New Forest 2211 brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
ATLpr8head

New Forest 2211 brush

Post by ATLpr8head »

After following these brushes for a while and trying my hardest to stay away from the first 2201 I decided to pull the trigger on this brush. The price was $57 shipped which was a no brainer for this quality of brush. I will say that I ordered before any reviews were written about it which is usually not the norm for me. Needless to say I am glad I did.

My brush preferences have changed through the years and I think I finally found exactly what I am looking in brush quality. Enough loft to bowl lather, enough backbone to face lather and get into hard soap easily, so too dense(chubby dense), but not floppy either. I have certain brushes for each type of lathering I do. Now I have the perfect.....yes PERFECT type brush. That meaning the dimensions of this particular brush are perfect for me :D

Specification (approx.)

Handle 50 mm
Loft 48 mm
Knot 22 mm

Before I got this brush I was usually gravitating towards my Simpson Colonel X2L and strictly face lathering(creams and soaps). I did find the density perfect but the loft was a tad too short for bowl lathering. The handle I will say was perfect though! I was going to compare this brush to others (Shavemac #177 21mm, Savile Row 3821, Rooney 3/1, Simpson T2 and Colonel). I decided not to because all those brushes are great but each brush has its pros and cons and I'd rather focus on just 1 brush.

I know this brush has created a stir and much negative publicity recently and even is unmentionable on sites. I disregarded all views and pulled the trigger and very happy I did. I can honestly say that if I was stuck to choose just 1 brush this would be it. Very ballsy to state especially after only 2 weeks but its true. The brush quality is equal to many high end brushes and I feel it trumps a couple brushes $100+ and even one that I paid $175 for. Hypothetically speaking, if Simpson dropped this identical knot into one of its brushes and charged $140 it would receive rave reviews without a question of origin or quality of the knot. The handle still says Simpson:) Bottom line......a great brush at a phenomenal price! I am looking forward to Peter's next brush to be released in 2011. I think it will be a success as well. I would like to personally thank Peter for the opportunity for the general public to obtain such a luxurious brush for such a great price.

This picture is better viewed on Peter's blog but does show the comparison to other brushes very similiar to it.

Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I purchased the 2211 recently and used it yesterday for the first time. It is quite the performer at an excellent price point, suitable for both novice and experienced users in my opinion. The only thing I wasn't fond of was the colour of the handle - mine was a "dirty" beige. The classic cream colour would have been better -
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

is better viewed on Peter's blog
pardon ignorance but who is peter?

clive

p.s. enjoy your new brush
de gustibus non est disputandum
Blue As A Jewel

fallingwickets wrote:
is better viewed on Peter's blog
pardon ignorance but who is peter?

clive

p.s. enjoy your new brush
Peter=Fido (SMF member)
- Ravi -

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks
de gustibus non est disputandum
moz68

Post by moz68 »

I love Mine! I am new just started in July and own the New Forest 2201 and 2211 my knowledge in brushes are next to none but if what I have been reading about them is true I am very happy with my purchases. To me they both are awesome and perform superbly. I love the prices of the New Forest line and am a Big Fan of them and am also looking forward to the release of the 2221 due to come out in 2011.

Thanks Peter/Fido for your line of New Forest brushes.
Blue As A Jewel

What's the 2221 envisioned to be?
- Ravi -

moz68

Post by moz68 »

Another Awesome Brush!!! Check his Blog.
Fido

Post by Fido »

The New Forest High Mountain Badger 2221 will be the next New Forest Brush to be released early in 2011. Samples are presently being tested. The hair is in short supply so it will be made in limited numbers. The hair is a long finest silvertip from a rare breed of badger found only in remote mountainous areas. It will be a fan shape 22 mm knot with a 47 mm loft.
featherman

Post by featherman »

Fido wrote:The New Forest High Mountain Badger 2221 will be the next New Forest Brush to be released early in 2011. Samples are presently being tested. The hair is in short supply so it will be made in limited numbers. The hair is a long finest silvertip from a rare breed of badger found only in remote mountainous areas. It will be a fan shape 22 mm knot with a 47 mm loft.
Hi,

I am considering to buy a new forest brush but for me its a nono to kill rare species so I will pass on that one.
Crag

Post by Crag »

featherman wrote:
Fido wrote:The New Forest High Mountain Badger 2221 will be the next New Forest Brush to be released early in 2011. Samples are presently being tested. The hair is in short supply so it will be made in limited numbers. The hair is a long finest silvertip from a rare breed of badger found only in remote mountainous areas. It will be a fan shape 22 mm knot with a 47 mm loft.
Hi,

I am considering to buy a new Forest brush but for me its a nono to kill rare species so I will pass on that one.
I believe the new hair will come from a viable species and is completely sustainable. Most likely from the black and white honey badger, though I may be mistaken.
Matt

"The 'Path of least resistance' is what makes rivers and Men crooked."
--Ezra Taft Benson