Brush Purchase

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
daniel051

Brush Purchase

Post by daniel051 »

Good evening,

After years of restraint--four to be precise--I am thinking of buying another brush. (I've rationalised it by telling myself that a new razor is on the way and so I ought to find it a companion.)

To that end, I spent a few hours today re-reading old threads. What struck me was how much tastes and brush characteristics have changed over the years. Indeed, I wondered at times if comments from three or four years ago could still be considered valid. At any rate, having been away from the forum for a few years, I've been out of the loop. As such, your advice will be precious for me.

I currently have a PJ2 Super (bought in 2007) and am very satisfied with its performance. I'd like to purchase another Simpsons seeing as I'm comfortable with the brand and, I must confess, have always had the impression that they were the finest brushes around (at least based on what I've read).

So, Simpsons in best or super:

- The Tulip appealed to me because it's a classic top-ender and frankly, would be the front-runner;
- The Colonel X2L is an interesting choice, too, but I worry that it might be a wee bit too small;
- The Emperor appealed to me because of its handle--the reason why conversely I never was attracted to the Chubby--although it would seem that this brush is not all that popular around here, especially compared to the first two I've mentioned.

I've perhaps already written too much, so I'll wait for some of your comments before asking more particular questions. So you know, I have always used creams (TOBS, Trumper) and lathered in a bowl--I don't intend to change these habits soon. Also, I'm just over 5'7", so I'm not a man with especially big hands or a big face (although it's naturally a bit plump).

Thank you for whatever words of wisdom you'll be able to provide.

Kind regards,
Daniel
Bologna, Italy
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

So as as a cream&bowl guy, you'll want a longer handle?

Do you like soft? Or uber soft? Or a bit of scritch? Something in the 24-26mm range?

There are plenty of other great brands out there. Rooney, Shavemac, Kent, M&F, SR, Semogue, Thater.

I would suggest trying a different brand as you already have a Simpsons you love. Maybe a Rooney Heritage Victorian? A Kent BLK8? Or have Lee make a M&F to your specs?

Just some thoughts,

Ken
iKon OSS, Med Preps, MdC AOS ASB..... Perfection!
nathanb

Post by nathanb »

I have a Simpson Duke 2 in Best. I really love it, it was my only brush for a year. I really like the Simpson brand and am currently thinking of getting another Simpson brush (an Emperor in Super 2 band).

But I have since gotten a Shavemac and a Rooney Heritage (a small Beehive). I am definitely enjoying these other two brushes as well.

I guess my point is that there is nothing wrong with getting another Simpson but it may be good to branch out and try another of the excellent brands out there.

I think Ken already hit some great points about what you might want to consider. Especially since you are bowl lathering you will definitely want to consider a brush with a longer handle. Unfortunately I cannot advise which would be best since I face lather only so all my brushes have short handles! :lol:

Best of luck!
-Nathan
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I don't think the quality and characteristics of brushes change so much as list fashion. For instance, some time back we had a member who established a personality cult around himself based in his feverish advocacy of boar brushes. Suddenly we were all raving about boar brushes and how much better they are than badgers. Then the boar advocate left and we drifted back to the mustelids. Recently a guy raves about Thaters and a Thater brush becomes the must-have. Or was that the M & Fs? I forget. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these fashion swings, but I urge you to understand them for what they are.

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

Horse! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Emperor 3 fan, here. The handle-to-hair aesthetic always appealed to me. The three-band is excellent at bowl lathering (and handles soaps easily, too). And now there's a choice between three- and two-band. As with the Tulip and Colonel, knot size and loft vary enough to where you can pick the spec you like. Wish I was in your position.
Ron
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Hi Daniel-

I bowl lather much more than face.
I agree that a longer handle would be of value especially since you're content with the PJ.

You didn't mention price. For a modest price, the Rooney 3/1 is a great shape that behaves well in a lather bowl.

If you're wanting to stay with Simpson, the the Emperor would be a fine choice.

And very few owners of Shavemac are disappointed.

