Horse Hair Brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rbaloha

Horse Hair Brush

Post by rbaloha »

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/vi13hohashbr1.html

Anyone used this brush or similar on hard soaps? Please advise.
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Actually I got that brush a week or so ago and have used it a couple of times. It is pretty soft on the face and has enough backbone to work well with soaps. It doesn't hold water as much as badger, so I add a couple of dribbles now and then when lathering. I usually face lather and it has worked very well for that, as well as makes a nice lather in a bowl. It has only lost a couple of bristles with vigorous shaking and drying. I've been very pleased with the brush, and it was one of those nice little surprises like using a well broken-in boar brush.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
malocchio

caballo

Post by malocchio »

I have 5 vie-long horse hair brushes...all work well with any cream or soap...the difference will be in how much or how little water you have added , how many rpm's you put into it , and the size of the horse hair knot...18mm - 19mm horse hair knots are great for travel , but they have a tougher time whipping up that mound of lather...the 23mm vie-longs,with any handle,are the best horse hair brushes made...they work with anything you dip them in...
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

I got my ordered 13061 today. Wow...

What a gorgeous brush. The tips seem to be really soft. After soaking it for two hours in hot water I testlathered it and got LOTS of very very good, dense, slick lather! After a thorough rinse I soaked it for another 30 minutes. Then I applied La Toja directly to my stubbles and facelathered with the well soaked "Zurito" and the La Toja immediately produced great lather. After I had finished after two passes, i squeezed out the rest of the lather and it would have been enough for a third pass. This was the first shave with the "Zurito" which was already great and taking into account that it will still improve within the first couple of shaves I ask myself, why I have been waiting so long to get this great brush...

The feeling I had during facelathering was totally differnt to the feeling one has during facelathering with a new boar brush. Whilst the horse brush ist ultra soft in the tips, the shaft is much stiffer compared to the bristles of a boar brush. Boar bristles seem to be softer over the whole length. As far as I know the horse bristles will become softer after they're broken in, worked-in. My first experiences with horse brush seem to follow logically based expectations :lol:
fishgutmartyr

Post by fishgutmartyr »

I have this particular model, and it suits me perfectly. It feels comfortable in my hand, and is a nice size for face-lathering. Plus it seems to play very nicely with the soaps I prefer (Cella, Kabinett).
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

I have the V-L 12601; it's a smaller brush.

I >heart< my horsie! 'Nuff said?

I use soaps and creams as the mood takes me. The brush works beautifully with either of these. Good backbone but surprisingly soft. The appearance makes one think it'll be a corn broom but oh my, it is not!

Lately I have to remind myself that I have pure badger and pure hog bristle brushes as well. Yes, I'd recommend getting a horse to anyone!
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

Odio Barbillas wrote:I have the V-L 12601; it's a smaller brush.

I >heart< my horsie! 'Nuff said?

I use soaps and creams as the mood takes me. The brush works beautifully with either of these. Good backbone but surprisingly soft. The appearance makes one think it'll be a corn broom but oh my, it is not!

Lately I have to remind myself that I have pure badger and pure hog bristle brushes as well. Yes, I'd recommend getting a horse to anyone!
I believe the true and correct standard for shaving brushes is badger thank you very much !
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by brothers »

Dave, the standard for brushes, according to my judgment, is whether they make me happy in use. It's a fact that I've been both pleased and disappointed by brushes in all catagories, horse, boar, or badger. As you have observed, there is an unwritten mandate, or at least a strong suggestion, that we prefer anything badger over anything not badger. :wink:

Having said that, I have one boar and one horse brush that I use regularly, but I have 5 badger brushes that I use regularly, and enjoy using very much. The evidence seems to indicate clearly that badger hair is more naturally suitable for shaving brushes, by a wide margin.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Lord Ponsenberry Smyth wrote:I believe the true and correct standard for shaving brushes is badger thank you very much !
You're welcome very much.

If it feels good to me, it's "right".
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
DEF

Post by DEF »

Odio Barbillas wrote:
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth wrote:I believe the true and correct standard for shaving brushes is badger thank you very much !
You're welcome very much.

If it feels good to me, it's "right".
It's like the 1950s versus the 1970s!
Doug
malocchio

horse

Post by malocchio »

this was my first horse hair brush...the construction and quality is first rate....I sold this brush and bought 5 more vie-longs ,2 barber pro "extra" models and three 23mm brushes,all horse hair...the 19-21 mm knots in horsehair are better suited for creams,although with the proper amount of rpms ,and correct water/soap ratio ,you can achieve a fine lather...if your goal is to use it solo for hard soaps and/or travel , a black badger with a dense knot is preferable...the 23mm horse hair knots by vie-long of spain can compete with any other brush in the same price range or even more expensive...IMHO I would say that dollar for dollar ,the vie-long horse brushes are the quality equivelent of the badger omega italian brushes,which are also a real dollar value for the quality you get..
Gifts&Care.com

Post by Gifts&Care.com »

There’s an additional feature that I always like to point out about the horse shaving brushes, it doesn’t have anything to do with brush performance but is the fact horses are not harm during the collection process. Cutting the horse hair is just part of the animal care.
http://www.giftsandcare.com
Epsilon,Vie-Long,Saponificio,Razo Rock,Acca Kappa,La Toja,Floid,Myrsol,Mühle,444,Mondial,Semogue, T.O.B.S, M.W.F,Truefitt&Hill...and much more!
SMF Coupon Discount: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50283
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Outrageous Gentlemen !

Next some of you will be suggesting that the correct and proper soaps and creams are those not manufactured in the UK !!!

Post by brothers »

Lord Ponsenberry Smyth wrote:Outrageous Gentlemen !

Next some of you will be suggesting that the correct and proper soaps and creams are those not manufactured in the UK !!!
The coolest part is that we each get to decide for ourselves which (on any given day) is correct and proper! When I'm deciding those weighty questions, I seldom remember where the product was made, if I ever knew to start with! All I know for sure is, I didn't make it! :roll:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

brothers wrote:

The coolest part is that we each get to decide for ourselves which (on any given day) is correct and proper! When I'm deciding those weighty questions, I seldom remember where the product was made, if I ever knew to start with! All I know for sure is, I didn't make it! :roll:
My Dear Sir,
I think some one like Gordon should have a word to you regarding such misplaced, nay, delusionary ideas.

Suggesting anything other than a British made soap, cream or badger brush could possibly excel at their designed task and displace the aforementioned is in some circles considered to be an affront to all that is righteous, correct and dignified.

I think I'm correct in saying most well educated people are of the opinion that British made shaving products are superior and set the standards by which others should be judged.

Remember my dear fellow, it is imperative to have standards - and maintain them !

Post by Gweezemeister »

Horse hair does produce a rich soap lather. They are making quite the comeback as of late.
Andy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Lord Ponsenberry Smyth wrote:
brothers wrote:

My Dear Sir,
I think some one like Gordon should have a word to you regarding such misplaced, nay, delusionary ideas.

Suggesting anything other than a British made soap, cream or badger brush could possibly excel at their designed task and displace the aforementioned is in some circles considered to be an affront to all that is righteous, correct and dignified.

I think I'm correct in saying most well educated people are of the opinion that British made shaving products are superior and set the standards by which others should be judged.

Remember my dear fellow, it is imperative to have standards - and maintain them !
I find myself duty-bound to point out that the good Lord's tag line advocates the use of French and Italian soaps and ignores the merit of the wonderful shaving products of Great Britain --- see below.
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth wrote:David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?