Bet your brush doesn't plug into the wall.....

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Ohhhhhh...a latherizer...humina humina. I almost bought one before I got my first badger brush. I still think about getting one, because although the brush gives me a reasonable experience, there's nothing like getting consistant, hot lather with a minimum of fuss. ...mmmmmm....

--Mark
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Awesome setup you got there Joel!!! Thanks for the pics.

Vince
:::Vince:::
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Joel,

Holy Cow!!! That sure is one impressive shaving arsenal!!!

I can see how tuff it might be squeezing in that many new additions..hehe.

On a personal level, I'm curious...what school do you go to? What are you studying?

Vince
Johnnie
Shave This

Wow

Post by Johnnie »

Holy crap! You are serious about your shaving. All I have is a Mach3 and some gillette gel. I need to get with the program.
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Johnnie,

I highly recommend that you invest in a pure badger shaving brush and some sort of fine shaving cream or shaving soap. You will not regret it since a good brush can easily last 20 years and a bar of shaving soap will last a good 6 months with everyday use.

Vince
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Johnnie-- I agree with Vince; a decent shaving brush and some good creams or soaps will make a night-and-day difference.

If you live in a halfway decent sized city, you can probably find an inexpensive boar brush (~$5-10) and a cake of Williams shaving soap (~$1). Just using those two things will give you a "taste of things to come"--you'll see a difference over what you're doing now. Meanwhile, email Trumper (www.trumpers.com), Truefitt & Hill (www.truefittandhill.com), and Art of Shaving (www.artofshaving.com) and ask for free samples of their shave creams...they'll happily send them out to you. At the same time start shopping for a badger brush...I recommend a pure badger at least 4 inches tall. If you can afford better quality, fine.

--Mark
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Joel's set-up

Post by qed-usa »

Hey, Joel -

Even I'm impressed, and my bathroom looks like a small retail shop!

Charles
Q E D
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

All I can say is Wow Joel. If I were to only acquire a fraction of the shaving items you have I'd feel like a rich man :-)

Coool...Chico State...I hear that's one helluva party school!
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Joel,

Hehe...good point and a very good question. I just don't feel I'm ready yet to tackle the challenges of stropping and honing. I think the urge to "go straight" will overcome me soon though. I'll try my best to hold out til Xmas so I can save up and then invest in a super high quality blade/handle. I'll be sure to hit you all up for recommendations once that time approaches.

Vince
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Cool Joel. Thanks for the advice. Does Lynn have some sort of online catalogue or will he just order direct for me from a mfg. like Dovo and hone it before he ships it?

Vince
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Ah..again. Thanks for all the info Joel. I'll browse around and see if anything catches my eye ;-)
Evan

Post by Evan »

Hey Joel,

I'm thinking of buying a Latherking, and I was wondering if you could only use the Campbell's Shave Cream with it? Or are there other mixtures with different scents that you can use? Also..how does the stuff smell without adding any kind of scent? Thanks

Evan
Evan

Post by Evan »

You out there, Joel?

Evan
Evan

Post by Evan »

Joel wrote:BTW, you can use other creams with the latherking, right now I am using a mix of Musgo and proraso. Also, if you add a splash of your favorite aftershave into the lather cup, it will make the lather smell like the aftershave. My musgo/proraso mix right now has a shot of Florida Water added to it, so it is proraso/musgo but smells like florida water.
Interesting. Do you have to add water to this mixture, or just the cream alone? If you have to add water, how do you know how much to add? Thanks

Evan