Morris&Forndran

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Morris&Forndran

Post by drP »

First let me make a short introduction. For a few months i had been following a thread about M&F blonde badger brushes on the other board until i decided to contact Lee Sabini about these brushes. I ordered three, with knot diameters of 24 mm, 26 mm with a resin handle and one horn handled with a 28 mm knot.
As you might know Lee left the Rooney firm as managing director to somebody else, bought the M&F brand together with its inventory and started making his own brushes under the M&F label. At least, that's how i've understood it...

The resin of the handles has a white porcelain color which gives the handle a nice elegant look. The horn is natural with a beautiful pattern.

As for the badger type Lee uses: it's a two band variety and he names it "blonde badger". Just his way to classify it, no more no less, just like silvertip has no official status.

I used them all three and i must say Lee did a wonderful job with these "blonde badger" brushes. The bristles have a lot of resiliency and the tips are very soft. The density of the loft is good, not too less to make it floppy and not too much to make it a lather hog. Making a lather with these is as easy as a child's play...
The one thing that really struck me is the feeling of the bristle tips: they are not only soft, but they're feeling "smooth" too...rather difficult to express it, got to feel it yourself.
Lee can make almost every brush you'd like, with knots from 22 mm up to 30 mm or perhaps even more...

I think that the Morris&Forndran brushes are a nice addition to the existing brands on the current market. I intend to purchase more of these in the near future. The so called "blonde badger" is very attractive to see and to use in daily shaving. Just the right combination of density, flex and softness. A very optimal mix of the right brush properties imo...

The most remarkable thing of the M&F brushes however is that they have a very discerning quality-price ratio compared to other brands which give the same values in terms of brush properties.
Question is wether this shall remain after they're becoming more and more popular...
If you want one of these M&F's you've got to contact Lee per email. No website yet, although i've understood Lee is intending to start his website in the next coming months.

Peter
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Peter. Use in good health.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

from the pictures they are impressive looking
and i like the handle design so much

marc
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Very nice looking. Mr Sabini can source some good hair as used in the Apothecary Shoppe brushes and the Rooney finest. Pity about the font used on the handle though!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
paddy

Post by paddy »

the horn one looks lovely.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
jss

Post by jss »

Thanks for the intel drP....

drmoss_ca wrote:Very nice looking. Mr Sabini can source some good hair as used in the Apothecary Shoppe brushes and the Rooney finest. Pity about the font used on the handle though!

Chris

I respectfully agree with Chris about the font....

Julian
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's time the Blonde Badgers recieved recognition.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i like these brushes and even the font

hope gil orders one so i can buy his after a day or two

marc

could not resist that
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

The white handled brushes are of similar design as of the Rooney's which I like, and I think the knots look great!

My only question though, are THESE brushes actually made by hand? :lol:
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

drmoss_ca wrote: Pity about the font used on the handle though!
I quite like the font. Distinctive, unique and classy. A good touch to a great brush. I'll second Peter's observations on the hair and add the build quality is top notch. I like mine (very similar to Peter's horn model) very much!

As to hand made, I really have no idea but Lee says they are and I tend to believe him. Through conversations, I get the sense he definitely knows what he's talking about and gives confidence/credence to this claim.

Ken
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

so how does one order these babies???

marc
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

drmoss_ca wrote:Image
I take your point, Chris, but to me, it's more of a script font. YMMV thing I guess.

Ken

(if it's any consolation, Lee tried a couple other logos that were, to me MUCH worse lol - you could probably get one of those. Might be more up your ally? Lol)
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I've had a M&F black horn brush for about 2 years now. Lee had asked me if I wanted one and showed me pictures of it. It looked great and so I ordered it from him. Mine has bristle identical to the Emillion type but with a little more loft and more dense. I think it's a 24 or 26 mm knot. It is 3 band though, but it is one of my favourite brushes. The bristle is soft but yet very sturdy and is similar in feel to a Chubby 2 brush. I might have to contact Lee after seeing your 2 band blondes Peter. Nice looking brushes and I can vouch that the quality is top notch.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Peter, Most interesting. The bristle reminds me a bit of that which was used in those few 'Old Apothacary' models, one of which I have. The original few had bristle that had a rosy blondish tint to the tips. Personally, these two handle styles are totally up my alley and while I might have prefered a different labeling style, I have no significent problem with the one chosen. I say though, was not 'Morris & Forndran' one of those tiny brush making companies that Lee absorbed at the time that he rejuvenated RA Rooney? And out of curiosity, does he have any real connection with Rooney anymore?
Regards,
Gordon
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bernards66 wrote: I say though, was not 'Morris & Forndran' one of those tiny brush making companies that Lee absorbed at the time that he rejuvenated RA Rooney?
That's correct, Gordon. Then he bought the brand from Rooney.
bernards66 wrote:And out of curiosity, does he have any real connection with Rooney anymore?
At this point I think they are severed but he still talks to the folks over there quite a bit.

Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Interesting. Who then is the actual 'head' of RA Rooney today? Kind of surprising considering all the effort he put into resuscitating the firm in the first place.
Regards,
Gordon
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

Does anyone have a contact email or mailing address for R A Rooney please?

A PM will be sufficient, thanks.
bernards66 wrote:Ken, Interesting. Who then is the actual 'head' of RA Rooney today? Kind of surprising considering all the effort he put into resuscitating the firm in the first place.
Regards,
Gordon
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Vulfix Old Original wrote:Does anyone have a contact email or mailing address for R A Rooney please?

A PM will be sufficient, thanks.
bernards66 wrote:Ken, Interesting. Who then is the actual 'head' of RA Rooney today? Kind of surprising considering all the effort he put into resuscitating the firm in the first place.
Regards,
Gordon
Merger? Acquisition? Hostile Takeover? :lol: :lol:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Regards,
Gordon
If I understand correctly, Lee trained the guy who is taking his place. Actual ownership hasn't changed. He never "owned" it. He was brought in for a short term gig to straighten it out, and feels he's done so at this point. So it was time for him to move on.

Ken
iKon OSS, Med Preps, MdC AOS ASB..... Perfection!