semogue wins tabac challenge!!!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Porter, I'm going to be interested in your comparison between the Semogue and the Vulfix. Your comments about the 374 are making me curious.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Cicerosecundus

Semogue 2000 and with Tabac

Post by Cicerosecundus »

I also find a Semogue boar brush very satisfactory with Tabac. I very much prefer the 2000 with any soap to the Semogue Owners Club Brush. The 2000 does a better job lathering up Tabac than my far more expensive English brushes made with badger. The Semogue Owners Club Brush does not lather well with anything that I use. Yes, it is broken in with over four months continuous use - until I gave up on it. The 2000 is head and shoulders a better lather producer and yielder than the Owners Club brush. I highly recommend the 2000 with Tabac or other soaps.

Cicerosecundus
stagger

Post by stagger »

Gil, your official announcement is no great surprise to me. The 1305 and Tabac go together like biscuits and gravy. Just works.
Regards,
Mark -
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

where do you purchase this brush?

thanks
randy
randy

woolfat woolster
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

sparkster123 wrote:where do you purchase this brush?

thanks
randy
vintagescent.com
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I'm not sure how I feel about my Semogue brushes anymore. My 2009 is suffering from broken bristles, about 3 per shave, they break off from the dyed stripe and interestingly seem quite weak at that point. Those bristles that come off break quite easily when pulled apart with your fingers like they are rotting/degrading. Otherwise a great brush but I am sick and tired of pulling bristles out of lather. My Semogue 2000 wooden handle has lost a great deal of lacquer, why they can't make a nice faux ivory I do not know. No matter how you coat wood, it will eventually lose the battle with moisture. So I'm back to my Omega Pro now which suffers none of these problems, but I do miss my 2009 special though, that brush feels great.
Richard
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

rustyblade wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about my Semogue brushes anymore. My 2009 is suffering from broken bristles, about 3 per shave, they break off from the dyed stripe and interestingly seem quite weak at that point. Those bristles that come off break quite easily when pulled apart with your fingers like they are rotting/degrading. Otherwise a great brush but I am sick and tired of pulling bristles out of lather. My Semogue 2000 wooden handle has lost a great deal of lacquer, why they can't make a nice faux ivory I do not know. No matter how you coat wood, it will eventually lose the battle with moisture. So I'm back to my Omega Pro now which suffers none of these problems, but I do miss my 2009 special though, that brush feels great.
My Semogue 2000 has also suffered a loss of lacquer and the brush still isn't "broken in". I've not lost any bristles thankfully on any of my semogues so far... overall if I were to keep one it would be the 1305 - I don't know why, but this one just works...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
My Semogue 2000 has also suffered a loss of lacquer and the brush still isn't "broken in". I've not lost any bristles thankfully on any of my semogues so far... overall if I were to keep one it would be the 1305 - I don't know why, but this one just works...
I have the 1305 also and while it is a looker, I like my boars a little beefier. Moo.
Richard
sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

gil3591 wrote:

thanks
randy
vintagescent.com
they are sold out. bummer sounds like a nice fine brush.

thanks again

randy
randy

woolfat woolster
brothers

Post by brothers »

sparkster123 wrote:
gil3591 wrote:

thanks
randy
vintagescent.com
they are sold out. bummer sounds like a nice fine brush.

thanks again

randy
Shaving.ie is also sold out now, probably thanks to this thread! Mine's getting broken in, and I'm not ready to post my opinion yet.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
95%

Post by 95% »

I ordered mine from Fendrihan in Canada, and I can recommend them. Delivery took about 10 days, perhaps because of customs delays. The 1305 is an excellent brush, but like Gary I'm reserving final judgment until it's well broken in.
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just checked Fendrihan and they are in stock, but the stock is low. I agree with Porter about Fendrihan being a vendor I would recommend to anyone.
Gary

changabang

Post by changabang »

Yes, Fendrihan is where I bought my 1305 also. As for my boars, the Semogue and the Omega 11126 are running neck and neck. To me, they have similar backbone and feel in the tips. Both excel in soap lathering, but I've learned that black badger is better for creams. Of the badger grades, I'm content with the "pure".
James Nicks
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Used a Semogue 620 with Tabac for last night's shave, stellar. This Semogue is the only boar Ive used that might get as much use as my go to badger brushes. Hope it stays together without losing too many hairs, the one set back to boars imo.