I need help...

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
jhclare

I need help...

Post by jhclare »

Hi all,

Over the past couple of months I have been on a bit of a spree and have been trying a variety of brushes.

Here is my current collection (excluding my boars).

Left to right: Rooney 1/1 Super, Simpsons Duke 3 Best, Rooney Stubby 2, Simpsons Chubby 2 Super, Rooney Alibaba 2, Rooney 3/1 (with a much higher loft than is normal...), Savile Row 3122 Silvertip, Somerset Simpsons Polo 8 in Best.

Now, due to financial requirements, I want to sell off most of these. The Chubby 2 is the most expensive, and if I decide to keep that I will sell all the others. If I decide to keep more than one, I will sell the Chubby.

So.... your combined wisdom and expertise would be very welcomed in helping me decide. I love them all, and really could be happy with any one of them, to be honest.

I may even list them all on the BST and keep the last one to sell!

I face lather pretty much exclusively with soaps, but I do use creams occasionally (also face lathered).

Regards,

John
Janus

Post by Janus »

I can understand people asking for advice before a purchase, but this, I'm at a loss. You need to have courage of your convictions, that's all I can say. Good looking brushes, btw.
Janus
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Keep the Duke.
Ron
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i think you should at least keep two ..

you can rotate and have one brush you like for one reason and the other for another

and just incase something happens to one you have a backup

marc
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

marsos52 wrote:i think you should at least keep two ..

you can rotate and have one brush you like for one reason and the other for another

and just incase something happens to one you have a backup

marc
+1 They are all very nice brushes so deciding which two to keep is a bit of a dilemma. I guess I would vote for selling the Chubby 2 and keeping at least two brushes. If you miss the Chubby 2 too much, you can always buy another down the road a bit.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i would keep the polo and the savile row then sell the others
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
slimjim5751

Post by slimjim5751 »

This is purely on aesthetics Savile Row 3122 Silvertip it looks like a very nice brush, But only you can make the choice, if it were me i would keep the best 4 for rotation purposes
Jim
jhclare

Post by jhclare »

gil3591 wrote:i would keep the polo and the savile row then sell the others
Yes - I think I'll keep the SR. I like its different shape and face feel to my other brushes, and it lathers hard soaps equally as well as my stiffer, shorter loft brushes, which surprised me. The only thing missing is a bit of scrub, which I like on occasion.

So, any reason the Polo over the Duke? I don't like the Polo as much as I thought I would - it doesn't seem as dense as I thought it would be, and it has prickly tips. I do love the handle though. I wonder how the Vulfix-made Polo 8 compares?

John
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

jhclare wrote: The only thing missing is a bit of scrub, which I like on occasion.
Then I would keep the Stubby or Alibaba- both are without doubt scrubby. That is, unless you want scritch. However, you really seem to like the Chubby, so keep that instead. Otherwise you might find yourself buying a new one in a few months and coming up short on the whole deal. As for the bristle on the Simfix, those on my three band T3 are very soft tipped very similar to a Rooney Heritage. The knot is about the same size as an Emillion, but less dense, so better flow--through and less scrub. My guess would be that a new Chubby Super 3 band would be like a Stubby or Emiilion.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Keep the Duke 3, the Polo for sure, and the Chubby. But you probably asked the wrong guy.
Regards,
David
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Why don't you just keep all and purchase a few more? You have a superb assortment of brushes there.
Regards,
Jani
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Aztecface wrote:Why don't you just keep all and purchase a few more?
I love this place!..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards,
David
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

David, heck, that's what I do.
Regards,
Jani
drumana

Post by drumana »

Nice collection of brushes. I can't believe the loft size of that Rooney 3/1 -it's huge! Mine is much smaller.
-Andrew-
jhclare

Post by jhclare »

I decided to sell the lot....

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... 923#480923

Thanks to everyone for their replies. They were very helpful.... but I (and my wallet) are now officially boar fans. :-D

John