How many brushes?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Fido

How many brushes?

Post by Fido »

I can see me getting close to 10 brushes now. I know we are all different, but would anyone care to admit how many brushes they own? It might make me feel better - or worse!
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Two. One I use every day. The other is a collector's item I will pass to my son.

Okay, I admit that I am the un-explainable exception. However, I also submit that one can own up to five brushes without bearing the label Collector. Since I have a brush that I never use, I, too, am a member of the collector brotherhood.

Buzz
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

take a look around for a few pics of DrP's assortment after which I promise you will never ever ever feel guilty again about owning 10-20-40-even hundreds of brushes LOL

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

fallingwickets wrote:take a look around for a few pics of DrP's assortment after which I promise you will never ever ever feel guilty again about owning 10-20-40-even hundreds of brushes LOL

clive
Nearly 200....says the lunatic............... :evil: :twisted: :shock: :oops: :roll:
Peter
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Only 2 - and only use one - the C&E/EJ Super Badger -- the smaller OEM Vullfix is my first badger, sits in a revered place of respect in my den -- hasn't been used in over a year. Would love a Rooney or Kent BK4, but I am also happy with what I have. Minimalist that I am. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Three:

Kent BK4
Two Omega 10066s (both in use; one stays at my girlfriend's house, the other at mine)

Wouldn't mind getting one of the Vulfix boars and maybe a PJ2 in super; but probably won't.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
drumana

Post by drumana »

Four. My gramps's old brush that I restored and don't use too much - more of a memento even though it is a good brush. I mainly rotate between a Simpson, a Rooney, and a Vulfix boar. I'm quite happy with my brush set up these days...
-Andrew-
drumana

Post by drumana »

iancevans wrote:Three:

Kent BK4
Two Omega 10066s (both in use; one stays at my girlfriend's house, the other at mine)

Wouldn't mind getting one of the Vulfix boars and maybe a PJ2 in super; but probably won't.
Ian - You've got a PM
-Andrew-
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I own four: a C&E Best (same as Edwin Jagger), Vulfix boar, Omega boar, no name boar.

I use the Vulfix boar and C&E Best most often. I'll eventually have to get a silver-tip badger with more backbone than my C&E best, but I'm happy enough with what I have that I'm not in any hurry to shell out the $70-100 I plan to spend when I eventually buy that Shavemac, Rooney, or Simpson's.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Too many. Or not enough. I'm not quite sure.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

I recently had a little buying spree that brought me up to ten brushes. I use seven of them regularly, and the other three occasionally.

Rick
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've had as many as 10 at one time (more if you count duplicates. Richard wasn't the only one with multiple BK4's, and others), which to me was excessive, so I backed off. Now that I know what works, what I want is:

A short-loft Savile Row 3122 and/or 3120 is a definite.
I'd like to try a Simpsons Colonel X2L.
I'd like to try a Simpsons Emperor 3 2-band. I really want this one to work.
I still have a fond spot for a "real" Duke 3 Best, but best let that die on the vine.
I'd consider another Rooney Emillion in 3-band fan, but it's at the bottom of a short list, and I don't crave "large" brushes anymore.

Ron
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I own five: a Semogue silvertip that I use nearly every day, a Semogue boar brush that came by mistake and they let me keep, a Muehle best badger that came in a set my wife game me, a small Muehle silvertip that I bought as a travel brush and a best badger Altesse that I keep at the beach. I probably had a max of eight at any one time and have cut down to using mainly the two Semogues. I love the silvertip and I use the boar just for a change every now and then.
Jim
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I have many. I use:

Semogue 2000
Omega 31020
Omega 10049
and occasionally Omega 10066

I keep around, just in case:

SR 3120
SR 3122
Commodore X2, my first badger
Omega 10048

I will likely sell one of the SRs, as I only need one on hand, as little as it gets used. The 48 is a great brush and I will keep it. And those in regular rotation ain't going anywhere.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
doleeo

Post by doleeo »

At one point I had around 15 brushes.

Now I'm down to 5 that I use.

Pre-Vulfix T2 2 Band
Pre-Vulfix Duke 3
Pre-Vulfix PJ2 Best
Custom Shavemac
A small Simpsons Pure Badger.

I'm however seriously contemplating a Semogue as well as a BK4.
-Ethan
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

I only use a Simpson Duke 2 in Pure but I also own a C&E Pure which was my first brush.

Have been eyeing up Chubby 1 in 2-band Super . . . and a Vulfix 404.

How's that for both ends of the spectrum?
Fido

Post by Fido »

Hmmm - many thanks for responding.

I have:

Kent BK8
shavemac 177
Duke 3 best
Semogue 1305
Vulfix 404
Vulfix 2234
Semogue Special edition (In the post)
Custom Chubby lookalike (In production)

So it's 8 so far. But then all things are relative, I have had over 100 bells, many radios and telephones, and not counted the DVDs, CDs and books in the house.

Shaving brushes are such a delight to own and use. Aren't they? I suspect I might get one or two more.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Fido wrote:Hmmm - many thanks for responding.

<<snip>>

So it's 8 so far. But then all things are relative, I have had over 100 bells, many radios and telephones, and not counted the DVDs, CDs and books in the house.

Shaving brushes are such a delight to own and use. Aren't they? I suspect I might get one or two more.
Don't sweat it, I may have just two shave brushes {one that I use}, but I have twenty-six copies of the Merriam Webster New International Dictionary: Second Edition, and about 150 other English language reference volumes. My wife finds this excessive.

Buzz
Last edited by M6Classic on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I am up to 11 brushes:

Vulfix 2233
Vulfix 41
Pre-Vulfix CH2 Best
BK4
Rooney Heritage Emillion
Rooney Heritage Stubby 2
Rooney Heritage Alibaba 2
Omega Boar 31064
Omega Boar 30005
No-name boar
Semogue Limited Edition Boar (soon to arrive)

My SBAD has suffered a serious decline the last year or so, although if Simpson comes out with a fan shaped CH2 Super two band..... :)

And my wife thinks my next brush should be a Plisson because she likes the look of them.
Regards,
Dale
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Dale wrote:I am up to 11 brushes:

<<snip>>

And my wife thinks my next brush should be a Plisson because she likes the look of them.
Pick up the phone right now and Call Colonial Drug at 617-864-2222. Order yourself a #14 Plisson HMW set in ivory resin and order for your wife a full ounce bottle of Joy de Jean Patou perfume. They should cost about the same.

Buzz