So, take your time. Read a bit. Ask questions. As you'll quickly see, there are plenty of us willing to share an opinion. :D :D :D
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
drumana

Post by drumana »

Daniel - Since you already have a Simpson brush in Super, I suggest getting one in Best. It will offer a different experience than what you have.
-Andrew-
Araner

Post by Araner »

M6Classic wrote:I don't think the quality and characteristics of brushes change so much as list fashion. For instance, some time back we had a member who established a personality cult around himself based in his feverish advocacy of boar brushes. Suddenly we were all raving about boar brushes and how much better they are than badgers. Then the boar advocate left and we drifted back to the mustelids. Recently a guy raves about Thaters and a Thater brush becomes the must-have. Or was that the M & Fs? I forget. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these fashion swings, but I urge you to understand them for what they are.

Buzz
Bravo, well said.

Mike
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

I'd like to think we'll still be around when the others have long 'been and gone' ...
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Vulfix Old Original wrote:I'd like to think we'll still be around when the others have long 'been and gone' ...
Well. I gave my son my vintage '80-'82 ivory handle Chubby 3. He likes it a lot, treats it well, and is likely to be using it long after I am gone. It is a very good brush, indeed.

Buzz
Gene

Post by Gene »

M6Classic wrote:Recently a guy raves about Thaters and a Thater brush becomes the must-have. Or was that the M & Fs?
Buzz, it was both.

I have the X2L, but not the others. It's the largest brush in my stable today, but I have owned others that were larger. I find it to be an excellent brush, and I can see myself using it for years to come.

It's available with better hair on it (the Eshan), but I couldn't justify the price difference. You might like it, though.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Gene wrote:
M6Classic wrote:Recently a guy raves about Thaters and a Thater brush becomes the must-have. Or was that the M & Fs?
Buzz, it was both.

I have the X2L, but not the others. It's the largest brush in my stable today, but I have owned others that were larger. I find it to be an excellent brush, and I can see myself using it for years to come.

It's available with better hair on it (the Eshan), but I couldn't justify the price difference. You might like it, though.
Wrong guy, it was Daniel from Bologna who is in the market for a brush. I bought my third and last brush seven years ago, a vintage early Eighties #24 Plisson HMW set in plexiglass. Doesn't get much better. Doesn't get much more expensive...though certainly cost-effective at one every thirty-five or forty years.

Buzz
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Daniel

I am a huge fan of the tulip, t3 to be precise. Its a beautiful brush with just the right amount of everything one could hope for in a brush I have no idea though how the t1 or t2 compares, but several 'geeks' here talk about them fondly

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i haven't used another brush since my thater arrived. the most effective and soft lather maker i have ever used. i don't think the brand is the key in a quality brush but rather the type of hair-density- knot- and loft,.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your interest, although I must confess that I was overwhelmed by the number of replies. Nevertheless, I will endeavour to answer all of you below.

1. Gary will forgive me, but the Simpsons brand is by no means sacrosanct. I know there are other fine brands that I might try. Frankly, I had elected to go with Simpsons if only because I like the brand and I thought it would be best to post having already narrowed down the options. Furthermore, I have the impression that Simpsons gives more bang for the buck, at least based on what I have read in older threads (Rooney, for instance, seems pricier to me). Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. Buzz, you are right to observe how frivolous fashion can be. Just because something is in now does not mean it is the best around or, more importantly, what I seek. My comment on changing brush characteristics had to do with the quality control issues that have been registered of late at Simpsons. I do not mean to slander anyone, but it would seem there were problems and a drop in quality as the David Carter-era ended while there has been a recovery under Vulfix's stewardship. I think some authoritative members of this forum had even opined that the Vulfix-produced brushes best those of the Carter-era and are much closer in quality to those produced under the Simpson family. Again, forgive me if I am mistaken. All these replies and the older threads I have been reading contain alot to digest, so maybe I am mixed up but that is the impression I got.

3. Besides those general considerations, I was curious to know what the difference in practice is between best and super in a Simpsons. Ken, I would like something that is soft to the touch, but at the same time a little firm. My first brush was a Vulfix and I did not care for its floppiness. When I decided to replace it, Gordon had recommended a PJ2 Best. I ended up with a PJ2 Super by accident: the best I had bought shed a great deal, so Lee kindly replaced it for me with a super, seeing as he had no more bests and did not know when they would arrive.

