Morris&Forndran

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: Morris&Forndran

Post by TRBeck »

Zeth, YGPM
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
divotmax2

Post by divotmax2 »

Just curious. How come ordering M&F brushes is such a secret? One would think the ordering address would be posted somewhere instead of having to have the password provided by someone. Someone also mentioned a catalog; is there such a thing?
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

ZethLent wrote:If someone would be so kind as to send me the contact email to order a M&F, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
You have PM.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

divotmax2 wrote:Just curious. How come ordering M&F brushes is such a secret? One would think the ordering address would be posted somewhere instead of having to have the password provided by someone. Someone also mentioned a catalog; is there such a thing?
Lee Sabini started/resurrected the M&F brand a few years ago while serving as director of Rooney, a position in which I believe he still serves. The M&F brush line allows him to do more special handle materials, more variety in knots, and more "premium" types of badger than the Rooney line does, and I'm guessing he prefers to keep it a bespoke business so that he can choose how much time to devote to it. He has no vendors to keep happy, and he can respond to customers' e-mails on his schedule. Sometimes you'll read complaints that he doesn't reply immediately or doesn't reply at all to requests for brushes, and I imagine that it has to do with his wanting to keep the time commitment somewhat manageable. That said, he does eventually respond and makes very good brushes. He also sells them far more inexpensively than he could if they were sold through third-party channels.

As far as catalog, I think threads on the forums are the catalog. There's no formal listing, but if you e-mail him, he will let you know what rod stock he has on hand, what hair, etc. Sometimes he'll have a very unique brush that's already formed and awaiting a customer; other times you can request something, but it may take longer to get to you in that case. In general, he seems to like working with handle materials other than the standard white/ivory/ebony resins. But he has made me several brushes with "traditional" handles and materials. OTOH, you can find pictures of all sorts of handles all over the web, and there are some cool, distinct options to be sure.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

TRBeck wrote:Zeth, YGPM
SharpSpine wrote:
ZethLent wrote:If someone would be so kind as to send me the contact email to order a M&F, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
You have PM.
LOL, I was only a couple days late. :D
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
divotmax2

Post by divotmax2 »

Tim; Thanks very much for the information; that all makes sense and I guess it's good that Mr. Sabini is able to control how busy he wants to be and how he wants to manage the business. A daunting task these days.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I had a transaction with Mr. Sabini about a year and a half ago, that ended up unexpectedly placing into my hands the best brush I'll ever own. His concept of customer service is truly outstanding. My brush is a treasure to me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've had very positive dealings with Lee. That was some years ago and I don't know what he's up to now but he did right by me.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

He's currently having fits trying to finish up a big custom group-buy project for B&B. The brush looks like a winner, but his one-man-shop operation is grinding him, and the natives are restless. I'd love to get this brush, with a couple of mods, after the hubbub dies down, but don't know if it will remain available or if he'll even want to see another for quite a while.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ron, I sure hope none of those guys ends up losing their cool. He's not someone who would intentionally disregard his responsibilities, and hopefully they'll all remain calm until the project reaches fruition.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

No blow-ups, but I feel their pain. Building 100 such brushes from scratch is really pushing it, on top of LS fulfilling already standing orders. Delays were preordained, though the concept was brilliant. In the end, though, I think those on the receiving end will be very satisfied. I hope Mr. Sabini survives intact. For myself, I wouldn't dream of contacting him any time soon.
Ron
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

We share family stories. No problem contacting Lee. You pay and let it go. He always comes through. Time means little. A fine man and wonderful brush maker. He knows his business.

Max
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Max, my notion of "any time soon" is maybe a month after his current project is complete. I'll put out a feeler and, as you suggest, let it go.
Ron