Review: 3 Claveles Professional Horsehair Brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
ziplepingouin

Post by ziplepingouin »

brothers wrote:Hi Zip. It takes about 5 to 7 full multi-pass shaves to get the factory manufacturing odors out of it. Don't baby it or hold back. Use it vigorously, and rinse it before and after with hot water. When I got mine, I test-lathered it about 4 times with different shaving products, soaps mainly, in the palm of my hand to get an idea about how it's going to work. I think that helped a lot with getting it broken in when I started shaving with it.

I face lather with the horse brush by painting and swirling about the same as I do with a badger brush. The painting motion works pretty good with the horse. It handles water differently than a badger. You'll have to use it to understand what I'm trying to say. I think a badger soaks up more water and holds more water, so I don't have to add much during the lathering and shaving process with the badger.

The horse brush needs to be dunked a bit more thoroughly to get water into your lather. Don't be afraid to dunk it a bit more than you do the badger. A couple of drops aren't going to be enough, when you become aware that there's more water that stays in your badger, but the horse doesn't hold as much, and it lets the lather build on the face as opposed to doing what a badger brush does, which is making lather and storing it inside the badger bristles. This is my observation. The more you use it, the sooner you'll be able to understand how you can use it to your greatest advantage.

When I squeeze the lather out of it after the shave, it doesn't have the same volume of unused lather stored down inside as a comparable badger has. This is because it has less water in it. When I go back for the second and third pass, I dunk it and paint it, and the lather just grows.

Congrats on getting a horse brush, I hope you enjoy using yours in rotation with the badgers as much as I do.
Thanks a lot for your answer!
After the first use, I have to admit it wasn't the "great love", but I think I'll use this brush alone for a couple of weeks, and see how it works.
malocchio

NEW HORSES

Post by malocchio »

Here's a shot of my 3 new vie-long horse hair brushes from giftsandcare.com in spain...nice people,no problems....you will never find a better selection of brushes than vivaeureka.com . but they absolutely refuse to ship to america....aceros-de-espana.com has brushes advertized,but none in stock,and will wait for weeks and weeks before letting you know,emails are answered whenever they feel like it...small selection at giftsandcare , but very considerate vendors,and fast shipping..
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my opinion there isn't a prettier brush than the professional model with the metal bolster and the big, soft, black horsehair knot. Congratulations!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Blue As A Jewel

Re: NEW HORSES

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

malocchio wrote:Here's a shot of my 3 new vie-long horse hair brushes from giftsandcare.com in spain...nice people,no problems....you will never find a better selection of brushes than vivaeureka.com . but they absolutely refuse to ship to america....aceros-de-espana.com has brushes advertized,but none in stock,and will wait for weeks and weeks before letting you know,emails are answered whenever they feel like it...small selection at giftsandcare , but very considerate vendors,and fast shipping..
Very nice selection of brushes - congrats!

BTW - did you use your dog as the background? :lol:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
malocchio wrote:Here's a shot of my 3 new vie-long horse hair brushes from giftsandcare.com in spain...nice people,no problems....you will never find a better selection of brushes than vivaeureka.com . but they absolutely refuse to ship to america....aceros-de-espana.com has brushes advertized,but none in stock,and will wait for weeks and weeks before letting you know,emails are answered whenever they feel like it...small selection at giftsandcare , but very considerate vendors,and fast shipping..

RAVI ! THAT'S PRETTY GOOD ! no...just one of my coffee table lamb pelts from east africa (eritrea)
ziplepingouin

Post by ziplepingouin »

Great looking brushes! I took the brown one ("extra" horse), and like it very much, after a couple of weeks of use it "broke in" very nicely.
Don't hesitate to put your feedback too!

ziplepingouin

Post by ziplepingouin »

Btw this brush is famous! A few screen shots of the Spanish movie "Pan's Labyrinth"

:o
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

[quote="ziplepingouin"]Btw this brush is famous! A few screen shots of the Spanish movie "Pan's Labyrinth"

