Visit to Vulfix/Simpson

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

The "Ward" is indeed a classy looking handle. Great find!
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
RetroGrouch

Post by RetroGrouch »

Gary Young wrote:
RetroGrouch wrote:
Gary Young wrote:Suffice to say that if anyone wants any historical info on Simpson, brush making info, brushes dated, etc this is the forum to ask me any questions.
Gary,

Seeing as you asked... ;)

Do you know the story behind this brush? W2? I've always wondered what the W stood for and when it was made. (I call him "Ward".)

It's a very comfortable handle and I love its simple design.

(I've since re-knotted it and returned it to its owner, who had obviously neglected it for years.)

Mike

I certainly do! So you call it the 'Ward'?!? Now I think you should seriously consider putting some money on a horse as it appears that you have an element of prediction in your genes.
We had a family who worked for us over many many years - 3 members of the family in the end. Their surname was 'Ward'. As said previously, all the brush names were thought up by our family or staff who worked for us....

The brush is post 1960. Probably 1960-1970, the one you have.

You have your answer my friend! Now may I ask you to think of 6 numbers between 1 - 49 and discreetly drop me a PM? The UK Lottery falls every Saturday and I still have time to buy a ticket!! :wink:

Gary
Gary,

Holy cow, what are the odds? That's almost spooky.

"Ward" he remains. Thanks so much for the info.

Mike
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

RetroGrouch wrote:
Gary Young wrote:
RetroGrouch wrote: Gary,

Seeing as you asked... ;)

Do you know the story behind this brush? W2? I've always wondered what the W stood for and when it was made. (I call him "Ward".)

It's a very comfortable handle and I love its simple design.

(I've since re-knotted it and returned it to its owner, who had obviously neglected it for years.)

Mike

I certainly do! So you call it the 'Ward'?!? Now I think you should seriously consider putting some money on a horse as it appears that you have an element of prediction in your genes.
We had a family who worked for us over many many years - 3 members of the family in the end. Their surname was 'Ward'. As said previously, all the brush names were thought up by our family or staff who worked for us....

The brush is post 1960. Probably 1960-1970, the one you have.

You have your answer my friend! Now may I ask you to think of 6 numbers between 1 - 49 and discreetly drop me a PM? The UK Lottery falls every Saturday and I still have time to buy a ticket!! :wink:

Gary
Gary,

Holy cow, what are the odds? That's almost spooky.

"Ward" he remains. Thanks so much for the info.

Mike
The odds are way out there! So where's those lottery numbers then?!?!

Gary
Gary
OldSaw

Post by OldSaw »

I'm just curious, how long does it take to make a prototype versus a production brush? When I worked in a machine shop I know the machinists could probably turn a handle in just a few minutes. Polishing and stamping would obviously add some more time. I have no idea how much time goes into the knot.
Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather

Dennis
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

OldSaw wrote:I'm just curious, how long does it take to make a prototype versus a production brush? When I worked in a machine shop I know the machinists could probably turn a handle in just a few minutes. Polishing and stamping would obviously add some more time. I have no idea how much time goes into the knot.
If I was there to turn the handle then not very long. Please remember that this is a brush which has not been made for many years. There are only 3 people alive who have any experience of making this brush previously.
Also please remember that the original thread by Mark on the other forum was an 'expression of interest' thread, not a 'we have a brush ready' thread.
This first brush is very important and has to be absolutely right. I am sure if a 'half cocked' effort was shown it would be ripped apart by critics and thus put an end to any further 'old originals' being seen again. I hope you understand that we both have a life outside of the brush making world and have commitments to our families before any brush project. Things crop up that can delay things. I for one have a mother-in-law who has just been hospitalised with bronchial pneumonia. I hope you understand where my commitment lies at the moment - with my wife and family.
Sure if money had passed hands then yes quite rightly you would be in a position to 'chase' the prototype but as I understand it no monetary commitments have been made?
The prototype will be released soon. I trust that you can now understand.

Gary
Gary
OldSaw

Post by OldSaw »

Gary Young wrote:
OldSaw wrote:I'm just curious, how long does it take to make a prototype versus a production brush? When I worked in a machine shop I know the machinists could probably turn a handle in just a few minutes. Polishing and stamping would obviously add some more time. I have no idea how much time goes into the knot.
If I was there to turn the handle then not very long. Please remember that this is a brush which has not been made for many years. There are only 3 people alive who have any experience of making this brush previously.
Also please remember that the original thread by Mark on the other forum was an 'expression of interest' thread, not a 'we have a brush ready' thread.
This first brush is very important and has to be absolutely right. I am sure if a 'half cocked' effort was shown it would be ripped apart by critics and thus put an end to any further 'old originals' being seen again. I hope you understand that we both have a life outside of the brush making world and have commitments to our families before any brush project. Things crop up that can delay things. I for one have a mother-in-law who has just been hospitalised with bronchial pneumonia. I hope you understand where my commitment lies at the moment - with my wife and family.
Sure if money had passed hands then yes quite rightly you would be in a position to 'chase' the prototype but as I understand it no monetary commitments have been made?

Gary
Okee dokee. Have a blessed Easter and sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, I pray for a speedy recovery.
Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather

Dennis
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

OldSaw wrote:
Gary Young wrote:

Gary
Okee dokee. Have a blessed Easter and sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, I pray for a speedy recovery.
Dennis

Many thanks for the kind words

Gary
Gary
SliceOfLife

Post by SliceOfLife »

You can't run down to a hand lathe in your basement and turn the prototype handle for them? Don't worry about what to do with it if the model gets slightly changed to suit the autolathes, I'll buy that one. : :lol:

Seriously though, best wishes to you and your family.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

SliceOfLife wrote:You can't run down to a hand lathe in your basement and turn the prototype handle for them? Don't worry about what to do with it if the model gets slightly changed to suit the autolathes, I'll buy that one. : :lol:

Seriously though, best wishes to you and your family.
Thanks for the kind words! Mother-in-Law is back home after being pumped with antibiotics. She is a nurse so doesn't like hospitals so I think she is glad to be back home! She is still not well but getting there.

Oh and by the way, I don't have a basement!!! I can turn the handle in a few minutes but it wouldn't help the guys on the IOM with the other LE handles they have to make (hopefully there will be others!!)

Cheers

Gary
Gary
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Gary Young wrote:
Oh and by the way, I don't have a basement!!!
No basement here either. In fact, hardly anybody in southern California has a basement. What on earth were the architects thinking? Where is the ping pong table supposed to go?
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

BullGoose wrote:
Gary Young wrote:
Oh and by the way, I don't have a basement!!!
No basement here either. In fact, hardly anybody in southern California has a basement. What on earth were the architects thinking? Where is the ping pong table supposed to go?
True! Well mine goes in the 'leisure wing' of Young Towers, along with the 3 lane bowling alley, pool pit and 50 seat cinema.......! :lol:
Gary