Disappointed with Vulfix Picadilly

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
gdc

Disappointed with Vulfix Picadilly

Post by gdc »

Gents, a while back I bought a Vulfix Picadilly from Connaught http://connaughtshaving.com/piccadilly.html to use as a travel brush, and I have found it disappointing - not much backbone, rather thin lather and too scratchy.

I am a face latherer, mostly creams, some sticks.

Now, I was not expecting the results of my Rooney silvertip medium Style 1, but I was expecting more than I got.

I'm keen to try boar again, and would appreciate any recommendations people may have, particularly if they are small (I like to travel as light as possible). I'm thinking Omega this time, perhaps http://connaughtshaving.com/21047.html?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

the only comment i can make to you is that....

ATFER YOU HAVE A ROONEY,,NOTHING ELSE CAN COME CLOSE..

just get a 1/1 in silvertip,,,

marc
gdc

Post by gdc »

Fair point, and you have already anticipated my Plan B, but surely the boar experts here can point me in the direction of something better than the Piccadilly for consideration?
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

If you like it with backboone:Semogue 620,1438 or 1520.
If you like it with less backbone but super soft tips,Semogue 1470.
I havent tried Omegas with less than 22mm knot but I can tell you that the Omega 80265 is a superb brush.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Personally I think you should just follow Marc's advice. I used an Omega boar for a month straight, and while it 'worked', it didn't work as well as any of my badger brushes ( which vary considerably in price ). The results I was getting were not dissimiliar to what you describe minus the 'sctichy' aspect. I used boar brushes exclusively for years, but once I got my first badger, well, that was that.
Regards,
Gordon
drumana

Post by drumana »

How about a Simpson Wee Scott? Doesn't get smaller and the word on the street is that it's a worthy performer.

Aside from that, in the boar range, I'd recommend Vulfix 374. It's a smaller brush and performs nicely.
-Andrew-
95%

Post by 95% »

Andrew - I agree about the Vulfix 374 boar. It's my favorite brush, with extremely soft tips yet sufficient backbone. Though small, it holds enough lather for three passes, and it is made with care.

I was tempted by the Wee Scot but not encouraged by the reviews in this forum. There's an old Wee Scot thread that's worth hunting down.
Porter
changabang

Post by changabang »

I'm kind of liking my Vulfix "Hyde Park" boar. It's small, but it seems to have some backbone, and I don't get that scritchy feeling. (Or maybe I'm just too used to it). I prefer a larger handle (but I don't travel), so my current boar favorite is the Omega 11126.
James Nicks
druphus

Post by druphus »

The Omega 21047 is a great little brush (21mm knot/44mm loft) that will fit in an empty pill bottle. Highly recommended for travel.
Regards,
Andy
changabang

Post by changabang »

Yeah, I would think the same. I have the Omega 40033, which seems to be its cheaper equivalent, and for a compact brush, it gets the job done. Though the handle is too small for my taste, it would be a good traveler.
James Nicks
Greenhouse

Post by Greenhouse »

Marc / Gordon:

Forgive my ignorance, but is the Rooney 1/1 = Rooney Style 1, Small?

Greenhouse
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Greenhouse wrote:Marc / Gordon:

Forgive my ignorance, but is the Rooney 1/1 = Rooney Style 1, Small?

Greenhouse
Sorry, I'm neither marc or Gordon, but... Yep
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
gdc

Post by gdc »

druphus wrote:The Omega 21047 is a great little brush (21mm knot/44mm loft) that will fit in an empty pill bottle. Highly recommended for travel.
Thanks for this, that is exactly what I was wondering, so I'm going to try the 21047.

If it doesn't work out then I'll just have to get a Rooney 1,1...
infabo

Re: Disappointed with Vulfix Picadilly

Post by infabo »

gdc wrote:Gents, a while back I bought a Vulfix Picadilly from Connaught http://connaughtshaving.com/piccadilly.html to use as a travel brush, and I have found it disappointing - not much backbone, rather thin lather and too scratchy.

I am a face latherer, mostly creams, some sticks.
I don't know what you did wrong, maybe not soaking the brush before shaving, or or or
I own this particular brush, the Vulfix Piccadilly pure bristle, and i highly prefer it over my Omega 31064.
The tips werent scratchy at any time, if though, after a few uses the tips get split and there you go. This brush is very soft and from the backbone side, it is typically boar "flexible". The lather It makes is very good and slick, though not much in quantity (due to the smaller knot) - but it is plenty enough for 2 passes. Yes, my bigger badger brushes produce lather for maybe 3 or 4 passes easily, but hey, this is a boar brush for 12 pound sterling! Not a super-expensive silvertip-badger or anything. And btw, where elsewhere do you get such a well, high quality manufactured handle at this pricepoint like this one? I am a face latherer too - and I love this brush.