Bidding a fond farewell!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Gary, it really is a sad day, but like all others above had said, I do understand your position and emotions, the knowledge you bring to the table is tremendous and it is our loss if you leave. As Peter and Chris have stated, please reconsider and allow us to pick all those juicy tid bits of history from you, most of all, your company is greatly appreciated here.

I thinks we have worn Gordon out of great, brush, cologne, razor blade and shave cream history/lore, I was excited when you arrived knowing between Gordon and yourself we here were set for some great old history lessons.

All the best Gary
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A regrettable decision Gary, you are certainly welcome here.
Regards,
Squire
SRD

Post by SRD »

Gary this is sad news indeed. You have added a tremendous amount of information to these forums and I appreciate it. As a matter of fact your introduction here is what led me to buy my first Simpson. I do wish that you could see your way to stay here or at least drop in on us every now and then but like the others, I respect your decision. I have your email and will be in touch. It's been a grand pleasure. On the square.
Dave
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

drmoss_ca wrote:Gary,
I know of no reason why you shouldn't stay here, and I don't see how you have brought down opprobrium upon Mark. I am a member at TSD and SRP, but 99% of my time is here - it is home for me. Lots of people have a favourite forum and stick with it. You are allowed to do the same. If you feel you have to consider yourself a vendor with respect to the GYLE brush, I would say only if you stand to profit by it, and even if that is the case it means posting about it only in the Shopping forum.
Of course, if it is real life that is calling to you, go ahead and attend to it, then drift back when and as you can.

All the best, either way.

Chris
Chris,

Although I am a rookie here, this is kinda, sorta the response I expected from you. Gary in his short time here has brought more insight than most of us. He will be missed!!!! I wish him the best.

Time in grade and the number of posts do not necessarily make one a seer.

PS: Gary, I have a Wee Scot, a Duke #1, and a Berkeley 46 - wonderful brushes. Wish I could afford some of the higher end Simpson brushes as mine are most comfortable.

Ed
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Gary, I enjoy reading your posts and have learned quite a lot of information from them as well. I don't follow the other forums so I don't know what goes on there. I do follow this forum daily and enjoy being here as the members seem to all get along with each other. I hope you do stay or visit once in a while.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary, I'm very sorry to learn of this decision. You and I had exchanged a couple of very positive PMs earlier this morning, and I was looking forward to interacting with you in that regard, in the future. I greatly respect your background and knowledge, and certainly your own personal integrity and character. Your presence will be missed here. And just for the record --- please don't go! All the best to you, sir.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Gary and Moderators and Mark,

Why don't you guys discuss this behind the scenes? Just because your presence/participation might cause problems elsewhere, Gary, it doesn't mean it causes problems here or anywhere else. Just because you might not get along with your mother-in-law, it doesn't mean you can't get along with your father-in-law and don't love your wife. I trust the moderators completely and I will be satisfied with whatever they decide.

Dave
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Somehow I knew this would be the result. Gary Young is too hot a potato in the world of fanatic wetshavers.
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Gary, Ive sincerely appreciated the insights and history youve shared on the forums. I respect your decision, it is disapointing that other folks felt they needed to push it this way.

Best Regards.
serpico

Post by serpico »

I wish you'd reconsider Gary. As a history buff in general and an enthusiast in the wet shaving world I greatly enjoyed the insight you provide.
jss

Post by jss »

Gary..

Thanks for all you've done for our forum as a group and for me as an individual..When I saw your first post, last December, I thought someone might be assuming the name in honor of the heritage..But then you turned out to be Alexander Simpson's great-nephew..My interest in brushes took on new meaning..As you have graciously and rightly stated, there are some extremely well informed brush-men ( if I may ) on this forum..I will not attempt to call anyone's name, but most of us know, whom most of you are..Thank you too..

Well Gary, I've gotten this far and still haven't figured out how to convince you to change your mind and stay with us..We would even go for a hiatus of some sort, with a promise to join us further down the path..Would you be open to that??

Best regards,

Julian
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, While I understand the delicacy of your position I can do little more than echo Chris, Peter, and Marty in that I don't really see the need to exit SMF due to problems experianced on other forums. While it's true that even here, perhaps, you don't feel that you can always candidly share what's on your mind, still that leaves a lot of leeway for active participation none the less. I too urge you to keep an open mind regarding rejoining us, if not right now, then some time in the future. Many thanks for your significent contributions to SMF since last December, and thanks also to Peter for pointing you the way to this forum.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, I'm sad to see you leave, also. Though I haven't participated much in your threads, I have read your posts with interest and I have greatly appreciated your contribution to the forum. It has been a privilege to have a scion of the Simpson family, not to mention the gentleman that you have proven yourself to be, among us.

I, too, would like to see you reconsider your decision. And, if not, I hope that your will drop in from time to time. We have enjoyed your company.

- Murray
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I'll just second all the above.

Have fun, Gary!
Eric
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what Murray said

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

I haven't seen any more responses from Gary, I hope he didn't drop out just yet.

I would agree with the general comments noted here...I would hope you would stay on, even if just in "lurk" mode.

The Internet is at the same time a fantastic place and a place that I wish hadn't been invented. Fantastic because it has opened up new vistas for folks. I was never aware of the vast amount of wonderful shaving product being used from around the world. Certainly I could have stayed happy with my basic brush, but I love my X2L more. I could use canned goop, but I love my Cella, T&H and Trumpers product. Had it not been for the Internet and SMF specifically I would never have known, or tried them. Indeed, if not for SMF and folks like Gordon I would never have known the major differences in blades...thinking one was the same as another.

On the other hand - as noted earlier - people can turn into real jerks on the Internet. With nobody looking over their shoulder people say things they could NEVER say in the real world. There are just no consequences to being a ciber-bully.

EXCEPT at SMF. I remember that not too long ago a new member starting to get ugly over a blade offering on the BST. The poster got fair warning to calm himself, then he was permanently removed. We are a calm, considerate bunch, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

You must do what you feel is best, of course, and no one here will fault you for that. I always read your posts with great interest, and will miss them if you do leave.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
e d o

Post by e d o »

Gary,
I've enjoyed reading your posts and would surly miss them. Many that post here don't participate in the other shaving forums for similar reasons that you have come across. As the French say, vive la différence. One need not participate in all, just where the discourse suits you and where you come away feeling good about the time you've spent. Cheers and best of luck if you do leave us!
changabang

Post by changabang »

Never having had any interaction with you, you will nevertheless be missed. Am I mistaken, or did the other forum erase your farewell thread there?
James Nicks
DEF

Post by DEF »

Thank you for everything, Gary, and I join the others in recommending you reconsider once the dust has settled. I can only imagine how shell-shocked you must feel after recent weirdness. However it plays out, rest assured that a great many of us continue to hold the Simpsons brand and history in highest regard and will remain enthusiastic customers.
Doug
malocchio

sorry

Post by malocchio »

I ,too,have enjoyed your postings,always great insight....it's not a good thing when a guy feels so much pressure he has to head down a separate road,but we all respect your decision...