Review: 3 Claveles Professional Horsehair Brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
malocchio

three carnations

Post by malocchio »

yes , three carnations company (3 claveles) actually specializes in cutlery,and what a selection they have ! beautiful stuff ....I have never owned a horse hair brush,but after reading gary's fine review I also ordered 2 brushes from the 3 claveles company,should get them by may 23...as for anthrax,I believe they originally worked around this by a formaldehyde dip in the early years,now they use a 5 minute 15 pps steam bath to eliminate any and all microbes...this is a hell of a lot more "green" than formaldehyde....and yes...italian barbers still use horsehair brushes...
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Malocchio,

That's what prompted me to search because I've positive experience with Marvy no. 53 horse brush. It's great neck duster to boot! My bristle fade brush works really well too because one side is soft for short hair while other is tough for long.

BTW great info!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Malocchio, thanks for the information about the manufacturing process. That answers a lot of questions. I really like the Professional model brush, it's one of my favorites, alongside the "badger boys".
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Gary,

How long did it take to get to you from Spain? Thanks

I'm glad these guys accept Paypal.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Seems to take at least 2 weeks, but never more than 3.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

3 CLAVELES VS. VIE-LONG

Post by malocchio »

I wonder if anyone has both vie-long and 3 claveles horse hair brushes ? I would love to see a comparison...both horse hair,both made in spain,both in the same price range....vie-long, for sure,has the greater selection , but that does not mean better quality than 3 claveles....any thoughts?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Recently, someone found a link to Vie-Long that shows what appears to be the identical brushes as 3 Claveles Professional horse brushes, so the question in my mind, regarding the Professional ones with the metal bolster on the handle, is "are some or all of the 3 Claveles brushes made by Vie-Long and rebranded?"
Gary

SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Malocchio,

I was actually considering getting them myself along with one of those badgers. I think it would only be fair if I took chance with these the way I did with Vie-Long.
brothers wrote:Recently, someone found a link to Vie-Long that shows what appears to be the identical brushes as 3 Claveles Professional horse brushes, so the question in my mind, regarding the Professional ones with the metal bolster on the handle, is "are some or all of the 3 Claveles brushes made by Vie-Long and rebranded?"
Gary,

They make them for J&M in both badger and boar

These Pro brushes are similar to the ones posted before.

If you go back to the section of scissors and brushes, you'll see that these

Look very much like these:
12315/13710C, 12705/13723C
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

IVAN,,,,,what is the j&m website link? do you think only the pro line is farmed out ,or do you think all the 3 claveles brushes are made by vie-long?
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

malocchio wrote:IVAN,,,,,what is the j&m website link? do you think only the pro line is farmed out ,or do you think all the 3 claveles brushes are made by vie-long?
Malocchio,

Not a clue. I did search way back and they only show up on Vie-Long's site I liked above:

Boar

Badger
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary

malocchio

Post by malocchio »

after checking all these links,I believe vie-long makes some or all the 3 claveles brushes,and vie-long and omega make all of the brushes for argos....if argos prices were lower ,they would be a great choice...if I ever get to spain...........
ziplepingouin

Post by ziplepingouin »

I think 3 claveles brushes are all manufactured by Vie Long in Spain, they look too similar to be just a coincidence IMO...

I also ordered the pro brush, no2 in brown (www.giftsandcare.com), it is also cheaper than 3 claveles shop...
95% wrote:Hmmm...those are quite attractive. I wonder what is meant by "extra horse." A superior grade of horsehair?
According to the seller on giftsandcare.com shop, the "extra hair" have been treated on the tips to give a better softness on the face.
Gifts&Care.com

Post by Gifts&Care.com »

Hi, I would like to help to clarify some of questions marks you have. Yes, it's correct that Vie-Long re-brand their brushes with 3claveles brand. In fact Vie-Long barber or professional brushes do not carry Vie-Long brand.
As previously mention, shaving brushes denominate it "extra hair", have been treated on the tips to give a better softness. Apart of that hair quality is the same as all professional brushes carry the same type of hair horse.
Same applies to Vie-Long horse hair collection or "badger imitation", all shaving brushes they offer are "extra horse" as all hair has been treated. Also, another curiosity or frequent question is about the line horsehair Vie-long brushes have. That line is tinted is not obviously a natural characteristic of the hair. That's why they are called in some places "Badger Imitation", because that tinted line imitates an original a unique characteristic from badger hair.
http://www.giftsandcare.com
Epsilon,Vie-Long,Saponificio,Razo Rock,Acca Kappa,La Toja,Floid,Myrsol,Mühle,444,Mondial,Semogue, T.O.B.S, M.W.F,Truefitt&Hill...and much more!
SMF Coupon Discount: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50283
malocchio

