Some "Butterscotch" and Ivory brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
mycarver

Some "Butterscotch" and Ivory brushes

Post by mycarver »

As I said in another post I've been working with and discovering how these synthetics work. Here are a few examples.
The knots range from pure, best and silver tip. I've just used the Ivory one today for the first time and I'll post those shots in another post. But for the butterscotch I rotated the two shots so you can see the variations in the patterns.

SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Absolutely stunning! Really like the butterscotch! Kindly post specs of them?

How long have you been turning? NVM checked your site.

BTW is that real ivory or faux ivory? Thanks
mycarver

Post by mycarver »

I'm a professional woodcarver/woodworker at it for 20 yrs now. In other posts you can see examples of my other work in wood.
This is the "faux " ivory that is probably most commonly seen today. I wish I could get my hands on the real thing. Though in most cases it's illegal. But I am having success in actually being able to carve this ivory. I'll show my results soon. I have also in another post described the first use of the ivory handled one. What a dream. In that I used the Silver tip ,22mm knot set at approx 55mm(+ -) All the knots started at approx. 65mm Height. In bloom they arrive at approx. 75mm width.
This seems to be a general starting point for me. Gives the best between soft and firm though individual preferences vary.
The beehive is 47mm high X32mm W flaring to a 40mm base.
The elongated "chubby" is 60mm X 37mm W
And the Ali Baba or Persian vase,, is 68 mm X 35mm W'
Any of these dimensions can be altered but it's what suited me at the time.
As far as the loft goes I'm still experimenting with the three brushes, Pure, Best and Silver Tip.
I've made a temp handle where I can adjust at will the depth of the knot to see just how it responds to height changes. For example, the Silver Tip , set at an average of 55 works well with creams. Not as great with soaps as it tends to be a bit "floppy" Now if I set it a bit deeper it seems to stiffen up a bit more and lends itself better to soaps and face lathering. You can feel a bit more backbone in it. Now the others,, they tend to be a bit stiffer from the start. I like that for many reasons. So I'm not setting them as deep.
This is just my personal preferences as I keep experimenting and going from brush to brush, soap to cream and on and on.
Everyone had their own preferences and as for me,, I can make these any way I like to suit my own tastes. I'll always make more.
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Mark,

Thank you! Your website is very impressive and you've quite a resume!

It's not a big deal as to whether or not it's real Ivory I know they were banned some time ago. But I've few of them from Simpsons and Vulfix.

Are those knots from Tony ( The Golden Nib )?

Will you be experimenting with boar as well? I had buddy turn me some pieces. The knot was set deeper on one of them because I didn't want badger knot but instead boar and used 24 knot from TGN and was set deeper. It was originally 65 mm loft down to 58. As scrubby as that was from the get go it was tougher to boot!

Glad you're having fun in process Mark! I've some rough sketches of handles few a bit too extreme. If you're interested let me know and I'll PM the designs.
Pureslab

Post by Pureslab »

Mark , your work is stunning.
soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

Your fowl look so real! Ever thought of making wooden shaving bowls?
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com