HELP! My Simpson is cracking!!

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Craig_From_Cincy

HELP! My Simpson is cracking!!

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I'm on vacation in Tucson AZ, and after shaving this morning i noticed a large crack in the handle of my beloved Simpson #58. I've had a small crack in the handle of the brush for some years, and as it's never gotten any larger, I didn't worry about it:

Today I noticed the new crack. It's large, and developed very quickly:

I wonder if the airplane trip and resulting pressure changes caused the new crack? Anyway, can anything be done to fill/repair these cracks and stop them from growing larger?
Last edited by Craig_From_Cincy on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Craig
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

Craig,

My initial diagnosis from the pictures would be that the problem is terminal. It's possible to epoxy the cracks but it may only be delaying the inevitable as warmer water enters the handle and swells the glue further.

Mark
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I don't think the plane trip did it since the handle is not air tight and the resulting pressure changes would not affect it. Sad news indeed!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
SRD

Post by SRD »

Oh man! That's sad. Well I guess it's almost time to get a new one.
Dave
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Man. That's a bummer.

HOWEVER, it has also created an opportunity.

You now can, legitimately, go on a brush hunt; the same quest many of us are always engaged in.

Good luck!
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
changabang

Post by changabang »

Could be the plane ride did it. How about the heat factor of Tucson? Whatever, it looks stone cold dead. My sympathies.
James Nicks
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

That looks like a nasty crack and it may indeed grow. However, the brush may yet have a longer life than you imagine and you should go on enjoying it until the knot falls out. I know several men who have gone on using damaged brushes for years and years.

If you need an excuse to buy a new brush, well, then you have a good one. However, if you really appreciate this brush and enjoy its companionship, I advise that you don't start the mourning process any sooner thn necessary.

Buzz
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

When I was a youth, broken glasses frames were often repaired (by me or my brother) using epoxy and black electrical tape.

Just an option. :lol:
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Craig,

There was an outbreak of Simpson handles cracking about four years ago. You should be able to find exactly when it occurred by searching the brush forum. It seems to me that there had been a bad batch of rod stock used for the handles. As I recall, Simpson replaced all of the cracked handles sent to them. Would you have bought your 58 about that time?

Dave
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

Dave,

We took the commercial decision to replace, where necessary, old Simpson stock that was faulty during the first year of our tenure. This policy despite the brushes being made in a sub-standard manner, by another manufacturer in an age gone by.

That 'warranty' period elapsed some 12 - 18 months ago.

Brushes that are defective under 'our' watch are naturally replaced free of charge if purchased through an authorised vendor & provided they have not been 'abused' or 'ill kept'.

Hoping this clarifies the issue.

Mark
Dave T wrote:Craig,

There was an outbreak of Simpson handles cracking about four years ago. You should be able to find exactly when it occurred by searching the brush forum. It seems to me that there had been a bad batch of rod stock used for the handles. As I recall, Simpson replaced all of the cracked handles sent to them. Would you have bought your 58 about that time?

Dave
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

Mark,

Absolutely. Thanks for clarifying my post. I hope no one thought I was saying the current owners of Simpson are responsible four-plus years after the occurence under the former owners and management and craftspeople. I think you were very generous to cover the prior miscues as comprehensively and as long as you did.

I'm wondering, Craig, if there might be a way of banding the handle to close up the cracks, cover them and prevent further cracking, and give the brush a special look. Maybe something like a nickel band?

Dave
Bestarrkin

Post by Bestarrkin »

Every story has an end but each one gives another beginning. Sorry for your loss. Btw, it looks 56 to me and you can replace that knot with a new handle.
Last edited by Bestarrkin on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Throw it away...it has done its job and now it's time for a brand new 56... :wink:
Peter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Craig it looks like there are life signs yet. If it were mine I'd put in a small amount of epoxy but otherwise use it for so long as it lasts, could be years.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I would inject the cracks with epoxy, then sand and polish away the surplus. At the same time, I would order the replacement brush.

Chris
Likes having a spare, or two, or...
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

drP wrote:Throw it away...it has done its job and now it's time for a brand new 56... :wink:
throw it away! isn't there some sort of ritual for a simpson losing its life? maybe a glycerin soap melted and poured over it to encase it in a soap coffin then placed on the shelf?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Max's Brush End-of-Life Service

The brush can be sent to me. I'll see that is handled appropriately.
Regards,

MaxP

divotmax

Post by divotmax »

I had both a wood handle and a resin handle that cracked a couple of years ago. I got one of the small circular clamps used to hold hoses and used that on the brushes. I injected epoxy in the crack then tightened down the clamp (use something to protect the handle) and cleaned off the excess epoxy. After a day or so, the cracks were almost invisible and have never had another problem with either brush.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
yohannrjm

Post by yohannrjm »

Since the knot seems fine, you could have it removed and inserted into a new handle.

I know Rudy Vey does this sometimes, so you could give him a shout. It won't say 'Simpson' on the handle, but it will still be the same knot.

Make sure you get it set at the same loft, of course.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends."
The Highwaymen
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

This is what happens after the cracks fail completely:

The brush handle broke in my hand as I was lathering one morning.

I am now in the process of putting the the brush in a nice old butterscotch Rooney handle.

Regards,

Bill

For clarification this brush was NEVER dropped.
Don't think......shave.