Thiers Issard Brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Blue As A Jewel

Thiers Issard Brushes

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Does anyone have any information or experience with TI brushes? Are they actually made by TI or commissioned?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I've been told they're "commissioned" but I don't know by whom. Likely a small French producer like Gerson. I've seen a few of them and while the handles are nicely turned I didn't care much for the knots. They were pretty loosely packed similar to Vulfix which I personally am not a fan of. Also, the lofts were fairly tall given the knot size. As always YMMV.

Chris
Blue As A Jewel

Thanks Chris - I suspected they were not made in-house - while the handles look gorgeous, their knot seems to be their short-coming - described as floppy - they have however come up with a "forte" or high density version, proporting to have 25-30% more hair (depending on which vendor to are talking to)... This new version is supposed to be quite a bit stiffer... and is what intrigues me...
Last edited by Blue As A Jewel on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ravi -

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ravi, Well if so, then that one has not been reported on, at least not here. Perhaps you can be the first ( chuckle ). Others agreed with Chris regarding the original ones. I believe Chris in Philadelphia was one member who purchased one when they first came out.
Regards,
Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

Gordon, I have taken up your advice and will be taking one for the team! On my inquiry on the floppiness of the new "forte" TI - the response was - "a friend at Thiers Issard told [me]: "We out-Simpsoned Simpsons"".... how French is that?! :lol:
- Ravi -

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ravi, Oh, very. Well, we shall see. Bravo for you!....what a guy! We are awaiting your report Sergeant Tibbs.
Regards,
Gordon
Fido

Post by Fido »

I don't have a TI brush in my collection. I've been thinking about it. Their brushes are said to be completely hand made in France.

[/imgImage[/url]

This looks virtually the same as many other brushes - a Rooney style 3 for example. I've no doubt they are lovely brushes, well made and great performers. But at the prices?
I'll settle for having three Plissons as examples of fine French brush making.

But next time I visit France, I might be tempted to look them up.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Fido, Yeah, when the TI brushes first came out there was some speculation that they were actually made by Rooney, but it was never substantiated. Chris F. seems to think a small lesser known French firm does them for TI, and he's usually pretty knowledgeable in such matters. At first blush I, personally, suspected a German source, but I'm willing to take Chris' educated guess unless we find out otherwise. Aye, they are pricey, no doubt about that.
Regards,
Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

I ordered a 26mm Black Horn Silvertip which came in at about $195 inc. shipping (i.e ex.VAT) to Canada (I might be hit with duty, although sometimes I escape!). I'm not sure what the equivalent Plisson badger grade would be, but prices for a 26 mm in European Grey start at $155 (inc. shipping) to over $500 for a HMW in horn.

So, if the knot is good I don't think its a bad deal for an upper end, hand turned/stuffed brush, with a cool logo of a guy hitting an anvil... comparatively speaking.

Regardless, I have a 7-day return option.
- Ravi -

Blue As A Jewel

I just asked the Vendor from who I purchased the brush the question of who makes the TI brushes for TI and I've been now told that TI does it themselves - "they have a brush maker in Thiers who is doing them especially for Thiers Issard. They deliver all the parts and he is doing all the rest"...

Now I'm very curious....
- Ravi -

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

"...they deliver all the parts..."...umm....in other words it's a pre-made knot? Don't know as I'd care overly for that...not at that price. Personally I'd prefer it if someone else, like Gerson, made the brush but tied off the bristle bundle by hand themselves.
Regards,
Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

bernards66 wrote:"...they deliver all the parts..."...umm....in other words it's a pre-made knot? Don't know as I'd care overly for that...not at that price. Personally I'd prefer it if someone else, like Gerson, made the brush but tied off the bristle bundle by hand themselves.
Regards,
Gordon
The handle does say "Hand Turned & Hand Filled", in this case does hand filled mean setting a pre-made knot into the handle? Perhaps, but I'd like to think not likely - given the price point and especially if they are trying to "out-Simpson Simpsons"... but who knows, these brushmakers are a shady lot mired in marketing garble...
- Ravi -

Blue As A Jewel

...Confirmed they are entirely hand-made -
- Ravi -

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ravi, where did you get your info?
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ravi, Don't buy "hand made"....that is too vague a term. The question is; does the chap they say is actually at T-I sort, bunch, and hand tie the bristle bundle himself? Somehow, I doubt it but I suppose it's possible. They are not a brush maker, this is a decided side bar product with them and I would tend to think that either they would have a brush making firm do the actual work, or they would purchase the components ready made and just have someone to bring them together.
Regards,
Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

bernards66 wrote:Ravi, Don't buy "hand made"....that is too vague a term. The question is; does the chap they say is actually at T-I sort, bunch, and hand tie the bristle bundle himself? Somehow, I doubt it but I suppose it's possible. They are not a brush maker, this is a decided side bar product with them and I would tend to think that either they would have a brush making firm do the actual work, or they would purchase the components ready made and just have someone to bring them together.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, are you suggesting I drank the kool-aid? :shock:
- Ravi -

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ravi, You said it....not I.
Regards,
Gordon
Blue As A Jewel

Received my 26mm Black Horn Silvertip today - absolutely stunning... densely packed, soft tips, with solid horn handle - not hollow like Plisson... so heavy!
- Ravi -

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ravi, Solid horn? I've not seen that....not in any modern brush anyway. Impressive. Any photos?
Regards,
Gordon
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Any further word on the TI brushes? I've gotten interested lately, especially in the "newer," denser ones.
_______
John