4. In terms of size, I suppose a medium one will do. As I said, not having a particularly big face or hands nor issues about my masculinity--as it was once remarked about another member--(chuckle), I see no need to venture if I am to stick with Simpsons into the Polo line or something similar from another brand. :wink:

5. As for price, I do not know. I tend to judge price based on durability. If I buy a brush every five years, I can afford to spend a bit. At the same time, nothing too outrageous. The Tulip I had mentioned at around 100 quid was as high as I was planning to go. Obviously, if a couple of dollars or pounds makes a big difference I am willing to spend it.

It would be nice to handle different brushes to get a better idea of how they might feel, but Bologna seems to be a one-brush town: Omega. The factory is actually just a few miles up the road from my house. I will be in Bangor, Co. Down in a couple of weeks. Perhaps I will be able to find some other brushes up there. If anyone knows of a place where I can go, please do let me know.

I will have to re-read your replies over the coming days, but for this evening I must sign off. It is late and I think I am close to winning the prize--if I have not already--of having written the longest SMF post ever. Hope it was no bore.

Thank you again for your interest. Grazie di cuore.

Sincerely,
Daniel
Bologna, Italy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Daniel, Well, I think it's wise of you to inquire regarding the bristle used the various Simpsons today as it has, indeed, shifted a bit from when you bought your PJ2 Super. Back then, their Super Badger tended to be heavier shafted and stiffer than their Best grade and the tips were often not as soft on the face, at least when new. Given that there has always been some individual variation anyway, on the whole, today it seems to be the other way around....ie. the Best is a bit heavier and stiffer. The Tulips are only available in Super anyway, so if you go that route it's only a question of whether you just get a 'regular' one, or contact Vulfix or Bullgoose Shaving an attempt to get a specifically two banded version. From what I've read here, this might be your best bet. Some X2L Colonel brushes were also available with this 'special order' two banded bristle. I'm not sure if Bullgoose still has any left, but you could check. If you settle on this two banded bristle it would really then come down to which handle style appeals to you the most. FWIW, I think that the Tulip makes a nice counterpart to the Persian Jar. Have fun agonizing over the whole thing ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

Daniel,

Great post.

We certainly don't claim to be sacrosanct, in fact I'd say we have many faults. Recognising issues & trying to address them in the best way possible is just good business practice.

Now on to your brush choice:

Have you tried our Best grade? I'd say, bang for your Buck / Pound / Euro it's as good as it gets right about now. It shares the characteristics you crave in abundance ... "I would like something that is soft to the touch, but at the same time a little firm."

The handle shape is down to personal preference but I'd agree that the Polo is a beautifully worked shape & strangely, often ignored.

That said, there are many fine brushemakers out there at the moment offering great alternatives to the Simpson brand ... It's a buyers market! Go have fun looking.

:D

Mark
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
Drubbing
Location: Western Australia-4 hrs flight from anywhere else...

Post by Drubbing »

I can only offer an opinion on the Best hair offered by Simpson. I've 3 of varying size and density, and none can be faulted for lathering performance.

But despite sharing similar hair grade, they all feel different, and this depends on the loft and density chosen.

I have a short loft Berkeley and it's not very dense, still soft, yet scrubby.
A Commodore X2, which is denser, so softer still, but taller so not as scrubby.
A Chubby 1 which is short, fat and the softest of the lot, but firm and muscly.

By comparison I had a Rooney silvertip that was no softer than the Chubby, but had virtually no feel or feedback. It really offered only a fat knot with soft tips.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Vulfix Old Original wrote: the Polo is a beautifully worked shape & strangely, often ignored.
Not by me, Mark. It's one of my top three shapes (with Kent and Rooney 3/3). A truely outstanding brush design.

And, OP, don't think all Polos are huge. The PL8 in short lofted 2 band is a wonderful small brush!

Cheers,

Ken
iKon OSS, Med Preps, MdC AOS ASB..... Perfection!