Thiers Issard Brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
MichaelS

Post by MichaelS »

Fido wrote:

[/imgImage[/url]

This looks virtually the same as many other brushes - a Rooney style 3 for example.
In addition, mine came in the red box used by Rooney - not that it proves anything of course :)
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

From Raspur.de:
It took Thiers Issard two years to find this badger hair quality.
They are fully handmade in France. This means the hair gets hand selected, formed and bound by hand and put in the handle by hand.
Even the superbadger quality is superb and better than most silvertip.
The handle is inspired by a historical design and made from the same high quality horn as the razor handles too.

Interesting, Michael. So are Rooney handles made in France? :shock: :lol: Or are these folk simply using the same handle design and box manufacturer?
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Thalay Sagar wrote:From Raspur.de:
It took Thiers Issard two years to find this badger hair quality.
They are fully handmade in France. This means the hair gets hand selected, formed and bound by hand and put in the handle by hand.
Even the superbadger quality is superb and better than most silvertip.
The handle is inspired by a historical design and made from the same high quality horn as the razor handles too.

Interesting, Michael. So are Rooney handles made in France? :shock: :lol: Or are these folk simply using the same handle design and box manufacturer?
I think that was added to the brush description following my incessant questioning as to whether these were hand made and to what extent... I can't remember what type of box mine came in... However, in my mind now... Rooney=Willy Wonka...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

The "new" edition of the Thiers Issard silvertip in blonde horn has the same kind of three band badger as the first edition but is filled more densely and is hence stiffer; the loft is also shorter. The badger is of a fine bristle gauge type and fairly soft. My overall impression of this brush isn't that high though. The loft is nothing special an can also be found in....Rooneys (like the handle is a copy of the Rooney Style 3 as said above...) sivertip brushes.... :wink:

Peter
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

They're certainly good looking, especially the handles.
_______
John
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

Being an ironworker and blacksmith I especially like the hammer and anvil on the base!! :wink:
Gary
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

But did you ever see a blacksmith use two hands on his hammer?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Araner

Post by Araner »

drmoss_ca wrote:But did you ever see a blacksmith use two hands on his hammer?

Chris
That's French blacksmith, monami.

Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Peter, Umm....okay...sooo....who do YOU think are actually making these brushes?
Regards,
Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

bernards66 wrote:Peter, Umm....okay...sooo....who do YOU think are actually making these brushes?
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

You can read it in my post...
Peter
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

drP wrote:
bernards66 wrote:Peter, Umm....okay...sooo....who do YOU think are actually making these brushes?
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Peter, by that may I assume you mean the whole brush and niot just the handle?
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

drP wrote:
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Rooney?!
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Thalay Sagar wrote:
drP wrote:
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Peter, by that may I assume you mean the whole brush and niot just the handle?
Yep...
Peter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

"Yep"?....okay then. And so much for all the blather that was feed to Chris then, I suppose. Rather disheartening that so many of these outfits seem to be unwilling to really level with customers/consumers.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Re: Thiers Issard Brushes

Post by Flash G »

I thought I'd bump this thread to see if anyone has used these TI brushes lately :D
Eric
brothers

Post by brothers »

I haven't, but seeing the names of the fellows who were posting here a couple of years ago makes me wish one or all of them would jump back in and post some more. This thread is very interesting, even now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Agreed.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I sprang for the T-I 23mm in super with the dark horn handle to celebrate finishing renovating our bathroom (wife not that impressed with my reasoning). The brush is my first stray away from Vulfix/Simpson as my other badger brushes are a Vulfix #2235 Super, a T2 Super and a Chubby 2 in Best. The handle is a bit heavier than the Vulfix/Simpsons handles and comfortable to use, though a bit slippier when wet. The Brush has similar measurments to the #2235 (23mm knot and 52 mm loft) but is much denser (similar to the Tulip). The brush has a slight pricly sensation on the face and feels quite similar to the hair in the Chubby. I've only used it four times facelathering and it is shaping up nicely. The brush is quite springy and doesn't splay as much as the T2, so it might not be ideal for those who love a good scrubber.

I think it is a beautiful brush and really like the size and density of the knot as I find the T2 to be just on the small side of what I prefer.
Eric
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Eric, Thanks for your impressions. Not that surprising because if the TI number is, in fact, a higher grade Rooney made brush ( and I'll take Peter's word on that ) then, well, those were always very nice shave brushes and many forum members use/have used them and like them.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Yes, I thought I'd get three in one: a French and/or a Sabini and a horn handle brush :)
It's getting softer every time I use it (or am I just getting used to it?) but it doesn't splay much when heavely loaded.
Eric