Two-band Tips?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
roboboticus

Two-band Tips?

Post by roboboticus »

I recently purchased a Simpsons CH1 in super two-band, and I'm struggling to learn how best to use it. I'm face lathering with soaps, and this hair definitely behaves differently from the 3-bands I'm used to; different from the boar as well. Maybe it's just part of the break-in process, but does anyone have any useful tips on how to get the most out of this brush?
Last edited by roboboticus on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Ivan...the brush should loosen up a bit and the flow through will improve as it breaks in. Typically, it takes at least 20 uses to break in these dense two band brushes. Once broken in, it should shine when face lathering soaps.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

How about face lathering creams?
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Ecosse wrote:How about face lathering creams?
It should also work well face lathering creams.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I've definately also noticed that firm whitecap brushes like that take a considerably longer break-in period. Years ago, when I first got my Plisson #14 EW I didn't like it much and thought I'd made a $220 mistake. But over time, the brush grew softer and more tractable. The same with my Rooney Finest. They both became a pleasure to use eventually.
Regards,
Gordon
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

BullGoose wrote:
Ecosse wrote:How about face lathering creams?
It should also work well face lathering creams.
Phil, I've been eying up that Vie Long 16726. Doesn't seem to get much air time though.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Same here Gordon, at first I thought my Rooney Finest was too stiff but once it was broken in it became my favorite brush.
Regards,
Squire
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Ecosse wrote:
Phil, I've been eying up that Vie Long 16726. Doesn't seem to get much air time though.
The Vie-Long 16726 is a very nice brush but it differs considerably from Rooney and Simpson. It is not as dense and stiff as the two band Simpson Brushes but it does have pretty good backbone and very good flow through with extremely soft tips. It is really a great all around brush.

- Phil
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Two-band Tips?

Post by notthesharpest »

roboboticus wrote:I recently purchase a Simpsons CH1 in super two-band, and I'm struggling to learn how best to use it. I'm face lathering with soaps, and this hair definitely behaves differently from the 3-bands I'm used to; different from the boar as well. Maybe it's just part of the break-in process, but does anyone have any useful tips on how to get the most out of this brush?
It seems that every batch of badger hair has its own idiosyncracies. Getting used to your own brush is therefore the biggest hurdle. Experiment to find out the smallest amount of soap you can use with this brush and still get a not-bad lather. Find out how much water it takes to get that. Then add a comfortable amount of both soap and water from there, to give yourself a "cushion" both figuratively and literally.

Cream, soap, bowl lathering, face lathering, all will work fine - it's just a matter of experimenting to achieve the result you want.

As far as break-in, just use the brush the best way you can at the moment, and disregard the break-in.
roboboticus

Post by roboboticus »

That seems like sound advice, and an approach I hadn't considered (starting with the least amount of product that's still sufficient). Thanks
Ivan
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Squire wrote:Same here Gordon, at first I thought my Rooney Finest was too stiff but once it was broken in it became my favorite brush.
I agree with Squire and Gordon here, my Rooney Finest 2/1 I bought a couple years ago didn't see much action in the beginning since I favored my softer brushes, but as time goes on and it had softened up it has become used more and more.
Best of both worlds, it's softening up but still stiff and offers great backbone, flow-through, and whips up a great lather. Out of my dozen brushes I'd pick this and my Simpson Milk Churn if I had to pick two.

(Notice in true SMF style I allowed myself two, not just one :))
Rob
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

roboboticus wrote:That seems like sound advice, and an approach I hadn't considered (starting with the least amount of product that's still sufficient). Thanks
As a way of immediately getting a good shave, it ranks with the worst advice out there. :)

But as part of getting to know your brush, I think it's not a bad idea at all. Sort of like messing with the controls on a new machine to see what it will do.
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

I recall when I purchased a pre vulfix CH2 two band super. It was a beautiful brush and one that I really do wish I still had. It was rather dense and I had never used a two band brush. I always had three band super or best brushes. I remember being shaken up that I spent all that money on a brush that I couldn't get to lather worth a penny. I mean, I really couldn't get it to work and I couldn't figure out what the hype was other than the appearance. After using it enough times, I got it work, but honestly it never seemed to lather as easily and efficiently as the other three band Simpson supers I've had or bests. However, I still wish I had the brush and once getting it broken in, it was a great piece.

Best,
Marion
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Like I said on TSD, if you can't get lather out of a CH1, you probably shouldn't continue with wet shaving :lol:
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

BullGoose wrote:
Ecosse wrote:
The Vie-Long 16726 is a very nice brush but it differs considerably from Rooney and Simpson. It is not as dense and stiff as the two band Simpson Brushes but it does have pretty good backbone and very good flow through with extremely soft tips. It is really a great all around brush.
The Vie-Long is a gorgeous little brush both aesthetically and functionally -As Phil has said it has terrific flow through - my particular specimen didn't have particulary soft tips, well noticeable to me anyway but its a right little workhorse of a brush... I just wish it came in a scaled up version...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
BullGoose wrote:
Ecosse wrote:
The Vie-Long is a gorgeous little brush both aesthetically and functionally -As Phil has said it has terrific flow through - my particular specimen didn't have particulary soft tips, well noticeable to me anyway but its a right little workhorse of a brush... I just wish it came in a scaled up version...
That sounds like my kind of brush. One of the reasons I like my Vulfix 2233 boar so much is its so soft, on the verge of floppyness.
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Ivan, I am about 25 shaves into a pre-Vulfix (Somerset) CH2 two band right now and it put up a good fight but it is finally breaking in. It does take a while. I would agree the three bands are easier to acquire optimal lather from the get go but stick with it as it will shine once it has matured a bit.

Max