Rooney Finest

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

paddy wrote:not entirely off topic i hope, but i was on the plisson site today and noticed that you can now only get HMW hair in their ivory handled brushes.

i was toying over the last few months with the idea of treating myself to a HMW in horn either a #14 or #16. however the highest grade available in horn now seems to be just the pure white. has it been like this for a while? is there much difference between the pure white and the HMW hair?
Here's the link to the Horn HMW's http://tinyurl.com/36ccpkm
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Ravi, spend the money on that Pils razor instead...
Richard
Blue As A Jewel

rustyblade wrote:Ravi, spend the money on that Pils razor instead...
Looks like they're sold out!
- Ravi -

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
rustyblade wrote:Ravi, spend the money on that Pils razor instead...
Looks like they're sold out!
What terrible luck on a friday evening. On the bright side you'll have more money available to you for the weekend.
Richard
paddy

Post by paddy »

good man. thanks.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Blue As A Jewel

paddy wrote:
good man. thanks.
My wife says the same thing... :wink:
- Ravi -

jhclare

Post by jhclare »

For a while I lusted after a two-band, preferably Rooney Finest.

I finally got my hands on a Trumpers branded two-band Duke.

I discovered that in fact I did not like the overly stiff, pointy bulb- shaped knot, or the scritchy tips, and have swapped it with a member here.

Does anyone know why Vulfix/Simpsons insists on bulb shaped knots for their two-band brushes?

Looks like I've saved myself a bunch of cash - for me boar offers the same characteristics (but with with softertips) for a fraction of the price.

I do absolutely love my SR3122 though - it has satisfied all my needs of a badger brush.

John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Well, whitecap bristle varys a good deal in characteristics. I had a white bespoke Vulfix once that was prickly as hell ( beautiful looking though ), whilst my Rooney Finest and Plisson HMW are very comfy on the face. I've not used one but this recent round of Simpson two bands provided by Phil are said to be very soft on the face. So it depends. All in all though, after years of fiddling around with all this, I do tend to prefer the highest grade of grey badger, like Simpson used to use in their higher end Best models, to most whitecap. Boar brushes are a no-go for me however.
Regards,
Gordon
river1

Re: Rooney Finest

Post by river1 »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Can anybody tell me if Rooney has discountinued this range? I searched the forum to see if there was any news - but didn't find anything. I also emailed Classic and they advise they don't expect to have it back in stock.

Vintage blades doesn't have it on their site either... Whutup?
When I tried to buy a R Finest, Classic never returned any of my emails and Jim from Vintage said that that particular hair was no longer available and Rooney would not lower their standards so they offer the 2 band now.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

It wasn't with a brush, but I have had a similar experience with Classic Shaving. It appears to me that Classic will do anything to avoid using the word "No", even if it means appearing rude.
river1

Post by river1 »

notthesharpest wrote:It wasn't with a brush, but I have had a similar experience with Classic Shaving. It appears to me that Classic will do anything to avoid using the word "No", even if it means appearing rude.
Thanks, I thought it may just be me......
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

desertbadger wrote:A few months ago, a friend and I got lucky and we both picked up a Rooney's Emillion in finest. This is the original fan shaped model, not the light bulb model currently offered. The dealer didn't even know they had it in stock! My friend found it completely by accident as he was searching for an altogether different model brush. This was a lucky find for both of us and it was the end of the Finest Rooney's..... :cry:

Regards,
David
David, though this is an old thread, I find myself recalling it upon occasion. I've settled in with Omega boars as my go-to brushes, and prefer the face-feel of the '05's, 10066, 20102 etc, though I still have a full complement of badgers. I have several two-banded Simpson's, both Somerset and Simfix, but the badger I now use when I'm looking for a change-of-pace is the Polo 8 Simfix Best.

Though I have more nice badger brushes than I'll ever need, there is one that I would no doubt grab if it became available, the Emillion Finest, that rarity in your possession. I find, as you've noted, that the Emillion has the most comfortable handle of any brush I've used. If a Finest were to appear on my radar, another badger would join my stable.

Therein lies a tale. I attend annual industry golf events in Palm Desert, and generally stop in to visit with the ladies at Classic Shaving when passing by. A couple of years ago, I was given a tour of the warehouse, including a view of some of their Emillions in stock. Your very brush was probably lost in the stack under my nose.

Regrets. What could have been.....

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”