NO LUCK

Post by malocchio »

after 3 weeks with no contact,3 claveles ,a.k.a. aceros-de-espana ,sent me an email saying they were having trouble getting brushes from the "manufacturer",5 days after that i get another email saying both of the horse hair brushes i ordered are not available...really inept service...i cancelled the order..i plan to get one brush from bullgoose and one from giftsandcare ....STAY AWAY from 3 claveles
Last edited by malocchio on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifts&Care.com

Post by Gifts&Care.com »

Hi, just one more clarification. As I wanted to be 100% sure of what I mentioned last night I call our supplier, Vie-long. They confirmed me that among the 3 shaving brushes from the picture above, they only supply 3claveles the professional barber brush. The other 2 are supplied by another local supplier in Spain to 3claveles. Apologies for error on my first post.
http://www.giftsandcare.com
Epsilon,Vie-Long,Saponificio,Razo Rock,Acca Kappa,La Toja,Floid,Myrsol,Mühle,444,Mondial,Semogue, T.O.B.S, M.W.F,Truefitt&Hill...and much more!
SMF Coupon Discount: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50283
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have one professional and one of the other brushes from 3 Claveles. The Professional made by VieLong is the best of the two by a mile. I'm glad to know there is another source for these. I am thinking that with the Euro being down at the present time, I might consider a backup Professional. The shiny metal bolster gives it a unique look.
Gary

95%

Post by 95% »

Just for the record, Fendrihan in Canada has a selection of Vie-Long horsehair brushes. You don't have to order from Europe. They also carry some hard-to-find Semogue boars.
Porter
ziplepingouin

Post by ziplepingouin »

brothers wrote:I have one professional and one of the other brushes from 3 Claveles. The Professional made by VieLong is the best of the two by a mile. I'm glad to know there is another source for these. I am thinking that with the Euro being down at the present time, I might consider a backup Professional. The shiny metal bolster gives it a unique look.
Hello Brothers,

I had a few questions regarding your horse hair professional brush:
First how do you face lather with it? obviously it is floppier than boar, so do you use "paint" motion or "swirling" on th face?
Second question: how much time did it take to "break in"?

Thanks!
brothers

Post by brothers »

ziplepingouin wrote:
brothers wrote:I have one professional and one of the other brushes from 3 Claveles. The Professional made by VieLong is the best of the two by a mile. I'm glad to know there is another source for these. I am thinking that with the Euro being down at the present time, I might consider a backup Professional. The shiny metal bolster gives it a unique look.
Hello Brothers,

I had a few questions regarding your horse hair professional brush:
First how do you face lather with it? obviously it is floppier than boar, so do you use "paint" motion or "swirling" on th face?
Second question: how much time did it take to "break in"?

Thanks!
Hi Zip. It takes about 5 to 7 full multi-pass shaves to get the factory manufacturing odors out of it. Don't baby it or hold back. Use it vigorously, and rinse it before and after with hot water. When I got mine, I test-lathered it about 4 times with different shaving products, soaps mainly, in the palm of my hand to get an idea about how it's going to work. I think that helped a lot with getting it broken in when I started shaving with it.

I face lather with the horse brush by painting and swirling about the same as I do with a badger brush. The painting motion works pretty good with the horse. It handles water differently than a badger. You'll have to use it to understand what I'm trying to say. I think a badger soaks up more water and holds more water, so I don't have to add much during the lathering and shaving process with the badger.

The horse brush needs to be dunked a bit more thoroughly to get water into your lather. Don't be afraid to dunk it a bit more than you do the badger. A couple of drops aren't going to be enough, when you become aware that there's more water that stays in your badger, but the horse doesn't hold as much, and it lets the lather build on the face as opposed to doing what a badger brush does, which is making lather and storing it inside the badger bristles. This is my observation. The more you use it, the sooner you'll be able to understand how you can use it to your greatest advantage.

When I squeeze the lather out of it after the shave, it doesn't have the same volume of unused lather stored down inside as a comparable badger has. This is because it has less water in it. When I go back for the second and third pass, I dunk it and paint it, and the lather just grows.

Congrats on getting a horse brush, I hope you enjoy using yours in rotation with the badgers as much as I do.
Gary