"Massaging" Vs. "Painting" Lather Applic

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

"Massaging" Vs. "Painting" Lather Applic

Post by mantic »

THIS thread motivated me to do some research about lather application and whether "painting" or "massaging" created the best lather with a shaving brush. After messing with it on and off for the past couple of months I have come to a tentative theory: shaving brushes with short lofts or very dense bristle knots tend to work better with a painting motion, while brushes with longer lofts or less densly-packed knots tend to work better with a massaging motion.

But before I make a video about it I would appreciate some confirmation from those of you who have a variety of brushes in your collection. For myself, my Rooney SMF III, Emsplace "greys," VLB (turned all the way up) and C&E BBB seemed to work better with massaging while my New Forest and VLB (turned all the way down) worked better with painting.

--Mark
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Mark -

My experience has been just the opposite, assuming that by "massaging" you mean the circular motions that most seem to use for face-lathering.

I lather in a bowl and paint the finished product onto a very wet beard because my skin doesn't tolerate on-site lathering. For me, a tall loft with medium density and easy flex does the most efficient job of lathering in a bowl and the gentlest job of applying the lather. Shorter-lofted, stiffer, and denser brushes don't work well for me; in fact, they seem to be what face-latherers seek.

- Murray
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

meh...depends on preference..sometimes you need to "mash" the brush and sometimes painting is easier..probably how much lather is in the brush itself ...mixed with water of course
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

I think I might have to agree with Murray on this one actually.

Citing my Vulfix 2197P and Plisson size 12, noticeably less dense brushes with/and or a longer loft preferably seem to work best at this I've noticed.

When I try to use the denser brushes say a Duke 2 or a Rooney Stubby 1, TGN's, it just doesn't want to release the lather, it needs to be swirled a bit then "Painted" on.
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Araner

Post by Araner »

With my Omega 49 boar brush circular is the way to go.

With my Savile Row badger brushes, painting has the best results.

And, what does this all mean? Beats the hell out of me!

Mike
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

I massage on the first pass and paint on the second pass. I don't feel like I need to massage on the second pass since my beard has already softened.
Bob
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

CMur12 wrote:Hi Mark -

My experience has been just the opposite, assuming that by "massaging" you mean the circular motions that most seem to use for face-lathering.

I lather in a bowl and paint the finished product onto a very wet beard because my skin doesn't tolerate on-site lathering. For me, a tall loft with medium density and easy flex does the most efficient job of lathering in a bowl and the gentlest job of applying the lather. Shorter-lofted, stiffer, and denser brushes don't work well for me; in fact, they seem to be what face-latherers seek.

- Murray
The same here.But I will also say that fan shaped ones works better with circular motion,while bulb shaped ones works better with painting strokes.
JPDyson

Post by JPDyson »

Teiste wrote:But I will also say that fan shaped ones works better with circular motion,while bulb shaped ones works better with painting strokes.
Definitely something to this; pretty much explains the absence of bulb knots in my stable. I like the massage, and doing that with stiff, bulbous knots is very uncomfortable.
--Josh
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Mark - I always am amazed at the level of detail you bring out from such a simple joy as shaving. Your research is greatly appreciated but this woolfat evangelist. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Irrespective of loft shape, I find that some circular motions are helpful to initially get the lather to "pop." Thereafter, I use mainly painting motions with perhaps a few circular motions thrown in as necessary for lather generation.

I have never noticed whether loft shape (i.e., fan vs. bulb) matters.
Last edited by woodsrider on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I've also found the opposite to be true. Long haired 'floppy' brushes work better for me by painting the lather, and short denser brushes give me better scrubbing and 'massaging' action.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

respective of loft shape, I find that some circular motions are helpful to initially get the lather to "pop." Thereafter, I use mainly painting motions with perhaps a few circular motions thrown in as necessary for lather generation.

i paint to load my brush as well as to lather my face,, i only massage or do cirucular motion is and when i want the lather to be more airrated or thicker so to speak..

i use a rooney 1/1 in super or my beloved emillion

so i go with the quoted above

marc[/quote]
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

I had understood that the painting recommendation was from brushmakers and designed to make the brush last longer; and had nothing to do with the actual lather. Never have figured out how one loads a brush well with painting motions on the puck, though, but must admit I haven't tried. As to actually putting it on my face, I have to actual think about not using a circular motion. Have best luck painting with longer lofts and using circular motions with the shorter, denser lofts.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Churchill wrote:I massage on the first pass and paint on the second pass. I don't feel like I need to massage on the second pass since my beard has already softened.
I do much the same thing. I massage the lather into my beard in a circular motion on my initial pass, and paint in the following passes.
jww wrote:Mark - I always am amazed at the level of detail you bring out from such a simple joy as shaving. Your research is greatly appreciated but this woolfat evangelist. :D
+100 to that!! Your videos have been of great help to me over the years.
Cheers,

Craig
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

The type of brush used hasnt had much affect on my lathering style, always face lather starting with swirl scrub, finishing with paint motion. Floppers dont work well for me so it has directed my preferences toward smaller brushes with more backbone.
drumana

Post by drumana »

I use both massaging and painting motions with all my brushes, regardless of size or loft shape.
-Andrew-
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

the type of soap/cream i use determines the brush, to an extent. but the technique remains the same
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
giammi

Post by giammi »

I also noticed the opposite.

Having said that, I did not change my routine in regard to what type of brush I use.

I always start with a rotary, massaging motion and then finish with painting.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:lol: :lol:

very very much appreciate your efforts to make a veee Dee Ohh about this. I cant wait to watch it, for I am extremely skeptical of the 'painters' :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Short, dense knots are made for scrubbing. They give the feel and also need the extra work for flow. You don't have to work hard for the scrub.

Bulb vs fan shape is another issue. Bulbs need the extra pressure to get more lather onto the face. It also feels like more scrub because of the outer, shorter hairs that give support. Bulbs have a nice suction and provide more control for applying the lather.

The soft longer knots are for the painting but need to be squeezed at the base of the knot if you want some scrub, which makes it more messy.

Two bands tend to be bulbs, have spring to the loft and good flow-though for a great combination.
Ron