Bidding a fond farewell!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Gary Young

Bidding a fond farewell!

Post by Gary Young »

Guys

I am heading away from the world of shaving internet forums.
I have not spent as much time on here as I should but there some great members of here and I wish everyone all the very best for the future.
When I joined the forums back in December I never realised how much interest there was in all things Simpson.
I really do appreciate all the messages from here since joining. I have enjoyed the debates (well most of them!! :lol: )
Nothing that has happened here has caused me to make this decision-I want to make that crystal! It just seems that my presence causes issues for others which is not something I think is very fair (not on here but in the shaving internet world in general).
You all know my love for Simpson and if any of you want to contact me away from the forums regarding historical info, etc please feel free. I have offered to help with Simpson historical info on here - that still stands. The guys on here are very learned and have gained incredible knowledge through a heck of a lot of self-learning. I am lucky to have come from a line of brush makers and had all my knowledge passed on from some amazing people who I am very proud to be related to.
My contact info is young229@btinternet.com.
I hope you don't forget me and please contact me whenever you like.

All the very very best guys. SMF is the most gentlemanly and knowledgable shaving forum around and I will miss joining in the discussions.

This 'Simpson' is heading back to the non-forum world!

Cheers!

Gary
Gary
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Very sorry to see you go, Gary. But I respect your decision. I wish things could have gone differently for you since December, but we all definitely appreciate your immense knowledge and information while you were among us! 8)

All the very, very best to you - now and in the future.
Jason

Post by Gary Young »

Baloosh wrote:Very sorry to see you go, Gary. But I respect your decision. I wish things could have gone differently for you since December, but we all definitely appreciate your immense knowledge and information while you were among us! 8)

All the very, very best to you - now and in the future.
Jason

Cheers!

Please keep in contact. You have been a good friend during my brief trip into this strange world!!

Gary
Gary
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Gary, I wish you the best, and I hope this strange internet world hasn't left you scared of shave geeks for life!

Take care my friend :wink:
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

Sodapopjones wrote:Gary, I wish you the best, and I hope this strange internet world hasn't left you scared of shave geeks for life!

Remember I have been around 'shave geeks' all my life! I'm related to them!
I hope SMF keep this thread up so that guys know I am saying bye rather than delete it as 'the other one' has!

Gary
Gary
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

What i said...:

"id imperfectum manet dum confectum erit"...

Gary, i invited you to join SMF and i invite you now to stay with us.

I know it's a long shot but i'm being very seriously.

Do not part.
Peter
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

drP wrote:What i said...:

"id imperfectum manet dum confectum erit"...

Gary, i invited you to join SMF and i invite you now to stay with us.

I know it's a long shot but i'm being very seriously.

Do not part.
Peter

I know you did and that's what makes it such a hard decision but I don't want Mark to face any further negativity on the forums. I am sure that my presence has exacerbated things. He is a genuine guy as am I. I never wanted or asked for any of the issues currently amassing. If i stay here and not elsewhere I can see it will cause issues.
There is a big crossover as you are well aware.

Gary
Gary
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Gary Please stay! But I understand your feelings. When I first encountered your Family's brushes at Brooks Brothers on Madison Avenue as a young lad I was smitten and still am. I was so excited to see your arrival here and I hope to keep in touch too. Take care,

Max
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

vtmax wrote:Gary Please stay! But I understand your feelings. When I first encountered your Family's brushes at Brooks Brothers on Madison Avenue as a young lad I was smitten and still am. I was so excited to see your arrival here and I hope to keep in touch too. Take care,

Max
I am sorry guys but recent events and PMs I have received (not from here please note) have put the final nail in the forum coffin for me. I have been branded too many derogatory names in the last few weeks.
I have been brought up by a very good father and mother and have a very decent family background of which I will be eternally proud of. I will not tar every forum with the same brush but a very nasty taste has been left in my mouth by people that do not know me or my family or how I am as a person. That taste no matter how hard I try cannot be rinsed away.

Gary
Gary
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Stay lurking and come back whenever you want to; you never caused any trouble over here afaic/afaik. This board is a "quite rural backwater"( :wink: ) in the online shaving community after all...

Take care and many thanks for you contributions.

Hope to see you around very soon again... :wink:
Peter
kooshman7

Post by kooshman7 »

I don't know what it is about internet forums but they seem to inherently bring out the worst in many folks. More so than in many situations. I've seen it time and again. But they can bring out the best in people as well. I'm sorry that it seems for you so many had to show their worst side. I always enjoy reading your posts and your knowledge. I wish you would stay, but I understand your decision and respect it. I hope that you still have plans to work on writing a book of the history of Simpson during your time with your father. I would love to have that info available right in my hands, as many others would I'm sure! And of course no rushes if you do! :)

I wish you the best in all that you do Gary whatever that may be! I've greatly enjoyed the info that you have shared, and your sense of humor.
Joe
function

Post by function »

Gary you seem to have learned the hard and fast way a fact that I always keep in my mind: "Everybody on the internet is an idiot but me, and will remain so until they prove me wrong."

I expect people to view me that way as well.

Posters take on a persona that is not necessarily who they are, many of whom try to play the bully role.

You, as you clearly stated, began in an awkward position with your family connection to a well respected brand and no current interest. Not being a disgruntled former employee some of the small minded seem to have been unable to separate you from the business, despite your clear statement as such.

I wish you the best of luck, and will add that I enjoy your input on this board. May the idiocy of a few not impact your other decisions, personally I found your collaboration with the Simpsons line now to be very intriguing and I hope you can continue. Take credit if you want, or avoid it if you feel that is best.

