Omega boar brush 10049

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

After about four years of trying many brushes, I purchased a 49 Pro a couple of weeks ago. Think I've finally landed on "The One". The face feel and lathering efficacy are perfect for me, and I've never held a more comfortable handle.

I agree that it's not quite as handsome as my M&F Blonde Emillion or Simpsons two-band badgers, but, for me, it's functionally superior.

Regards,
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

I received and used today an Omega Professional 100083 boar shaving brush and I enjoyed using it very much. I lathered up with Mama Bear's Ye Olde Barber Shoppe shaving soap and it performed in an outstanding manner. I agree that functionally it is on par with any brush I have owned. I am down to the four brushes shown below.... As for the Omega, I purchased mine from an eBay seller for $14.99 shipped.
Mike
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

The Omega makers deliver consistent quality. Most people who buy them are satisfied; I know I am. Few people ever pan them strongly. :D
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

The big Omega Professional 100083 continues to get face-time.... Today it was paired with Blenheim Bouquet cream.
Mike
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

Araner wrote:The 49 is the best boar brush ever made.
Mike
It's much better than that !
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by brothers »

Lord Ponsenberry Smyth wrote:
Araner wrote:The 49 is the best boar brush ever made.
Mike
It's much better than that !
So David, it's a badger brush, right? :lol: Just kidding, of course, but I think my Omega 20106 is the best boar brush ever made, the knot is 28 X 65.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that 14 months have elapsed since I wrote the above statement, a follow-up seems necessary. I did enjoy the 20106, but that brush never was fully broken in, and my ardor cooled considerably when a couple of wonderful badger brushes became my favorites.

Back in June, I actually took a pair of scissors and a drill and blew out the boar bristles in the 20106 and replaced the knot with a massive silvertip badger knot. It's a fine brush, but still doesn't get used much, if any, lately.

I recently consulted with Bruno at The Vintage Scent in Portugal, and he wisely recommended the Semogue 2000, which fully broken in is an outstanding example of a great boar brush. With the boar-actuated adrenalin still flowing, now I've acquired an Omega 49 with a red handle, and it is also fully broken in. I can easily identify with all of the above posts about how nice the Omega 49 brush is.

These two equally acclaimed brushes are soon to be joined by my third and probably final boar brush. After a long tedious exhaustive search of the world. I located a source of an aluminum-handled 70mm loft boar brush, and it is now headed for the northern hemisphere, I presume. After it arrives and if it survives my arduous pre-shave breaking in process without incident, I'll give it a whirl and post about it, as well.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Gary, don't stop your search for boars until you get your Koh-I-Noor SC68!!!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I found one in Italy but the vendor wouldn't sell to USA, then the brush changed to not in stock. I've also communicated (one way communication, it seems) with the US distributor and the Italian manufacturer. Turns out that when they say "contact us", I'm a fool to contemplate a response. I'm evidently something that they find to be repulsive and deserving nothing more than complete contempt, specifically, a paying customer that knows exactly what I want to buy, immediately. Incidentally, there's a brush for sale on ebay that looks like the KIH brush, and the seller must be a first cousin to the distributor and the manufacturer, because even when I send two separate questions to the seller via ebay, they will not respond. I'm asking if the brush is aluminum. Shame on me, again, not a question that deserves a response. Finally, I did find a very kind gentleman in Australia who has 4 aluminum 70mm boar brushes that look identical to the KIH, and unless I'm mistaken is made in Italy. One of those brushes is enroute to me now. What's up with people???
Gary

Martin

Post by Martin »

Damn, got me interested now :) . The Omega website only tells you the overall height, no knot size or anything else. How do you guys choose which to buy without this info???.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The vendors usually take some kind of measurement or have a list from the manufacturer or something. In my experience, one vendor's stated loft might not be the same for another vendor of the very same brush. It is pretty frustrating to observe that a few manufacturers and vendors, and even some rare forum members seem to take it for granted that the loft isn't important and should be ignored. :lol:
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Martin

Post by Martin »

ShadowsDad wrote:Try this for dimensions: http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/prmishbrdisu.html
Thanks for this much appreciated.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Martin, from your other post regarding a possible problem brush, may I assume you're exploring the possibility of a new brush?

There is an outfit in the UK that I do business with, http://www.vintagescent.com/. They carry Semogue brushes and may be a step up from the lower grades of Omega. Semogue makes a nice brush, but I don't mean to detract from Omega. It's just another brush to look at. My $8 Omega (10019) is a very nicely performing boar and gives nothing away in the area of the knot.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JimJack

Re: Omega boar brush 10049

Post by JimJack »

I use two Omegas the 48 and 98.