HEY! I like this movie very much !,I will pull it out and watch it again,did not notice the brocha de afeitar caballo puro
malocchio

caballo peqeno

Post by malocchio »

I have been shaving with the smaller brush,the 13800 red/clear lucite,19mm ringmass,and it IS very different than badger,especially a silvertip..I just run my badger brushes under hot running water for a minute ,then apply a strip of cream,with the horsehair I find a 4 minute soak in a shave mug of hot water is best.it does take a little extra effort to whip up a lather,but the results are really nice.this is a great brush for lifting the whiskers with its nice scrubbing bristles,not rough,but you feel the tips.I get no indication of floppiness with this small brush...the lather lasts on the brush for 4-5 passes,no problem at all...if you try a horsehair and don't get a nice lather,you either have too little water,a short soak,or not enough cream or soap...this brush is real bargain,,footnote...on the giftsandcare page,this little brush looks bright cherry red,it is not,it is the same deep red as the others...beautiful brush,I will try the barber pro next...
malocchio

horses

Post by malocchio »

I have had several shaves with all 3 horse hair brushes from vie-long now...all 3 are great to use..I lost 2 hairs from the pro brush first time out,then none...same story for the smallest brush,and only one from the mid size brush,,,,the pro brush looks like it would be soft and sloppy,the loft is so long,but it is not,the tips are scrubby,but with a nice thick lather they feel scrubby,not scratchy....I prefer the mid size brush over the smaller brush,only because it is faster to lather the face,and does have a little more backbone.....at the prices these go for,they are a real bargain,and a treat to shave with...and I must add,I had absolutely zero problems with "strong odors",etc...my brushes were almost odor free,even before I washed them before first use...the handles on all 3 brushes are first class...
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:

LOL ! :lol:

How dare you Sir !
My wife was used for that photo shoot's background !
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by Gifts&Care.com »

Hi Malocchio, you're absolutely right. The picture of the 13800 we had on our web site was not representing at all the real colour or look of that shaving brush. Light on that picture was not good. We have update it the picture and know you can appreciate much better how it really looks.

http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/catalog/ ... brush.html

Best Regards.
http://www.giftsandcare.com
Epsilon,Vie-Long,Saponificio,Razo Rock,Acca Kappa,La Toja,Floid,Myrsol,Mühle,444,Mondial,Semogue, T.O.B.S, M.W.F,Truefitt&Hill...and much more!
SMF Coupon Discount: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50283
SiR-ed8

Re: horses

Post by SiR-ed8 »

malocchio wrote:I have had several shaves with all 3 horse hair brushes from vie-long now...all 3 are great to use..I lost 2 hairs from the pro brush first time out,then none...same story for the smallest brush,and only one from the mid size brush,,,,the pro brush looks like it would be soft and sloppy,the loft is so long,but it is not,the tips are scrubby,but with a nice thick lather they feel scrubby,not scratchy....I prefer the mid size brush over the smaller brush,only because it is faster to lather the face,and does have a little more backbone.....at the prices these go for,they are a real bargain,and a treat to shave with...and I must add,I had absolutely zero problems with "strong odors",etc...my brushes were almost odor free,even before I washed them before first use...the handles on all 3 brushes are first class...
Malocchio,

Glad you had positive experience with Gifts&Care. So you like 13723 over the 13800? Which of handle do you prefer between the two?
I reckon the Pro would be ultimate mug/bowl lather machine. How's that coming along?
malocchio

IT'S ALL GOOD BABY !!

