logos attached even after many uses, no?
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

A quick test: Put it up for sale at your chosen price. If it sells, then that answers your question, and you can buy something else. If it doesn't sell, then you can feel comfortable using it, or putting it in a case to look at, or doing whatever modifications you please.
brothers

Post by brothers »

bernards66 wrote:Gary, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure that you have brushes that still have their logos attached even after many uses, no?
Regards,
Gordon
Maybe for normal folks. I scratched off half of the Kent logo the first time I used my BK4. I guess I was hitting the side of the brush against the side of the bowl. That's the way I do stuff!

Anyway, we'll let the world decide what it might be worth, it's already listed!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's what's happened with my vintage Rooney since I first posted about it a month ago.

I listed it on ebay with a starting minimum bid of $40. Someone else decided to list an identical brush but they also had a box and the instructions/information pamphlet from Rooney to go along with it. I ended my listing early and the other guy eventually sold his for around $73 I think.

Last Thursday I bought a new UK Silvertip 24mm knot from Tony at Golden Nib, received it in yesterday's mail, and installed it today. The epoxy's drying now, and tomorrow morning I'll break it in, when I hit the CF Cedarwood.

Here's a "before" picture of the brush with its new Silvertip knot installed. After I use it, I'll post the "after", tomorrow, all bloomed out.

It's a "hoss" of a big old beautiful brush, and I'm lucky to have it. It's got two stablemates, a BK4 and a 22mm Finest knot from Tony installed in a vintage handle. I'll be using all 3, all the time.

Also, I coated the front and rear decals with clear nail polish to give me some peace of mind about knocking them off any time soon.
Gary

druphus

Post by druphus »

Looks nice Gary, and a nice large (in my world) 24mm knot.
Regards,
Andy
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

You do nice work, Gary!

--Glenn
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Looks good, Gary. A very traditional British looking sort of brush. Nicely done.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's a handsome English lad!

Gary

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Excellent!
Beautiful!
I love old restored and usable stuff!

Roger
brothers

Post by brothers »

I appreciate the kind remarks.

the brush handled its first shave with CF just as well as expected. Being an impulsive guy and going headstrong, I didn't do any practice lathers with it, just to wash it, and get any oils or dust, etc. off, instead I just lather it right up like I've been using it for months. Like I said, even with the slight stink, and the core of the knot just getting itself sorted out with everything all packed tightly together and all, it was still a pretty good lathering experience.

When I got home from work, I was recalling the unique pleasant fragrance of MWF, since I just got finished shaving with it for the past 3 or 4 days, after a lengthy layoff, so I decided to run a test face lathering of MWF and the new UK Rooney. Yeah, this worked. :shock: I don't want to appear giddy or exhuberant about it, so I'll just say it "exceeded my expectations". The brush and the MWF each performed with a "high degree" of efficiency. I am a fortunate man.
Gary

brothers

Re: Vintage Rooney needs ID please

Post by brothers »

Following up with this brush after about 3 1/2 years of regular use. I call it my "Big Rooney". The brush looks exactly like it did when the photo below was taken, way back when. It's a workhorse, and it's been in the rotation and out of the rotation several times. It's one of my favorites, particularly because it was a bit of an ugly duckling when I found it way down in South Louisiana just off I-10, in an out-of-the-way antique shop. This one was used yesterday evening with the Mike's Lime soap. It performs great, every time, with soaps and creams alike, even though I seldom use creams these days, it's not a permanent thing, just a passing fancy. I'll be getting back into some of the creams soon, I believe. Maybe when the Mike's runs out in a few weeks.

Gary

Antique Hoosier

Re: Vintage Rooney needs ID please

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Great looking Rooney!
Mike