Knot/loft preferences

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
druphus

Post by druphus »

M6Classic wrote:
vtmax wrote:I'll pop in with a knot size of 27m and loft around 95m. I have settled, after all these years, on the Simpsons Chubby 2....and maybe the Tulip 2 or 3 as they battle for my attention in the morning.

Max
Are you certain of that loft? If you actually meant 95 mm, that is one tall brush...or two tall brushes! I am not sure about everyone here, but I measure loft from the exposed base of the knot to the top of the tallest hairs.

Buzz
Yah, the loft on my Chubby 2 is 52mm (overall its 97mm).
Regards,
Andy
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

I also started out with larger brushes but am at 21mm knot and 55mm loft presently. I face lather so I am preferring smaller brushes for a little more lather placement control. Also I don't do as many passes as a lot of folks so lather volume and retention is not much of an issue.

Larry
drumana

Post by drumana »

I currently like knot sizes 20 - 22mm and lofts around 45 - 48mm. I like to build my lather on a soap puck in a bowl, and then face lather. These brush specs seem to work best for this.
-Andrew-
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Right, so loft seems to be the length of hair from handle base, ie 'he went aloft to the skysails of the clipper ship.' And again, I understand metric.
So again, will somebody explain knot?
druphus

Post by druphus »

KAV wrote:So again, will somebody explain knot?
It is the diameter of the "knot" of bristles that gets buried into the handle.
Regards,
Andy
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

The 30MM Knot & 60MM Loft of the Vulfix #41 suits me to a "T" and that is using it as a 100% hard soap face latherer. After only 3 years and close to 50 brush experiments, I arrived at where I am now.
Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, It is my understanding that that old blurb that listed the #41 at 30mm was a mistake and that the knot is really more like 26mm.
Regards,
Gordon
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

bernards66 wrote:Mike, It is my understanding that that old blurb that listed the #41 at 30mm was a mistake and that the knot is really more like 26mm.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon (Duke),
If you tell me that it is so, I believe it. The funny thing about Vulfix,.... I have no desire to own a Simpson/Vulfix (although I did own one... My 3 Simpson brushes are all Somerset ones).... BUT.... I'm Ga-Ga over this #41 and would like to try a #40 as well!!!
Mike