Removing and reinstalling a knot?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
DavidB

Removing and reinstalling a knot?

Post by DavidB »

Has anybody ever removed a knot from one handle and installed it in another?

Dave
druphus

Post by druphus »

I've done a lot of re-knotting (i.e putting a new knot in an old handle); but never what you suggest.

If you are willing to trash the old handle it should be doable, but you will have to cut the knot out of the handle without damaging it, which would seem to imply that the damage done must be to the handle. Once you get the knot out you should probably use something like a band-sander to clean up excess epoxy and make a nice plug which will be re-epoxied in the new handle. It would have to be a special knot indeed to justify all this work.
Regards,
Andy
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Take a gander at this thread on TSD.

Jeff's transplant brush used a plug, but you get the general idea.
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
rudy vey

Post by rudy vey »

I have transferred a couple of Kent BK4 knots into new handles. With Kent this is quite easy as the hair knots are in a plastic sleeve, so the hair is not attached with glue to the handle material. The same is true for Omega boar knots. The knots are sitting in a plastic sleeve as well. I even have removed the sleeve, which can be done when working very carefully. Right now I am transplanting a Vie-Long horse hair knot into a new handle. As far as Simpsons, I have transplanted only one knot from a broken handle into a new one (or glued fallen out knots back in the handles and put a Chubby 3 knot into a new handle).
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

We've done it many times although there are risks.
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919