Your input here has been valuable and useful, which is more than can be said for the majority of posters on any board of any type, myself included.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

Can I just say to Chris and the other guys that run this forum....

You run a really brilliant site with some of the best technical questioning and technical know-how I have seen since joining the forums. On here I actually felt like I could enter a discussion that was based on well thought out and educated posts.

My decision is in no way meant as a bad reflection on this forum. Due to the current situation regarding the LE brushes I cannot see a solution apart from distancing myself from all forums. I will never distance myself from Simpson though. That is an inherent connection.

Gary
Gary
Crhis

Post by Crhis »

Gary Young wrote:If i stay here and not elsewhere I can see it will cause issues.
You know, you wouldn't be the first to do that and it's never really resulted in a problem. For the most part people avoid letting things get too heated here, in that way at least. I say if you enjoy the company here, and you do seem to, then continue in that regard with whatever you feel comfortable with, be that less frequent posting or whatever, but bringing up the word 'quit' is a big move.

Truth is I stopped using this forum for a while myself. My reasons were quite different, and no doubt a little boring, I'd mostly found out what equipment I was happy with and that was always the goal for me, so I thought, and I was spending a little bit more money than I'd like when I'd inevitably get taken up with whatever the passionate posters here were obsessing over that month.

The point is that this is really a wonderful place, and in all the communities I've been a part of I count myself most lucky to have been involved in some small way with this one. It's the great posters here and the atmosphere that everyone has created that drove me back, and I hope that never changes, but at the same time I know it will. Just as one day there was a Wetshavers MSN Group that was very special that I missed out on some day there won't be a SMF, and maybe next time some of those great posters will be lost or won't follow for whatever reason. I want to make the most of this while I can, I'd have to be crazy not to.

I know you have good intentions in leaving this place that don't need restating but... well I think I can speak for SMF when I say that as much as I think you'd miss us we'd miss your contribution even more.

[P.S. This is the first time I've said much of this in public - Thanks guys]
Christopher
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Gary Young wrote:
Sodapopjones wrote:Gary, I wish you the best, and I hope this strange internet world hasn't left you scared of shave geeks for life!

Remember I have been around 'shave geeks' all my life! I'm related to them!
I hope SMF keep this thread up so that guys know I am saying bye rather than delete it as 'the other one' has!

Gary
Very true Gary, you're very fortunate to be apart of the Simpsons legacy, its a shame a site chastised you for it. I will rephrase my statement, I hope the INTERNET, hasn't left you scared there are some great folks that appreciate your input.
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Gary, what has been said above. If I may say that while I respect and appreciate the sentiment behind leaving and reognize the factors that are leading to them, I believe the reasoning that you can't be one place if you can't be everywhere is flawed. It is not unfair or problematic to be selective. Some places are special; others, as displayed today, are "special". Don't let the latter distract from the former.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Gary,
I know of no reason why you shouldn't stay here, and I don't see how you have brought down opprobrium upon Mark. I am a member at TSD and SRP, but 99% of my time is here - it is home for me. Lots of people have a favourite forum and stick with it. You are allowed to do the same. If you feel you have to consider yourself a vendor with respect to the GYLE brush, I would say only if you stand to profit by it, and even if that is the case it means posting about it only in the Shopping forum.
Of course, if it is real life that is calling to you, go ahead and attend to it, then drift back when and as you can.

All the best, either way.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

drmoss_ca wrote:Gary,
I know of no reason why you shouldn't stay here, and I don't see how you have brought down opprobrium upon Mark. I am a member at TSD and SRP, but 99% of my time is here - it is home for me. Lots of people have a favourite forum and stick with it. You are allowed to do the same. If you feel you have to consider yourself a vendor with respect to the GYLE brush, I would say only if you stand to profit by it, and even if that is the case it means posting about it only in the Shopping forum.
Of course, if it is real life that is calling to you, go ahead and attend to it, then drift back when and as you can.

All the best, either way.

Chris
Chris

Thanks for your reply. As always, you make great sense!
It is not so much 'real life' that is calling to me, more so 'real situations'. Coming into the forum world as a 'freshman' back in December was a real eye opener. I just can't comprehend how much some people hide behind their keyboards and almost see this internet world as some kind of alternate universe where they can be something other than their true selves. I have been classed as using 'stealth techniques' elsewhere! Statements like that actually do hurt! 'Stealth' is being mistaken for excitement on my part. And apologies were publically made by me to that effect - and meant. I just cannot get my head around the split personalities of the forum world. In some instances it's like Clark Kent/Superman or probably a better analogy Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde. If I did things wrong I held my hands up and apologised. No malice was ever intended or underhandedness meant on my part.

I am just disillusioned with this 'unreal reality' - if that makes sense.

Gary
Gary
psram

Post by psram »

Gary,

Firstly, my thanks for your constant efforts to satisfy the enormous curiosity about Simpson brushes and brush making in general, in this and other forums. Some of the insights provided have been truly informative and entertaining.

While the reasons for your decision is understandable, I like others here urge you to reconsider. If you still stick with your decision, please drop by once in a while to "passively" participate.
Pradeep
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

Sorry to see you go Gary. I agree that people tend to fluff up the feathers when their opponents are miles away. You should see the gaming world. People love to berate/cuss/and generally are degenerate to people that they have no chance of ever meeting.

Like many have said, just take a break, and post along here every now and again. I for one have enjoyed your participation, and am still looking forward to that VHS to DVD endeavor that you had mentioned.