Omega boar brush 10049

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
dennisthemenace

Omega boar brush 10049

Post by dennisthemenace »

Thought I'd post a few thoughts on the above brush that I won in the Straightrazorplace Giveaway a couple months back. It's the big red handled pro model. I've read people's comments on stinky boar brushes, and always thought, "What weenies!" I have three other boar brushes and never thought they had that much of a smell. The Omega made up for that! It took a couple shampoos, and several uses to get rid of that smell! Other than that, this brush is just amazing! It outperforms all my other boar brushes! An old Mohawk from the '60s (my first brush), a German made from a local barber supply, and a Van Der Hagen from CVS. I've used this Omega w/ soaps and creams and it provides lots of great lather. Very little shedding. Lots of backbone and soft tips which are splitting nicely. I've used it w/ hot water, and cold, and doing very well w/ both. In short, I LOVE this brush!
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

big omega boars rock
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Araner

Post by Araner »

The 49 is the best boar brush ever made and it only costs about $10.00.

Mike
changabang

Post by changabang »

Yes, I have the red 49, too. It's a monster. A fine brush, but I'd take a Semogue first.
James Nicks
function

Post by function »

I retired my 49 to my parent's house for when I go back to Pittsburgh because it was just too big for me. I love the performance with creams, produces a masterful, thick lather.
Personally I have gotten more use of my x0005, the smaller loft is a bit stiffer and more versatile to me.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I just had one of my best shaves with my Omega 48 (even bigger than 49) and with palmolive stick rub on face, arko shave soap sliced from bowl combined with some green italian toothpaste for superlather I had one of the nices shaves.

The brush feels so gentle on skin that cheaper badger brushes have no comparison. Lather paint brush style, not smashed like mantic does. The latter style wont work with boar brushes.
Jarmo
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Don't tell me this stuff! :shock:

I really like my Omega 80062 and was wondering about a larger hog bristle brush. Aaauuugggh! Stop me before I spend again! :roll:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
function

Post by function »

Odio Barbillas wrote:Don't tell me this stuff! :shock:

I really like my Omega 80062 and was wondering about a larger hog bristle brush. Aaauuugggh! Stop me before I spend again! :roll:
Seriously buy one. It's less than $20 shipped, and a solid performer.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

B-b-but my Conk/Vulfix pure badger? My 80062? My beloved horsie (Vie-Long 12601)?

Decisions ... :shock:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

function wrote:I retired my 49 to my parent's house for when I go back to Pittsburgh because it was just too big for me. I love the performance with creams, produces a masterful, thick lather.
Personally I have gotten more use of my x0005, the smaller loft is a bit stiffer and more versatile to me.
Currently working with a Koh-I-Noor which responds to my need for a good scubbing brush but I am also a fan of that x0005 brush. Moreover, the x0005 is the most commonly held brush in the Shopper's Drug Mart (Pharmaprix in Quebec) shaving section (next to the Proraso gear) which is good if you need to pick up a brush in a pinch.
Andy
Books

Post by Books »

I have 2 boar brushes, the Omega 48 and the 31064.
Love them both, but I think the 48 gives me better results, but it's so big, it rarely gets used. In fact I think it's time I dusted it off again.... :D
Bob
giammi

Post by giammi »

Shaved with a 48 this morning....fantastic as always.

The 48 is easily available in Italy and usually the gift I make when sombody wants to try classic shaving. You can't go wrong with the 48.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

The 49 doesn't care much what you feed it, cream or soap, it performs very well. I have two of them, a red handle and a white handle.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I have a red 49 and it just sat there unused for the longest time - pulled it out a couple of weeks ago and had a terrific shave with some Cella soap... this combination was mean't to be! ...wondered why I hadn't used it before... Oh well, now I know!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
OldSaw

Post by OldSaw »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I have a red 49 and it just sat there unused for the longest time - pulled it out a couple of weeks ago and had a terrific shave with some Cella soap... this combination was mean't to be! ...wondered why I hadn't used it before... Oh well, now I know!
Yes, it is a great combination. I find I can more easily match the water to soap ratio with Cella when using my 10049. I swirl just the tips of the wet brush on the soap and then face lather. It starts off a little thin, but ends up very luxurious. If I don't have the ratio just right I simply swirl a little more on the soap or dip the tips in water and voila.
Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather

Dennis
drumana

Post by drumana »

I don't know about the 48 and 49 and other large Omega brushes, but I'm happy with my medium sized 11137. It's a great brush that makes a fantastic lather. It's got sufficient backbone and soft tips but I do, however, favor the face feel of my badger brushes. They somehow have a little more finesse.
-Andrew-
Hodari D.

Post by Hodari D. »

I've been using a 49 (white handle) exclusively for the past few months. I sold all my other brushes. That's how much I like it. It is amazing in lathering up Razorock XXX. That has become my favorite combination. Follow that up with some Vito's aftershaving and I'm in business!
Best,
Scott
Araner

Post by Araner »

These two 49's have never let me down.

Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've had pretty good luck with the 20106 Omega.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

brothers wrote:I've had pretty good luck with the 20106 Omega.
+1