Post by malocchio »

IVAN,I like them all..the small brush certainly has less hair,but it is a good brush for its size...I like the handle on the small 13800 best,very classy and gives omega a challenge....the 13800 is better with creams,and better with a bowl,you can face lather,it just takes more rpms...the 13723 is great,works well with everything,scrubby but not scratchy....the handle is very classy also,but lacks sex appeal that the 13800 has...the 4212 extra hair black pro barber brush is the big surprise,I have read some comments that said it was "floppy",I think those users are not letting the tips to the work,and are applying too much pressure, it certainly is not a stiff backboned brush,but when used as an old italian barber would use it,the brush is very unique..the handle is old world and very generous in size,what a grip on this thing..I have really enjoyed the difference in my horse hair brushes,I will not let these go,they will stay in my rotation for sure..I also see posts about horrible smells...not mine...all 3 had only the lightest of scent,not putrid at all,one wash,one shave = zero scent...anyone who does not dislike a wee bit of scrubbiness on the skin will like horsehair,and I repeat,no other country makes a horse hair brush and handle like the spaniards
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Malocchio,

For the 4212 Extra Horse, do you face lather or paint? Do you find one to be better than the other? I reckon paint would be more suitable. Do you have a preference with this brush between two methods?

BTW, none of mine had the malodorous scent either. It smelled like Vulfix out-of-box but wasn't offensive when wet.
malocchio

easy to pleas

Post by malocchio »

[quote="SiR-ed8"]Malocchio,

For the 4212 Extra Horse, do you face lather or paint? Do you find one to be better than the other? I reckon paint would be more suitable. Do you have a preference with this brush between two methods?

BTW, none of mine had the malodorous scent either. It smelled like Vulfix out-of-box but wasn't offensive when wet............................I don't know where these guys get that "bad odor" thing from..you are not going to get a fresh made animal hair brush with absolutely zero scent when new,but it is certainly not offensive ..to tell the truth,I use ALL my brushes with both bowl,soap,creams,and I will bowl one day and face lather the next. I never have a problem mixing techniques and brushes.one will need a few more laps on the face or bowl,and others a little extra cream....variety IS the spice of life.. I would say the pro brush is faster to lather in a bowl,and I use a stone bowl that is not so smooth,the extra friction in the bowl makes lather come up faster and creamier,the lucite handled brushes are faster with creams...I am not looking to make a "rapid" shave..if I wanted "FAST" I would use a plastic throw away toy,and beat the crap out of my face in a 3 minute shave !!I take my time and enjoy the fine horse hairs from giftsandcare.com...they have a nice sale now and happy championship to ESPANA !!
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Malocchio,

Well said my friend. A lot have mentioned how Omega smells. I don't recall any of mine smelling that bad. I reckon ones mentioned must have been the Pro barber models.

Do you have your eye on any other Vie-Long? Horse/Boar barber perhaps or their Badgers?
malocchio

more brushes ?

Post by malocchio »

SiR-ed8 wrote:Malocchio,

Well said my friend. A lot have mentioned how Omega smells. I don't recall any of mine smelling that bad. I reckon ones mentioned must have been the Pro barber models.

Do you have your eye on any other Vie-Long? Horse/Boar barber perhaps or their Badgers?
IVAN I will soon put up a new unused muhle 20mm pure for sale,I have a new thater and it's a jewell...vie-long has wonderful brushes,I would like to get the red lucite top of the line 23mm,, silvertip,I love that brush,but it is probably no better than my thater,if it can match the quality..I really would like to get a few brushes from vivaeureka.com....he has the finest selection in all spain,and has more than omega...he will not ship out of spain and will not,in my experiences,return emails,even those sent to him in espanol !!
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Janus wrote:Teiste, do you know if the 3 claveles brushes are also made in Spain? Apparently they do make cutlery items and scissors there, but I don't see any mention of shaving brushes on their web site:
http://www.buenohermanos.com/espanol/inicio.shtm
..............yes......tres claveles brushes are made in spain..if you want to see beautiful spanish brushes check out vivaeureka.com
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well, one year has passed since the brush came to live here. It's been a trusty friend, now back in regular rotation use, after standing idle for a few weeks while the new recruits have been incorporated into the range. I do not recall any lost hairs, so there mustn't have been many. It's swimming in the same pond as some good badger company, plus the big Omega. It's a professional in name and in performance, and I count myself fortunate to have it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444