The best of the 2-bands?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
stanmog

The best of the 2-bands?

Post by stanmog »

There has been a spate of new 2-band brushes from Simpson and Vulfix. Probably compelled by consumer demand, these brushes are very tightly packed with 2 band badger. As a result of this tight packing, lather-making seems to suffer. Along comes the Grosvenor in two band, specially made by Vulfix for Bullgoose. Two band badger, but not so tightly packed as other Simpson/Vulfix recent brushes. I have for comparison 2 band Polo 8, Emporor, and 90th anniversary Astor (as well as a several year old 2 band Chubby 2 and a Manchurian white Chubby 3). Of all these, the Grosvenor performs best. No matter the substrate (soap, cream, face or bowl) this brush makes more lather, and with less effort, than any other in my collection, and gives it up more easily to the face. And of all these brushes, the Grovennor was by far least expensive. Thanks, Bullgoose.

Regards,
Stan
Last edited by stanmog on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jss

Post by jss »

Stan, that's a hearty endorsement of the Grosvenor..Thanks for posting....

Best regards,
Best regards,

Julian
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I have also found the Grosvenor 2 band brush to be the finest among 30+ odd brushes I have owned to include other high end Simpson, Plisson, Kent, etc. The flow thru is superb. Dense enough, fantastic face feel, and just the right sized loft and handsome well crafted faux ivory handle.
Mike
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

I picked up a Grosvenor brush on the BST here and sadly it has lost about 20 hairs in the last 2 shaving sessions. Its a good thing i have a great deal of brushes, or this could be bald by the end of the month.
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Mine shed a bit at first, too, but stopped. As did the 90th anniv. Astor.
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

mine hasn't shed a hair thus far (~10 shaves). It is fantastic but a bit more bulbous than Mike's specimen. Still works great and is really a monster with hard soaps.
Best,
Scott
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've not noticed a traffic jam of lather on the other "super brush," the Colonel X2L two-band. The Grosvenor's flowthrough must be quite something.
Ron
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

rsp1202 wrote:I've not noticed a traffic jam of lather on the other "super brush," the Colonel X2L two-band. The Grosvenor's flowthrough must be quite something.
I owned a Colonel 2 band for approximately 15-20 minutes. It was sold immediately after one lather. I prefer the Grosvenor. I hope jkh (Jeremy) enjoys it however.
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Mike

Nice pic. thanks for posting

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Maybe the shave gods will permit another run of these Grosvenors someday, and I'll just have to see what the fuss is all about. The Duke 3 keeps losing its place in line, poor thing.
Ron
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

I firmly believe that excessive density isn't necessarily optimal for lathering.. at least for my tastes. I find the moderately dense brushes make a lather that has the perfect balance between being thick, but not dry and wet, but not runny. This seems to result in a closer, smoother shaves. I think the old Simpson brushes were probably just about perfect. I had a Chubby 2 three band that was dense, but not over the top and it worked great. However, at the end of the day, it was a bit larger than what I needed and started to naturally grab the BK4 because it was so much more manageable for me. My face isn't all that big so bigger brushes are kind messy. The BK4 is one of the best at a reasonable price. My favourite and the only one that I find myself wishing I still had was an original CH1 Best that I sold a while back. I haven't really regretted parting with much of the stuff I've had over the years, but they just arent' making the CHs Best with that kind of bristle and perfect density anymore.

Best,
Marion
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

My first 2-band Grosvenor began shedding so badly that I returned it to Phil (Bullgoose) who kindly credited me the full purchase price. I now have one of the second batch. It has the same properties as the first: 2 band hair, not too densely packed, soft on the face, makes copious lather. The knot looks very much like that on the Ehsan, but is less densely packed, which to me seems preferable as it is a better latherer. Time will tell if it becomes a shedder. My first Grosvenor was the 5th of the first run of 40 to be returned to Phil, so there was obviously something wrong with that batch.
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

thanks for sharing your experience. i have one from the first batch that has barely shed a hair, but i will keep my eye on it. i like it so much that i bought one of the most recent batch as a back-up. :D
Best,
Scott
jhclare

Post by jhclare »

I had very high hopes for this brush based on all the positive reviews here and elsewhere.

I was rather disappointed. It looks great, feels great in the hand, nice size and heft. However, I found the knot to feel rather unpleasant on the face - too prickly and "springy".

To me this feels like a low-end Best grade, not a proper two-band Super.

Heck, maybe the new batch differs to the original run, but I sold mine after only a few uses. My New Forest 2201 is far superior, and was a fraction of the cost.

John
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Again, those who love their LE's need to email Vulfix and tell them. A limited run item that receives feedback close to the production number is going to receive attention.
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

I have a Grosvenor LE from Phil which is from the second batch; a beautiful brush! Zero shedding; not one hair. I don't have that much experience but think the density is absolutely perfect. With denser brushes I have difficulty getting excess water out, and end up with water running from the base of the knot when I face lather, even after squeezing the knot. This does not happen with the Grosvenor.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

stanmog wrote:My first 2-band Grosvenor began shedding so badly that I returned it to Phil (Bullgoose) who kindly credited me the full purchase price. I now have one of the second batch. It has the same properties as the first: 2 band hair, not too densely packed, soft on the face, makes copious lather. The knot looks very much like that on the Ehsan, but is less densely packed, which to me seems preferable as it is a better latherer. Time will tell if it becomes a shedder. My first Grosvenor was the 5th of the first run of 40 to be returned to Phil, so there was obviously something wrong with that batch.
This is discouraging. I got one from the first batch, but I haven't actually used it. I hope it doesn't prove to be a shedder when I finally get around to it.

- Murray
Dale

Post by Dale »

I bought two of the Grosvenors from the initial batch, just in case one turned out to be a shedder. Sure enough, one was a shedder and Phil took care of it. The second brush has not shed a hair. It is simply an outstanding brush.
Regards,
Dale
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I, too, had a shedder from the first batch which Paul graciously handled. Once the shedding started, dozens of bristles were depositied on my face and in the sink each morning. When the LE's were again available, I was reluctant to buy another one, even though it was as close to a perfect brush as one could have. As luck would have it, I bought a new Emperor 3 two band from a member who had two. The handle was more to my liking, the density similar to the LE so the lathering was right on, and the loft, while 2 mm larger in diameter was bulb shaped (preferred) and did not splay any larger than the LE. It was perfect replacement, functionally and aesthetically. No question, though, the LE (and the Emperor) are as good as it can get.

(I hear Polo 8 two band owners are a VERY happy lot, as well.)
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Interesting to hear the comparison between the Grosvenor and Emperor since that hasn't been done before. Glad you like the E3.
Ron