Rooney Finest

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

notthesharpest wrote:No - it's a labelled Rooney.
Really? This is bad. I don't remember owning such a brush.....but I probably did!
Richard
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I received the following reply from Jim Ayars at Vintage Blades on my inquiry on the Rooney Finest:

"...Rooney is no longer producing their brushes in the Finest grade due to the lack of availability of badger hair in a quality that meets their standards to be called “Rooney’s Finest”. The badger hair that was used in these brushes was very unique and had a natural white color at the tips, since Rooney does not use hair that is bleached. While some other manufacturers have seen fit to continue a product line with grades of hair of lesser quality, yet maintain the same price level, Rooney has elected not to do so. They have not discontinued the Finest grade. It will be available once again when they are able to source badger hair of the necessary quality."

That makes me feel better! Now only if I had patience as a virtue!!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Ravi, start breeding finest badgers. In Winnipeg.

BTW, how do you feel about curried badger?
Richard
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

rustyblade wrote:
Really? This is bad. I don't remember owning such a brush.....but I probably did!
Here's the shameful proof. :)
(Including my ...umm... slightly inaccurate thoughts on not getting any more brushes...) :oops:
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

notthesharpest wrote:
rustyblade wrote:
(Including my ...umm... slightly inaccurate thoughts on not getting any more brushes...) :oops:
Ah! You're confused then! That is a style 1, size 1, pictured with a style 2 size 1 and a style 3, size 1. Gotta love Rooney's numbering system.
Richard
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I received the following reply from Jim Ayars at Vintage Blades on my inquiry on the Rooney Finest:

"...Rooney is no longer producing their brushes in the Finest grade due to the lack of availability of badger hair in a quality that meets their standards to be called “Rooney’s Finest”. The badger hair that was used in these brushes was very unique and had a natural white color at the tips, since Rooney does not use hair that is bleached. While some other manufacturers have seen fit to continue a product line with grades of hair of lesser quality, yet maintain the same price level, Rooney has elected not to do so. They have not discontinued the Finest grade. It will be available once again when they are able to source badger hair of the necessary quality."

Bah, humbug.. :evil: ...Vulfix'/Simpsons two band super is identical to Rooney's finest and opposed to Rooney Vulfix has no problem to reveal that this kind of badger is in fact bleached...

Triggers my curmudgeon mood this nonsense... :evil:
Peter
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

rustyblade wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:
rustyblade wrote: Really? This is bad. I don't remember owning such a brush.....but I probably did!
Ah! You're confused then! That is a style 1, size 1, pictured with a style 2 size 1 and a style 3, size 1. Gotta love Rooney's numbering system.
YOU called it style 1 size 2! And that's what it is according to the measurements. The 1/1 is quite a bit smaller.

Edit: It's also got style 1 size 2 printed on the box.
Last edited by notthesharpest on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

drP wrote:
Blue As A Jewel wrote:I received the following reply from Jim Ayars at Vintage Blades on my inquiry on the Rooney Finest:

Bah, humbug.. :evil: ...Vulfix'/Simpsons two band super is identical to Rooney's finest and opposed to Rooney Vulfix has no problem to reveal that this kind of badger is in fact bleached...

I wasn't going to touch this, because I suspected that the latest comment from Rooney was more marketing ploy than fact.

I can't prove anything about bleaching vs. no bleaching. But if Peter says the hair is the same, then that's good enough for me.

Ravi, maybe you should try to find one of the new crop of 2-band Simpsons. Probably easier to find since they're recent and people are trying them out (and therefore potentially not liking them). Most of the Rooney Finests have settled into permanent homes by now.
Blue As A Jewel

notthesharpest wrote:
rustyblade wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:Here's the shameful proof. :)
YOU called it style 1 size 2! And that's what it is according to the measurements. The 1/1 is quite a bit smaller.

That's definitely a Style 1 Medium (i.e Size 2)...
- Ravi -

Blue As A Jewel

notthesharpest wrote:
Ravi, maybe you should try to find one of the new crop of 2-band Simpsons. Probably easier to find since they're recent and people are trying them out (and therefore potentially not liking them). Most of the Rooney Finests have settled into permanent homes by now.
I've got me eye on a Simpsons T4... as an interim measure.
- Ravi -

Blue As A Jewel

notthesharpest wrote:
drP wrote:

I wasn't going to touch this, because I suspected that the latest comment from Rooney was more marketing ploy than fact.

I can't prove anything about bleaching vs. no bleaching. But if Peter says the hair is the same, then that's good enough for me.

I thought that as well - re-release the Finest at a higher price based on uncertainty and rarity. Good way to get up to the Plisson HMW #16 price point in a hurry...

Peter's word is pretty good for me as well - although it hasn't dampened my desire to acquire one... ...well maybe a bit especially if they muck around on the pricing!
- Ravi -

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I think T3 would be a better bet than T4. The 4 is reportedly tall enough in the loft to spread out too much in use.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

notthesharpest wrote:
rustyblade wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:Here's the shameful proof. :)

That is shameful evidence of my past. I also purchased an Old Apothecary equivalent at some point also meaning I had two of the same brushes. Granted the OA brush was only $75...couldn't resist.
Richard
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I feel no shame in also having one of the Old Apothecary-type brushes that are really the same (mine is completely unmarked).

That one was not from you.

That one was from Sam.

:lol:
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I also have a few of the Apothecary brushes. I got those straight from the source and I don't have any shame either. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ah, the OA brushes. Well, went I got my beehive, the first large size that Lee made, well, I was all over that. That hair, I think it is the heritage, felt so perfect, soft, with resiliency, that it made me sell the OA brushes. I have one brush I miss that I sold, but that beehive, well, love to look at it and use it.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Yes, you're pretty damn spoiled at this point. That custom Beehive that you have is one of the absolutely best all around brushes I've ever used. It'll make this planned new brush acquistion especially challenging....coupled with your trademark dithering ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gordon, I have considered some brushmakers that are on ebay, Rudy Vey, others.
Blue As A Jewel

notthesharpest wrote:I think T3 would be a better bet than T4. The 4 is reportedly tall enough in the loft to spread out too much in use.
Good point. I'll check out the loft differences.
- Ravi -

paddy

Post by paddy »

not entirely off topic i hope, but i was on the plisson site today and noticed that you can now only get HMW hair in their ivory handled brushes.

i was toying over the last few months with the idea of treating myself to a HMW in horn either a #14 or #16. however the highest grade available in horn now seems to be just the pure white. has it been like this for a while? is there much difference between the pure white and the HMW hair?
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.