Best Shaving Brush?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
luigi

Best Shaving Brush?

Post by luigi »

I am a fairly new member of the wet shaving community, and I wish I had joined many years ago. I've gone the gamut from many types of electrics (Braun, Norelco, etc.) to all the disposable models, and I was never really pleased with the shave I received until I tried wet shaving with my first Str8, a Hen & Rooster (stainless). After doing some research, I finally went for the "best", a Thiers-Issard. Then I found an 1800's Wade & Butcher 1 inch in great condition. Shaving with these took me about a half-an-hour, so after reading testimony on this forum, I decided to try the Merkur DE. WOW, what a great shave in a fraction of the time (less cuts, too). Now, finally to the point.

I own three shaving brushes, a small Simpson sivertip, a BK8 Kent, and a CC2255 silvertip from the KnifeCenter. The Simpson seems to hold water the best, but I'm not sure if anyone has an opinion on these three brushes. Which brush do fellow members of this forum consider their favorite, and why? I appreciate your helping a fledgling like me. :roll:
Luigi shaves with a DE, but would shave more with his Str8s if he had the time.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Hi Luigi!

You already own several fine brushes and I've heard great things about them all. Personally I prefer the Vulfix 377 for everyday use. I also have a Simpson Super Polo 12 that I use from time to time but I find it takes more cream to load properly and takes a longer time to rinse afterwards. The 377 is my speedster for everyday shaves before work.

Vince
:::Vince:::
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Welcome to the community Luigi!

I like my 177 brush from shavemac.com in Germany....

But... it is my only brush ...for now. It does everything it is supposed to.

Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Luigi,

Got so much brushes that i can start a store with them...

Best price/value?? Vulfix 40/41

Peter
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

let me put a vote in for my kent bk8. it is a very nice sized brush, and the hairs are soft. i know they may not be true silvertip, but it is hand knotted and i got a great deal on it. id probably next get a vulfix or saville row, but because others said that kent was softer, i went that way and dont regret it

sam
tigert

Post by tigert »

My main brush is the vulfix 2236 and I love it, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the larger vulfix models like 2236/377 or 40/41.. excellent brushes and fantastic value. I do like the look of the handles on some of those kent brushes though. :)
luigi

Post by luigi »

Thanks, all. This has been an extremely worthwhile list of responses to my inquiry. I am pleased with my brushes. I haven't given the W & B a try after it was re-honed, especially since my DE has given me such a great shave without the cuts to deal with. I don't really want to give up a Str8 razor shave, but I am still undecided about which way to go in the long run. All your comments are greatly appreciated. I may have to look at a Vulfix in the future. :lol:
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Luigi,

Just curious: what DE are you using?
luigi

Post by luigi »

I have a Merkur Progress and a Merkur slant blade. The slant blade takes good care of curves and irregularities of the face, but I like making adjustments with the Progress (plus the great retro look). :wink: Ireceived some great advice about how to dial in the right shave for the first cut and then to dial down for the second pass against the grain. :D